Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Starting Problems (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/133155-starting-problems.html)

Dirty Harry 12-06-2017 02:43 PM

Does your car have a neutral safety switch that could be malfunctioning?

PeteH 12-07-2017 11:55 AM

I would think you would hear the click. If the battery ends are the type that have a bolted strap that mashes the cable between, take it apart, clean with wire brush/sandpaper thoroughly, grease and reassemble. A friend had his car towed when this was the only problem. A simple roadside fix.
Also remove, clean, grease the cable end on the starter. While these draw much less current than a Ford starter, a little corrosion can be a problem.
The only other thing I can think of is put a test light on the solenoid terminal to see if it lights when nothing happens. If it does, suspect the starter or connection on the starter. If not, could be ignition switch, or something with connection between switch and starter. Also carefully check any crimped spades or eyelets for cleanliness on the terminal, or breakage where it is crimped.

spdbrake 12-07-2017 01:39 PM

If your Bendix is stuck (starter gear always engaged to the flywheel) it would explain bumping the car in gear to fix the issue. If so... The starter brushes are probably shot from running all time against the commutator. Typ elec motors (and starters) with a flat spot in the commutator have to be bumped with a hammer or rotated slightly to get them to work again. Can be very random in natures as it depends on the stopping point of the motor.

BDR0572 12-08-2017 03:49 PM

Mine is 572 and had this issue last year , I believe it was a flat spot on my commutator, about every third run it would land on it and do exactly what your saying. i changed my starter have not had an issue since .Powermaster 9162 but will need to verify your fly wheel teeth number for fitment .