Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   willwood billet hubs/330mm rotors (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/94852-willwood-billet-hubs-330mm-rotors.html)

tuska 02-16-2009 09:49 PM

willwood billet hubs/330mm rotors

hi everyone, just got my willwood brakes for front out of box....6 pot calipers are huge!
My question has anyone got these on hq stubs as i will be using. There's tons of options on which way offsets on rotor/carrier/ hub can be put together and then i'll have to make spacer for caliper mounts. Havent got rims to check back spacing so thought i'd ask you all if it's been done before......got a pic?
cheers glen

Aussie Mike 02-16-2009 10:23 PM

Hi Glen,

I've done a fair bit of messing round with front brakes now. My front spindles are Jag and my hubs are home made but the principle is the same.

HQ run a 1 piece hub disk so you have to run aftermarket hubs. There should be a lot more aftermarket hubs available for HQ than Jag at least. Do the Wilwood ones fit OK?

Things to think about:

Wheel track: Where the mounting face for the rotor is in relation to the hub will effect your wheel track and the offset you will need for your wheels to keep them under the guards.

The offset of the wheel will determine your scrub radius when turning/steering the wheel. The scrub radius or I think called Scuff radius sometimes is the distance the center of the tread is from the axis the wheel turns on as it steers. The smaller the scuff radius the easier the steering effort and it reduces the kick back from bumps and potholes as the wheel effectively has less leverage.

The other thing to consider is clearance to your caliper mounting brackets. This is pretty easy to work around if you are running radial mount calipers. Lug mounts need a bit more messing round to make the brackets.

I've posted these pics before but here's a shot of the new hub with radial mount caliper bracket behind it.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Hub_16.jpg

Here's the hat style rotor mounted.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Hub_18.jpg

6 piston radial mount caliper bolted up

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Hub_19.jpg

Cheers

Merv and Sharon 02-16-2009 11:57 PM

This makes me think of an issue that I have been considering. My Harrison has new Holden disks and calipers. They are drilled for the Ford pattern to match the rears. However, I am not at all impressed with the construction of the Holden calipers. The pad retainers seem flimsy and the whole affair is messy to work with. Are there any reasonably priced alternatives that will fit?

Merv

Krait 02-17-2009 01:52 AM

Merv,

How about a set of AP's?

You can get a set of HSV ones at a reasonable price 2nd hand (check they are not cracked through the mounts) or go for a set of radial mount calipers.

Cheers

Merv and Sharon 02-17-2009 02:46 AM

Are these good Geoff and will they bolt straight on to the Holden hubs? Will do some checking.

Many thanks,

Merv

Krait 02-17-2009 06:21 AM

Merv,

I'm not a Holden (or Ford) guy so please don't take my comments as gospel.

I believe the HSV calipers/discs will fit but you will need to check. I assume you're running the Skyline rears so the brake balance may change.

I'm using AP's fore and aft with the radial mounts and 330mm discs. This is the setup used for V8 Ute series and fit VT to VZ series Commodores. I looked at going to a larger disc but it was a whole lot of pain and expense for very little gain given the weight of the car. My car has the fabricated IRS which uses Holden bits, so for me it was a simpler decision.

Give Matthew Pearce a call at Race Brakes 02 9609 1101. Sound him out about your options, he was pretty good to do business with.

Cheers

Mando 02-17-2009 07:53 PM

Geof, would you be able to answer a couple of questions regarding the spinners on your wheels.
The problem Im trying to overcome is that the spinners I have stick out to much
and look a little like Ben Hurs chariot.
- are the spinners from Vintage Wheels?
-if you had a spinner sitting on a table what would the measurement be from the
table to the very top of one of the spinner arms? I hope that made sense.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Krait 02-17-2009 11:17 PM

Hi Mando,

The wheels are from Vintage Wheels US http://www.vintagewheelsus.com

My wheels are still in California. I spoke to Bob last night and they should ship in a day or so.

Looking at your gallery your wheels appear to be bolt on. Mine are knock on. Vintage Wheels do make bolt on wheels now and perhaps the spinner supplied with these will suit your purpose. Is your intent just to find a 'flatter spinner' to bolt to your existing wheels?

I can talk to Bob again tonight and ask him the question.

Cheers

Krait 02-18-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mando (Post 922077)
-if you had a spinner sitting on a table what would the measurement be from the table to the very top of one of the spinner arms? I hope that made sense.

Mando,

Just spoke to Bob at Vintage Wheels US. The spinners from both the knock off and bolt on wheels are 2.5" from table to top of spinner arm (ear?).

Hope that is useful to you.

Cheers

Mando 02-18-2009 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info Geoff, the wheels I have are bolt on but Im using a threaded boss that slips into the wheel centre then the spinner screws onto the boss. My intention is to adapt Vintage Wheels to my car once the car is finished and registered. Its going to be a big job adapting knock ons to the Classic Revival kit due to the lack of dish on the front wheels. Ive spoken to Aussie Mike regarding minimum thicknesses for the pin drive adaptor that may be made for my car without loosing precious offset that I dont have. I think its going to be a huge job to get it right.

Regards.

Krait 02-19-2009 02:05 PM

Mando,

No problem, glad to help in whatever small way.

Call Bob at Vintage Wheels US. He hails from the UK and is very understanding of the issues that builders face.

Cheers

BMK 02-25-2009 12:38 PM

I still have a full set of Wilwoods for sale if anyone is interested. PM me.

Wazza 02-25-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMK (Post 924230)
I still have a full set of Wilwoods for sale if anyone is interested. PM me.

Hi Bernie,

PM Sent

Cheers

Warren.