Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Sidepipes

Well looks like something is loose within one of my side pipes as it is rattling terribly. Quick forum searches point to a busted spot weld on the internal baffle.

Has anyone replaced theirs with new side pipes that do not have internal baffles? My fear is this is something that will just happen again over time with the baffles.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

Do you have heat shields? If so, make sure the bolt didn't snap off the part that wraps around the pipe.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

Stainless Steel Specialties makes great replacement side pipes with turn outs. Either 2.5" or 3" ID straight thru with no baffles. The BDR baffles are very restrictive. You have to cut out the old mufflers and reweld the new. Highly recommended.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Todd-nothing external, I checked heat shield bolts etc. it's inside the pipe for certain.

GLS-how is the sound changed? Also ever seen any dyno figures from gains due to less restriction?

Last edited by EBruce; 08-16-2014 at 03:59 PM..
Old 08-17-2014, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

The sound has a deep throaty sound to it. I'll try to post a video clip if I can figure out how. When I crank it up most think I have much more than a 302.

The old BDR pipes had a flat baffle with 2 small pipes. Very restrictive. I didn't do a before and after dDNPJP6H1F8GKyno pull so I don't know the increase. I think the more cubes the more HP gained if you tune the carb.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     

After following members advice I sent my exhaust pipes to Stainless Specialties. After spending over 5 weeks at their place they were returned to me. What a mess. He managed to destroy them. The mufflers had dents, the welding looked like a 10 year old did it and the turn outs were bent. Got forbid I would ever have anything to do with them. To top everything off I have over $700.00 invested and no money back for all his damages to my exhaust.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo01 View Post
After following members advice I sent my exhaust pipes to Stainless Specialties. After spending over 5 weeks at their place they were returned to me. What a mess. He managed to destroy them. The mufflers had dents, the welding looked like a 10 year old did it and the turn outs were bent. Got forbid I would ever have anything to do with them. To top everything off I have over $700.00 invested and no money back for all his damages to my exhaust.
Thats not good... I was thinking of sending mine just because I didn't like the finish. I just wanted a re-polish. I doubt that will happen now....
Old 03-09-2015, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I sent my stainless pipes to Stainless Specialties (in Cleveland Tennessee) to have the mufflers cut out and replaced with new longer mufflers and they came out great. I paid $660 plus shipping. It took them 2 weeks to do the work, the welds look great and I couldn't be happier with the sound or performance. This was back in 2011. Based on my experience, I'd highly recommend them.

Chris
Old 03-10-2015, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry Stainless Specialties

Maybe in 2011 they had a qualified welder. Mine are in Conn at Vintage and Jay can tell you they are now junk. Not worth fixing.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Do you have photos?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have some pictures. Send email address to: jimbo01@embarqmail.com
Old 03-10-2015, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo01 View Post
I have some pictures. Send email address to: jimbo01@embarqmail.com
Do you need help posting them?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the first group from Jim we are working on a few more.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few more

Old 03-10-2015, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 FIA 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I'm interested in this thread. Does anyone have any information on increase of power after having sidepipes opened up? My mechanic said mine are restricting power. I don't if it's worth it or not to have them worked on, or just buy new pipes. God, I sound like a woman, "don't fix it, buy a new one", yikes, I need a shot and a beer.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the new BDR side pipes rattle like crazy during engine braking. awful. this is my second BDR, the first one was a late 2011 model and the side pipes never rattled, but the version I have now (2014) rattles like crazy when you come off throttle. Both cars has 427 dart blocks with 500-560 HP so the specs were very similar. Something changed with the baffles in the pipes between 2011 and 2014.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seems as no one is the US has a new set of Stainless exhaust for the Backdraft cars. Guess I will just have to be patient and wait. This has always been my problem with the car.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seems as no one in the US has a new set of Stainless exhaust for the Backdraft car. I guess I will just have to be patient and wait. This has been one major problem with my car.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, #209
Not Ranked     

I have an '04 #209 with a 347 and a nasty cam. When I installed the Stainless Steel Mufflers, the car I had a 302 crate and the HP went up about 30 at the rear wheels. With the "stroker" I cannot tell how much it helps but most around here (Denver) think about 10% gain.
The exhaust has a "rattle" or "swooshing" sound going thru (either way)2500 RPM. I'm told this is where the cam over lap is and that's what causes this strange noise. It's a nuisance but hasn't caused any noticeable problems in 30k.
There are other threads about the stock mufflers but the "Backdraft web site" went away a long time ago. There are two sets of tubes inside and this does cause restrictions and cracking problems Only issues with SSP muffler is it's 3.5 inches in dia and stock collector is 3.3 (metric).