Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Qld Police on the warpath!

Modified car owners in Queensland, beware! I was speaking to a gent who was pulled over the other day in a reasonably new HSV ute. He had fitted an approved aftermarket exhaust to the car, and lowered the suspension ride height slightly.
The police officer pulled him over with the express intention of inspecting the car. He kept him on the side of the road for 45 minutes, going over the car with a fine toothed comb.

End result - the only thing that the police officer could find was that the ride height (as measured on a heavily cambered and rutted road mind you) sat at less than the required 100mm or 4". He was told to continue to drive to work, but that the vehicle then needed to be "repaired" prior to being allowed back on the road. On a level ground, the owner subsequently measured the ride height at 92mm, so lifted the suspension and had the required roadworthy check performed. He took the paperwork back to the police later in the day.

The problem is that the police now have the discretionary powers to determine whether a vehicle defect is a minor or major infringement. The 8mm ride height difference was deemed by the police officer to be a MAJOR infringement, meaning a mandatory court appearance, with fines to be determined at that time!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can this happen?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

DH regulators!!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

He obviously didn't have $50 paper clipped to the back of his drivers license.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Since the advent of "Hoon Laws" the QPS have further discretionary powers than they did previously.

I would contest it on the irregular ground surface argument. ie. The car was inspected and deemed roadworthy on the same day as the alleged infringement.

The reason I would contest is that you have three infringement chances under "hoon Laws". After that the QPS can impound your car and it will cost $heaps to get it back.

Every infringement now counts.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Qld police

That'd be right! I've built a car that I can't even drive out of my garage! Thankfully the race car isn't sanctioned like this.....

Hmm, makes me wonder how the "P" plate driver who passed me yesterday at 120k's on the M1 reading a Super Cheap Catalogue on his steering wheel would fair...

So peeved was I, that I took a photo and drove straight to the cops... I nearly copped a $220.00 fine for using a mobile phone while driving! You're kidding me!

VOTE 1 Anna Bligh and Kev Rudd... The world may have gone mad but we don't need help!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

Send em to China.

What would they make of the guy last night driving the wrong way down the airport freeway on a three wheel motor bike (commonly used here for short haul deliveries) with no headlights on, oh and no helmet either.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Cameron
Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Hey Spooky, I've bad news on the mobile phone issue........the fine is $300.00 and 3 points...........got one to prove it today on the M1 Beenleigh, unmarked CAMRY of all cars!!
The copper asked if I was making an 'emergency call' and I told him the missus called for milk. The lousy bugger thought that wasn't a mercy call........he hasn't met my wife....
Old 03-06-2009, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi all

Speaking of unmarked police cars,
I was driving to Newcastle from Sydney and was passed by a young guy in a Holden going way over the 110kph limit and hot on his tail was a white BMW four door sedan.

A few minutes later they were pulled up on the side of the road and the driver of the BMW was issuing a ticket to the young Holden driver.

Another time I saw a driver pulled over by a cop in an older station wagon with a surfboard on the roof racks.

It seems there is no limit to the unmarked cars the police are using these days.

It is starting to take all the fun out of going out for a quick spin.

Dimi
Old 03-06-2009, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

The copper asked if I was making an 'emergency call' and I told him the missus called for milk. The lousy bugger thought that wasn't a mercy call........he hasn't met my wife....

You should've told him it was his parents ringing you up to invite you to their wedding !!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I go on to the gun owners site I am a memeber of and there are people from Australia complaining about gun laws. I come on here and it's the same thing only related to cars. Sounds like you guys are over regulated to me.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

ive said this before, but australia is the most over regulated country in the world, some of it for the better, but most of it is bull****, most laws are made for the morons and the lowest common denominator. tomcat
Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Qld Police on the warpath....

Read every States Police.....

The only problem is good drivers and genuine enthusiasts are getting caught up in the net. I have a neighbour that was pulled over in his '66 Ford Mustang.

The car is so good - a full resto - all brand new. It is easy to see when you lift the bonnet/hood or look under the car that it is all gloss and polished.

He wipes the suspension, under floor and diff down after being out on the road.

Yet he spent a similiar time being inspected. He said it wasa a real laugh as they had no idea what they were looking at.......
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

During my tour of duty down here on the Mexican border I attend alot of car shows and you would not believe what you can register on the roads in Texas.
You can engineer a car through the local system with a broken windscreen, no floor, drive shaft visible from the drivers seat, no fenders, open engine, nitrous etc etc. There are a number of cars they call Rat Rods legally on the road here and they are absolute death traps.
Bruce
Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First test drive last weekend in the cobra and I got stopped less tha 3 km from home. I had a permit so all was good but it has to be some kind of record.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

A mate of mine is part of the Lets Go Crusing Club, a collection of Rods, customs, etc it doesn't matter as the club is all about going crusing. It's a popular club.

Anyways, three meets ago coppers were all over the place, noting rego numbers, taking pics. Then at the next meeting the rozzas were stationed on every road leading to the meet issuing fines for speeding etc. Following that meet, my mate and many others were issued notices for faulty exhausts via mail! The organisors have had meetings with the police to make them back off but the word is as long as the cars are legal then there won't be problems.

Short story is clubs need to be smarter to avoid issues.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Revenue, Revenue,Revenue. That's all it adds up to. These cars are better finished than factory cars and they are maintained far more carefully than factory cars. Imagine, now that in NSW you don't have to have your new car roadworthy inspected for five years.
I've seen brand new 2 year old cars that are death traps. There are a lot of people that just get in and drive their cars and don't have any idea about maintenance. There are a lot of cases where the nrma is called because the oil light has come on! sad.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Angry Headed that way

I'm afraid we are going down that same road her in the US. Too many people think they can bury there heads in the sand and it will all just go away. Pelosi actually discussed a wind fall profits tax on retirement pay awhile back.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Rodney Rude had a song about QLD cops didn't he?