Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   New Backdraft RT3 owner. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/133722-new-backdraft-rt3-owner.html)

x96535 10-04-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 1353128)
Cashburn,

What modifications did you guys do to the exhaust on the Verde Ithaca car you built recently?

I would like around 500rwhp in this ride if possible. Would be easier to achieve with a supercharger I'm sure. A friend of mine works for Roush and can get me a great deal.

Ive seen some of the all motor coyote cars vintage has built and i keep wondering what a high winding n/a coyote feels like vs the blower cars...

Does anyone elses t56 feel real notchy, or is it just the big long sticked shifter? My t56 in my ws6 is smoother than this by a long shot.

Any updates on adding a blower vs heads/cams after a year of ownership? I'm in the process of purchasing a Backdraft with a Coyote and can see myself getting bored quickly with the power, coming from several 700 & 800 RWHP cars.

Cashburn 10-04-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x96535 (Post 1405179)
Any updates on adding a blower vs heads/cams after a year of ownership? I'm in the process of purchasing a Backdraft with a Coyote and can see myself getting bored quickly with the power, coming from several 700 & 800 RWHP cars.

What did those cars weigh and what nanny systems did they have (by this I mean driver aids to reduce driver destruction :3DSMILE:).

I'd be happy to talk Coyotes with you. We've done the blower cars in a couple different flavors. My favorite Coyotes so far included the stack injection we did with VCT intact and also another car with the Comp Cams and the Cobrajet Intake.

I think a Coyote with the stack injection and the Comp Cams cams would be fantastic.

x96535 10-04-2016 01:00 PM

Fast enough to run 9's in the 1/4 as a daily driver. I know the feel of the car is going to be different but the power to weight ratio is less in the Cobra. I think the stacks look cool, but if I'm spending that kind of money I might as well just throw a blower on the car.

The Cobra I'm buying is one of your builds #1240. I called y'all a while back about notifying me if any cars came in on consignment but no one ever got back to me.

Cashburn 10-04-2016 01:24 PM

I like the NA because you can really use the car and it's not some animal that comes on suddenly with furious anger!!! The cars that get wrecked the most in our experience are the Coyote cars and the supercharged versions are running higher than 50% crashed! I'm not kidding.

Consignments are tough, they usually come in and by the time we do our inspection, service, and marketing someone has already walked in and bought it. Example that last car we had on eBay went in 3 days of listing basically.

x96535 10-04-2016 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashburn (Post 1405187)
I like the NA because you can really use the car and it's not some animal that comes on suddenly with furious anger!!! The cars that get wrecked the most in our experience are the Coyote cars and the supercharged versions are running higher than 50% crashed! I'm not kidding.

Consignments are tough, they usually come in and by the time we do our inspection, service, and marketing someone has already walked in and bought it. Example that last car we had on eBay went in 3 days of listing basically.

In the event I do get bored and decide it's a good idea to make the car more likely to get wrecked, have you only done roots/twin screw blowers on the Coyotes or have you tried any centrifugal platforms?

Cashburn 10-05-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x96535 (Post 1405245)
In the event I do get bored and decide it's a good idea to make the car more likely to get wrecked, have you only done roots/twin screw blowers on the Coyotes or have you tried any centrifugal platforms?

Roots only.

tylerdurden 10-05-2016 10:46 PM

This might be a silly question, but do you guys buy your BDR's outright or finance? Once I recover from back surgery, I want to see if the seating position in a couple different sports cars aggravates it, and if not, want to try out a BDR :)

tylerdurden 10-05-2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashburn (Post 1405187)

any particular reason why the coyotes get wrecked more often? this is the engine I was considering if I get one. thank you

x96535 10-06-2016 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerdurden (Post 1405346)
any particular reason why the coyotes get wrecked more often? this is the engine I was considering if I get one. thank you

It probably has less to do with the engine and more to do with the type of person attracted to that particular setup. I would ASSume most of the gentlemen that opt for the more nostalgic, carbureted setups are buying the platform for the enjoyment of simply driving the car, and most of the gentlemen that opt for the Coyote or other late model engines are more inclined to push the car to or beyond their limits.

That's not to say the guys with the older style engines don't push their cars, but it's a different type of enthusiast.

I wanted the Coyote b/c I didn't care about the nostalgia that would hide under the hood. I also desired something extremely reliable that will start up every time, not wreak of gas while driving around with the wife and, most importantly, have a ton of mod potential.

I equate a lot of Cobra owners to Corvette owners. There are those that stand around their car at a car show with the hood up, ungodly amounts of useless chrome everywhere and spout off numbers to anyone that passes by that might lend an ear (without ever truly pushing their own cars to the limits of said numbers they are spouting off). Then there are those that may go to shows, but for the most part drive the piss out of their Vette any chance they can. The latter is more likely to end up wrapped around a tree, but they'll enjoy every second leading up to it.

-----

And to answer your previous question about paying in full versus financing, it's probably an even split. I've heard great things about Woodside Credit as a means to finance the Cobra. Backdraft even lists them on their website as the sole suggested finance provider. Best of luck with your surgery. I hope the other sports cars don't work out and you have to end up in a BDR.

