Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Speed Sensor (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/79174-speed-sensor.html)

WKB 05-24-2007 03:06 AM

Speed Sensor

Does anyone know of a speed sensor that I can use in a Supra Turbo(R154) gearbox. As the orignal one sticks out from side of the gearbox a fair bit it hits the chassis so I removed it and used the ABS speed sensor. The problem is that it appears the signal from the ABS speed sensor saturates at around 70 kph and speedo stops working.
Is anyone aware of a lower profile VSS that will fit into the Supra gearbox.
I tried to fit a right angle drive but it still hit the chassis.

Warren

400TT 05-24-2007 04:04 AM

We just used the factory ABS sensor from the Skyline rear. Can't remember now if we had to mod the signal coming out of the sensor. Autronic SM2 ECU of course.

Our Tremec 3550 had stripped out speedo gear, so that's why we looked at using the rear ABS sensor.

WKB 05-24-2007 04:38 AM

I stripped out all of the diff sensor and wiring and tossed it all before I installed the rear end. Where is that crystal ball.

Warren

sideshow 05-24-2007 04:59 AM

i have afew toyota manual gbox speed sensors

they are all 3 wire digital hall effect sensors

does it just run the speedo

some only stick out about 10 mm from the flush face of the gbox where the speed sensor pushes in
i can take a pic tomorrow night if u are interested

400TT 05-24-2007 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKB
I stripped out all of the diff sensor and wiring and tossed it all before I installed the rear end. Where is that crystal ball.

Warren

How are you going to run that traction control & launch control? :D

Be nice to have one of the new chassis with wider tunnel, now that would have also solved the problem.

WKB 05-24-2007 05:29 AM

Craig,
It would be nice to have the wider tunnel, this would also be useful to get the exhaust higher.

Sideshow,
The speed sensor is the one with nylon gear and permanent magnet in the head which is just the for the speedo.
If you take a picture it would be good, thanks. I have about 40mm between the chassis and the gearbox.
I have seen a picture of the VSS on IJZ manual Soarer which is low profile and would be suitable, but i am unsure where I would be able to get one. Would the VSS from a MKIV Supra auto be the same?

Warren

sideshow 05-25-2007 01:16 AM

i have some spare 1j spd sensors tell me where to email the pics

40 bucks if you want it

i can COD it

thanks