Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   A Couple of Engine Questions (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/89240-couple-engine-questions.html)

Merv and Sharon 07-12-2008 07:37 PM

A Couple of Engine Questions

In cleaning and (first) re-furbishing of my (coming) Ford 5.0L EFI motor I was going to replace many of the components (oil pump, alternator, water pump, starter motor and remove and blank off the existing fuel pump. The value covers will also be replaced.

Are there good sets of ARP bolts around to assist with this as I wasn't too keen on putting the old bolts back on?

Second, what is the best kind of gasket sealer to use on the supplied gaskets for water pump, oil pump and so on?

Merv

C0braed 07-12-2008 07:46 PM

ARP have an external engine bolt kit which is resonably priced and covers all the required bolts to assembe the engine. These are available in stainless steel or moly, hex head or 12 point. As for gasket glue I prefer pocktite gasket eliminator. A hint for the front cover if you are putting a new one on prior to doing this coat the inside of the water passage with Blue max (ultra blue) silicone as a barrier against corrosion.

Rob. Smith 07-13-2008 01:45 AM

Loctite gasket eliminator is the go ! (It's the purple stuff)Try Summit Racing for ARP bolt kits.
Smithy

C0braed 07-13-2008 05:00 PM

The part numbers for the bolt kits are as follows
ARP554-9801 Chrome moly black oxide hex head
ARP554-9701 Chrome moly black oxide 12 point head
ARP554-9601 Stainless 300 hex head
ARP554-9501 Stainless 300 12 point head
These are for a 289/302 small block only

Mando 07-13-2008 06:08 PM

I used the Stainless 12 point head kit on my motor. If you use stainless make sure you smear a little Loktite antiseize on the thread of every bolt. Dont take any chances.

Regards.

Merv and Sharon 07-14-2008 09:54 PM

Fantastic and thanks guys!

Merv

Thanks also to Optus!

Merv and Sharon 07-17-2008 12:17 AM

Have ordered a stainless ARP full set and the motor is 2 weeks away! It is a 1992 Mustang 302 EFI. Keen to see what shape it is in. In the meantime, off to Groote Eylandt for some fish bothering.

Merv

boxhead 07-17-2008 01:10 AM

Dont fall in the drink, the lizards are big out that way.