Millsy 10-06-2016 12:25 PM

These cars are not necessities so IMO they should be bought in cash, if not then a minimum of 50% credit and the other 50% cash. If you finance a big portion of the car and something financially goes wrong in your life then you will be forced to sell the car at a steep loss. I also have health issues, 13 shoulder surgeries and thats why i am working with Jay fom Vintage, he set up the seat and even put tilt steering in so it would fit what i needed perfectly. I told him exactly what i needed and he made it happen. Find the closest dealer and go sit in the cars, ask for a test ride as the passenger so u can see how it affects your back. Goto a cobra event and try out different seats if the owners will allow it. I also am having power steering in it. Who cares what engine is in it as long as it is what you want, hell i have a PP GM LS3 being put in mine and i dont care what anyone thinks. Life is too short to worry about what people think. Good luck with your back and never give up

Ace23 10-06-2016 04:45 PM

I'm sinking an unwise amount into my current 427 SPF but it will be just as I think I want it once I am done. I would love to have a coyote powered coyote as a second cobra one day. I think the 5.2 coyote with the gt350 head and cam upgrade and enough rear gear would be a pretty sick ride......I know myself and I would probably go with a twin screw setup. I have never ridden in a coyote powerd cobra but I imagine they are very smooth to drive and when blown are extremely dangerous. I plan to make take a drip to checkout vintage next time I am in the northeast. I really want to see some of the backdraft creations in person.

123redtail 10-06-2016 08:28 PM

have coyote with vmp blower. neighbor has lamborgini LP700 ,friends have dodge charger scat pack. both are easy to floor it when you want too ,because of stability ,traction control etc. backdraft way more scary to drive.now the charger feels slow.Lamborgini feels OK fast but not close to backdraft.backdraft feels like it going to do a wheelie when you nail it.driving the backdraft in dry is like driving a normal car in the rain ,all the time. so its fun ,but always keeps you alert.

tylerdurden 10-06-2016 08:42 PM

thank you all for the input!

The coyote appealed to me due to reliability. Had thought about the SC version of the coyote just in case I wanted more power, but honestly, I think I'd rather have something I can wind out a bit but not necessarily be geared to go crazy fast. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

I'd love to get something a bit more unique, but ultimately relative comfort will settle things. Of course, I'll have to sit in a few :)

Luckily I'm in a recession proof industry and appreciate the flexibility of financing... assuming the terms are reasonable.

123redtail 10-06-2016 09:03 PM

actually went to Voss performance this week to have my backdraft serviced and gone thru.i asked him what I should do to it ? eric voss the owner said change the oil and drive it .said coyote motor needs nothing .so a shop did not even want to take my monie because the coyote motor is a everyday drive it and forget about motor. personally I didn't want the blower but it was already on the car, bought used .wanted a coyote motor to drive without any hassles . Voss is actually a superformance dealer.but work on backdrafts too.

tylerdurden 10-06-2016 09:07 PM

I appreciate it when they look to make a long-term customer

I see Voss is down in the LA'ish area... I might go check them out next time I'm down there

x96535 10-07-2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123redtail (Post 1405427)
actually went to Voss performance this week to have my backdraft serviced and gone thru.i asked him what I should do to it ? eric voss the owner said change the oil and drive it .said coyote motor needs nothing .so a shop did not even want to take my monie because the coyote motor is a everyday drive it and forget about motor. personally I didn't want the blower but it was already on the car, bought used .wanted a coyote motor to drive without any hassles . Voss is actually a superformance dealer.but work on backdrafts too.

I'd be happy to take that blower off your hands then.

123redtail 10-09-2016 10:11 AM

forgot to mention .as far as drivability goes. the coyote motor is so smooth at low RPMs. when I first starting driving my BDR I constantly ended up in 3rd gear at stop signs without knowing it. the tremec 600 5 speed it very smooth and tight compared to my other manuals. over 20 times easily I started in 3rd gear , never slipped the clutch never stalled. after in a full roll is when I knew it was in 3rd as of course the throttle response was different. I could lose !st and 2nd and drive all day around town and be relaxed . I have 3.73 diff. at low rpm not to loud and very smooth.

tylerdurden 10-09-2016 10:18 AM

I was wondering how loud they were at idle or low rpm. kinda hard to get a decent feel from a video on my laptop :)

jeez, I posted a pic and it still hasn't been approved by mod

beemerb0y 05-29-2019 08:27 PM

Does Naples Motorsport negotiate the prices of their brand new Backdrafts?

ront49 05-30-2019 01:56 PM

BDR build 151

Congratulations on your new BDR...looks great! Mine has a 418 stroker, Ford Performance Windsor base block, Victor Jr. aluminum heads, Air gap intake, scorpion roller rockers, Holley 750, not real sure of the crank and cam but it has a defined "lope." 500 + hp, way more than this car can handle without the addition of some street slicks and a sticky track. Good Luck and safe driving.;)