Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Single vs Dual plate clutch (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/104000-single-vs-dual-plate-clutch.html)

Tulsa cobra 04-16-2010 02:00 PM

Single vs Dual plate clutch

Just taking a brief survey on those who are running a single vs a dual plate clutch.

The heaviness of the single vs a lighter force on the dual vs easier to roll on the clutch of a single vs more "durability" of a dual vs clatter of a dual and so on......

Price wise seem to be nearly double.

Is there certain torque that yall would recommend dual, or certain situations.

Thanks for the input.

PANAVIA 04-16-2010 02:35 PM

Single plate, if the clutch is heavy . -- you should check on the pressure plate clamping force and the geometry of the actuation system.

Cobras are very ( very ) light and dont need a PP with a 3600 LB clamping force.

PANAVIA 04-16-2010 02:48 PM

Single plate, if the clutch is heavy . -- you should check on the pressure plate clamping force and the geometry of the actuation system.

Cobras are very ( very ) light and dont need a PP with a 3600 LB clamping force.

blykins 04-16-2010 02:51 PM

It's all based on horsepower and how much you can put up with.

A clutch kit works off of pressure plate force and the clutch disc material. If you have less disc friction, you need more clamping force. If you have less clamping force, you need a stickier disc.

I can provide clutches that are easy on the clutch foot and have great streetability up to about 550hp. Over that, then the disc material gets a little on the wild side and they have a greater possibility of chattering.

In my opinion, a twin disc clutch would be preferential in two situations:

1. You can't stand chatter or a heavy clutch pedal.

2. You're over 650 fwhp.

The twin discs are rather expensive. A good McLeod dual friction clutch setup runs around $425-450 depending on what size you need. A McLeod RST twin disc runs about $700 (plus you have to buy a throw out bearing). So it's not quite twice the cost, but it's a bump up. However, the pedal pressure is very easy, and the discs have organic friction materials on both sides, so they won't chatter.

For most Cobras that I've provided setups for (a LOT of customers are between 500-550hp), a dual friction disc setup works really well. For FE's and Windsors, I'll do an 11" Long pressure plate (RAM or Mcleod) with a dual friction (500 series McLeod or 900 series RAM) disc. The pedal pressure is not bad and there's a lot of grip. For 302's and 302 strokers, I'll do a 10.5" diaphragm plate and a dual friction disc.

A lot of problems that Cobra guys have with pedal pressure stems from their hydraulic master/slave setup. A lot of clutch master cylinders have a very large bore and it makes for a heavy pedal. I've had best luck with a 3/4" master cylinder. It provides a good pedal with adequate travel.

bobcowan 04-16-2010 08:35 PM

I'm making about 470 ft/lbs on the chassis dyno. Although I'v been to the drag strip a time or two, it's not really my thing. I put on a fair amount of street miles in a variety of conditions. And I do the open track thing 6-8 week ends a year. On the street I drive pretty easy, and like a well behaved vehicle. On the track I beat on it pretty hard.

I have a stock Mustang clutch pedal, cable, arm, and a Ford TKO Bellhousing. All essentially stock parts.

I use a Centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate, with a Ford bearing.

This combo is easy on the left leg, drives easy at slow speeds, not problems at stop lights in traffic, and hooks up well on the track. It's also quite durable. I'm afraid to experiment with anything else, because replacement requires engine removal. This is what it looks like after 2 years of abuse. I replaced the disc and PP, and resurface the flywheel. The disc and PP could probably have gone back in; but the parts are cheaper than my time to replace next year.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...tchsmall-1.jpg

FUNFER2 04-17-2010 06:47 AM

Bob- it's hard to tell with the photo but, is the flywheel really that blue from over heating ?

JUS BIT 04-17-2010 06:25 PM

My suggestion is the single disc. In most applications it works great! We have had very good luck with the Ram Powergrip and the Powergrip HD. It has great clamping force and rated at 550hp and 650hp respective.

The pedal effort is medium and easy to drive. You will get a bit of chatter with the HD, but not too bad.

Bests, James

bobcowan 04-17-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNFER2 (Post 1044831)
Bob- it's hard to tell with the photo but, is the flywheel really that blue from over heating ?

Yup, that's what it's from. Like I said, I beat on it pretty hard on the track. I talked with a number of racers, pro builders, and one machine shop. They all said it was pretty common (considering the use) and don't worry about it. I had it resurfaced and I'm running it now. The picture was taken during a routine overhaul in 11/08.

blykins 04-17-2010 07:08 PM

I like the Powergrip and Powergrip HD clutches too. They work well. They use a lighter plate with a real sticky disc.

They will definitely hold the power and are the best choice if someone doesn't want to spring for the twin disc stuff. With the sintered iron discs, they can be a little rough on the flywheel over a period of time though.

cbreez 04-18-2010 04:59 PM

Single disc...