Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Greetings (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/139568-greetings.html)

Raabit 10-24-2017 09:05 PM

Greetings

Greetings All,
I just recently purchased my first Backdraft cobra #1124. Unfortunatly, I suffered a half shaft failure. My question is how many others have also seen the bolts backing out on the half shaft?
Thanks,
Mike

Ozzie Goat 10-25-2017 07:34 AM

Previous discussion:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/back...ing-loose.html

Raabit 10-25-2017 12:49 PM

Good data! Thanks!!

Kobura 10-25-2017 06:45 PM

Apparently, your car was finished by Vintage MotorSports/Jay+Brian. Should you have a need, you could call them and they probably will remember the details of your build.
BTW, I know of three other BDRs here in NorCal, mine an one other are in the Bay Area and the other two are/were in the Sacramento area. if you are interested in hooking up with one of their gatherings, keep a lookout for a posting here on CC. Maybe our roads will cross one day as well.
Enjoy your car, but be smart about doing so.

cbreez 10-26-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raabit (Post 1431730)
Greetings All,
I just recently purchased my first Backdraft cobra #1124. Unfortunatly, I suffered a half shaft failure. My question is how many others have also seen the bolts backing out on the half shaft?
Thanks,
Mike

Someone leaving bolts loose doesn't sound like a half-shaft failure...:eek:

ItalGerBrit 10-26-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbreez (Post 1431782)

Half shaft bolts backing out is not uncommon. I have had it happen many times in my race cars as well as my Hummer(H1). It is a maintenance item that should occasionally be checked. Drilling holes in the heads and then safe tying them with safety wire will prevent the backing out. Normally, you will hear the clunking early enough to stop and re-torque the bolts.

Grey 65 10-29-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzie Goat (Post 1431740)

Not same issue, this thread is for the 6 hex bolts securing the half shaft to the output flanges of the diff.

The link you provided is for the forward 14mm hex bolt that secures the diff itself to the subframe.

Ozzie Goat 10-29-2017 10:59 AM

You are correct, sir.

So excited to SEE a post in the BDR forum, and I didn't find the correct search results.
Search is our friend.

BDR0572 10-29-2017 01:46 PM

Bolts in half shafts

I check mine after a hard run for fun and have found a couple loose, I'm looking at adding safety wire holes to resolve this issue . :)

Raabit 10-31-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobura (Post 1431763)
Apparently, your car was finished by Vintage MotorSports/Jay+Brian. Should you have a need, you could call them and they probably will remember the details of your build.
BTW, I know of three other BDRs here in NorCal, mine an one other are in the Bay Area and the other two are/were in the Sacramento area. if you are interested in hooking up with one of their gatherings, keep a lookout for a posting here on CC. Maybe our roads will cross one day as well.
Enjoy your car, but be smart about doing so.

I dont think VMS did my car. Unless they just provided the rolling chasis to SRE (Spiegel Racing Engines) as he was the builder (Engine and Trans). For a while he was a Backdraft dealer in Calif. I look forward to meeting up some day in the future.

Mike

Raabit 10-31-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbreez (Post 1431782)

I suppose you could classify bolts coming loose as "not" a failure. Maybe more in line with an assembly issue. The allen bolts within the assembly, not the hex bolts on the outside are what came loose. This resulted in the half shaft breaking the rear diff cover's mounting ear (I assume that's what it is called). You really cant safety wire the allen bolts that came loose as they are all recessed. I ended up using some red loctite on reassembly and also pulled the other side apart and did the same.

Raabit 10-31-2017 03:06 PM

I will say though that there is quite a bit of good information on this site that has already porven to be very helpful. As a newbie to the hotrod world it's very helpful. Thanks all!

Cashburn 11-02-2017 03:40 PM

You cannot have BDR1124 because that car is overseas now. Here is the build gallery: The Gallery / Roadsters / BDR1124 | \\VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS

Raabit 11-04-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashburn (Post 1432200)
You cannot have BDR1124 because that car is overseas now. Here is the build gallery: The Gallery / Roadsters / BDR1124 | \\VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS

You are correct. It's build # 1125.