Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   whats the best engine oil??? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/71782-whats-best-engine-oil.html)

Alvin 08-07-2006 04:06 AM

whats the best engine oil???

Is that time of the year to change engine oil.

As the title states "What is the best oil to use?"

Mobil one is what lve used maybe something better.

400TT 08-07-2006 04:46 AM

For street use I would recommend Castrol Formula R 25W-50 for 302w. Just change it every season.

Aussie Mike 08-07-2006 07:31 AM

Fully organic with lots of vitamins

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/752903b.jpg

:p

Rob. Smith 08-08-2006 03:59 AM

Has any one seen or used Royal Purple ? They claim to enhance bearing surfaces and improve fuel economy as well as increase torque and horsepower.

BMK 08-08-2006 04:17 AM

My Dad changed the oil in the family cars each 6 months. He religiously topped the oil up with an additive in a tube called 'Molybond' or similiar.

He took the old oil out of the cars and then did an oil change in the motor mower with the old oil.

:eek:..like him the motor mower is old, but still going strong. Now 'Molybond' may not exist today, but hell he used it all the time...:3DSMILE:.. even in the diff and the gearboxes...%/

Alvin, don't forget to do the filter and fill it with oil as you put the new one on. Then I'll bring my car over and you can do it also..:3DSMILE:

Bernie

427SnakeSC 08-08-2006 04:25 AM

I change my oil before putting it away for the winter, or every 3000 miles. Just before I change it, I add a little Dexron II to the crank and run the motor up to operating temp. The Dexron will help get rid of any sludge. I'm not sure you have it over there in Oz, but I use Kendal GT1 Racing Oil, 10W40. I have also used the Castrol GTX 10W40 and still do in my bikes. Actually, in my bikes, I use the 20W50, as per the manufacturers specs.:)

REDSC400 08-08-2006 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob. Smith
Has any one seen or used Royal Purple ? They claim to enhance bearing surfaces and improve fuel economy as well as increase torque and horsepower.

Rob:
I have used Royal Purple 10W-30 in the winter and 20W-40 during the summer in my 428FE now for about 1 and a half years. I change the oil in the Cobra twice per year, once in May and again in early October.

I also am using their gear lube in the differential along with a posi lube from Amalie. In the toploader I am using the Royal Purple trans gear lube.

The oil works well. However, the question is can you get it at a reasonable cost in Austrailia? Try www.rpmoil.com and perhaps they can inform you who in your area carries it.

Plums 08-08-2006 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie Knight
My Dad changed the oil in the family cars each 6 months. He religiously top the oil up with an additive in a tube called 'Molybond' or similiar.

He took the old oil out of the cars and then did an oil change in the motor mower with the old oil.

:eek:..like him the motor mower is old, but still going strong. Now 'Molybond' may not exist today but hell he used it all the time...:3DSMILE:.. even in the diff and the gearboxes...%/

Alvin, don't forget to do the filter and fill it with oil as you put the new one on. Then I'll bring my car over and you can do it also..:3DSMILE:

Bernie

The Molybond that your father would have used contains Molybdenum Disulphide (sp?), when mixed with oil it's kind of like liquid teflon. You use Moly grease on bearings and cam lobes when assembling a motor - very slippery stuff...

I just went to the cupboard and found a container of Molybond powder. We use it on the plastic magazines of the Steyr - it's very handy stuff to have around....

It's still available too I think, though with oil technology these days there wouldn't be much call for it's use.

speed220mph 08-08-2006 05:52 AM

Mobil 1 is my favorite for roller-cam engines, however I use Rotella in my flat-tappet engines because of superior high-pressure lubrication. For long-term storage, change oil, fire the engine, let it run just long enough for the clean oil to fill the oil galleries and bearing clearances, then shut off the engine. Don't warm up the engine because water will condense on cool down.

rdorman 08-08-2006 07:32 AM

I am the same as Tom... Mobil1 for roller cammed motors, Rotell T for flat tappet (they have a full synthetic now as well).

BMK 08-09-2006 03:46 AM

Hey Rick

Good to see you over here on the Aussie site mate.

Won't hi - jack Alvin's Thread but, sorry I missed London this year. All went well.

Perhaps Hersh and I can get back there next year in the GT40. Think he will be up to a six day trip with my driving his GT40 again by then..:LOL:

Regards to all in Columbus and London..

Post a link over here for the guys on the London event..%/

Alvin 08-09-2006 05:09 AM

thanks Bernie

ITs all about me!!!!!!!

Only joking...... HOws things going????

thanks for everyones help

Changing oil this weekend.

BMK 08-09-2006 04:05 PM

Hey Alvin don't lose sight of the fact that it actually all about me!!...:LOL:

All going well. Just heading to Vietnam for a week today and then catching up with my wife in Bangkok later next week. So will be away for a couple of weeks.

Mmm..:LOL:..well earned R+R

Must get the Cobra over to Dougs to sort out that cut and polish. If you see him let him know I'll be over soon..**)

Take care mate

Bernie

CSX 4027 08-09-2006 04:28 PM

Valvoline Conventional Racing 20/50

Bob In Ct 08-09-2006 07:56 PM

Don't use racing oil. Don't use additives. Don't use a viscosity higher than necessary to give you the pressure you desire. There is a pretty good chance that the major oil companies know what they're doing.

Although I have no proof, I would be very afraid of putting Dextron into my crankcase to remove sludge I probably don't have. When I was a kid (the 50s) the guy that owned the "filling station" near our house would use kerosene to clean out engines. I change my Mobil1 once a year, Last time I looked at the inside of the valve covers they had no sludge whatsoever.

Bob

CSX 4027 08-09-2006 08:28 PM

Shocked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob In Ct
Don't use racing oil. Don't use additives. Don't use a viscosity higher than necessary to give you the pressure you desire. There is a pretty good chance that the major oil companies know what they're doing.

Although I have no proof, I would be very afraid of putting Dextron into my crankcase to remove sludge I probably don't have. When I was a kid (the 50s) the guy that owned the "filling station" near our house would use kerosene to clean out engines. I change my Mobil1 once a year, Last time I looked at the inside of the valve covers they had no sludge whatsoever.

Bob

Bob,
Modern oils for modern engines. Period.
All of todays cars run tight clearance piston to wall and are hydraulic rollers.
That's what todays oils are designed for.

They don't design modern oils for yesterdays technology.
Valvoline Racing oil has enough detergent to prevent sludge unless of course you, are planning to run it for 10,000 miles.
I would think the average Cobra guy changes oil frequent enough.
It has the additives for flat tappet that are not had in modern oils and are not emissions legal.
Last time I checked, the average carb'd 60's motor wasn't emissions legal so,
"It's a match":confused:

rdorman 08-10-2006 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie Knight
Hey Rick

Good to see you over here on the Aussie site mate.

Won't hi - jack Alvin's Thread but, sorry I missed London this year. All went well.

Perhaps Hersh and I can get back there next year in the GT40. Think he will be up to a six day trip with my driving his GT40 again by then..:LOL:

Regards to all in Columbus and London..

Post a link over here for the guys on the London event..%/

Nice to hear from you Bernie! It just was not the same without you and Hersh:CRY: Hopefully, both of you can make it next year... it should be HUGE:) www.londoncobrashow.com June 22-24 2007