Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   need sidepipe options to get the decibel level down (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/138144-need-sidepipe-options-get-decibel-level-down.html)

spdbrake 07-15-2017 08:47 AM

Just a side note: I was wrong on the temperature of the external case these Flowmasters run at.
My Bride got snakebit yesterday.

FUNFER2 07-16-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo01 (Post 1423030)
I talked to Firefly about a year ago and was told by them they only produce exhaust for the Superformance cars. Sure wish they would make them for the Backdraft cars as what you get from them is very poor quality. I know I have a set from them.

We can build you a custom set from Firefly/Gilmore Kit.

Firefly Stainless Steel performance pipes have been designed

Thank you,
Kevin Gilmore

AdamIsAdam 06-11-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevins2
... Question for those with "standard", less restrictive pipes - I believe the packing used is high temp fiberglass, correct? My Harley had glass packed baffles and the glass deteriorates over time and they slowly get louder. Is that true of the packed side pipes? If so, that is another consideration when considering the trade-offs involved with choosing exhaust.

Kevin

I was wondering about this with my FFR stock pipes. They are loud, of course, but also have a sort of metallic hammering sound, especially on deceleration, that I'm not crazy about. I'd love to quiet them down a bit. I have ceramic coated setup and love the look, so I'd rather work with them if possible. The Cobra only has 1,600 miles but is 7 years old. Maybe the fiberglass has settled or worn.

As long as I'm asking, I have a more basic question: How does one go about "replacing" the muffler? Do you cut the welds before and after that center section, weld back in the new muffler, have it ceramic coated, and then reinstall the entire thing onto the car?

I was seriously considering the Flowmaster Slimline but they seem to be discontinued.

And what about adding those baffles that slide into the tail pipe?

fastd 06-11-2020 12:31 PM

how many decibels are you producing over the 90 limit?

AdamIsAdam 06-11-2020 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
90 db limit? That's a funny joke :LOL:

This reading was taking by my phone's db app from driver's seat while sitting at a stop sign giving it a little rev.

patrickt 06-11-2020 04:08 PM

I spent a good bit of time having my car sound exactly the way I wanted it to. My "quiet type" pipes, from Stainless Specialties, now out of business, make 95 decibels at idle right next to the outlets. The stroked and bored FE has a SFT cam with 96 degrees of overlap seat to seat. Together, the sound is perfect. Not too loud, but not too soft. Remember, it's the combination of your mill and your pipes that make the sound just right. :cool: You can click below to hear it both idling and accelerating.

rodneym 06-12-2020 12:13 PM

I think that db app company has their Peak and Max turned around.

AdamIsAdam 06-12-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1478315)
I think that db app company has their Peak and Max turned around.

Yea, the word "peak" should really say "Current"
"Max" means highest reading for that session of using the app, of course.

AdamIsAdam 08-21-2021 08:52 PM

I recently had Georgie install his Gas-N touring side pipes on my car and I couldn't be happier. I don't even need ear plugs any more. But when I get on it, the car sounds GREAT. The idle sounds better too, with a deep rumble. Two Cobras you.

https://youtu.be/dUOx7HpvcNw

1795 08-22-2021 04:49 AM

Georgie is the best! I have been thoroughly impressed with the workmanship and the ability to customize. Nice to hear that he has helped you.

FredG 08-24-2021 11:31 AM

Heat...

Do they get as hot as the regular pipes without a baffled cover.

Fred

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam (Post 1496113)
I recently had Georgie install his Gas-N touring side pipes on my car and I couldn't be happier. I don't even need ear plugs any more. But when I get on it, the car sounds GREAT. The idle sounds better too, with a deep rumble. Two Cobras you.

https://youtu.be/dUOx7HpvcNw

AdamIsAdam 08-24-2021 12:26 PM

I dunno, I have not touched them yet. :) I'll take temp readings next time I drive it.

FredG 08-24-2021 12:38 PM

Temperature

They look nice and very well made but are they insulated at all. I have enough burns from mine before I put the covers back on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam (Post 1496242)
I dunno, I have not touched them yet. :) I'll take temp readings next time I drive it.

AdamIsAdam 08-24-2021 12:54 PM

I'm sure you can have covers installed. these are custom made for each order.