Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Steering Quickener (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/142260-steering-quickener.html)

FredG 04-25-2019 06:58 PM

Steering Quickener

Hi everyone.

Has anyone had any experience and success with installing a steering quickener on a manual steering Backdraft to improve the steering response.
Thanks

Fred

bobcowan 04-26-2019 08:52 AM

I'v never used one. Wouldn't that increase steering effort?

Grey 65 04-26-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredG (Post 1461026)
Hi everyone.

Has anyone had any experience and success with installing a steering quickener on a manual steering Backdraft to improve the steering response.
Thanks

Fred

Just put a BMW Z3 rack in the car using a KRC pump...

FredG 04-26-2019 07:57 PM

Steering Quickener

Car has electric steering in it that works very well but I am not happy with the response I get from the current rack which I understand comes from a Toyota Pickup. Seriously, Toyota rack installed by the factory in a Backdraft cobra?

Karl Bebout 04-26-2019 08:36 PM

FredG, you're shocked that Backdraft used a Toyota rack? BMW stuff is OK, but not Toyota? Even the revered CS used about anything that would do the job, or that he had laying around in the corner...

Ozzie Goat 04-27-2019 11:55 AM

you should see what your camber and caster are before going after hardware

Three Peaks 04-27-2019 12:40 PM

Typically, trucks have much slower turning racks to accomodate loads, larger tires, etc... I would call Backdraft to see if they know of a rack with the same specs but faster turning specs. I would suspect the BMW they used to use would come with a faster rack but you would have to verify with Backdraft or somebody who knows how to measure your existing geometry or rack to match it up....

hauss 08-06-2019 07:21 AM

If you want to turn quick just stab to the go pettal you will be amazed how quick you will turn! Just work on your skills a little driving your car rather than trying to reengingineer it.

eschaider 08-06-2019 12:39 PM

Fred,

As you quicken manual steering you increase the car's ability to manhandle you through turns on a road course or elsewhere. If you quicken the steering by using a power assisted rack you increase the control you have and decrease the car's ability to manhandle you through the turns.

Take a look at this video of a Cobra on the track and watch how the driver fights the wheel to maintain control of the car. Click here => Cobra Vid...Pay attention around the 45 second mark. This is the first of several fairly impressive battles between man and machine.

On a road course, it is a continuous battle between man and machine. Anything you can do to get a leg up, so to speak, in the battle is worth doing. Quickening steering w/o something like a power assist to help you maintain control might be less attractive than you suspect.

Ed

cycleguy55 08-06-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Bebout (Post 1461066)
FredG, you're shocked that Backdraft used a Toyota rack? BMW stuff is OK, but not Toyota? Even the revered CS used about anything that would do the job, or that he had laying around in the corner...

Including Volkswagen steering columns!

hauss 08-12-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1465240)
Fred,

As you quicken manual steering you increase the car's ability to manhandle you through turns on a road course or elsewhere. If you quicken the steering by using a power assisted rack you increase the control you have and decrease the car's ability to manhandle you through the turns.

Take a look at this video of a Cobra on the track and watch how the driver fights the wheel to maintain control of the car. Click here => Cobra Vid...Pay attention around the 45 second mark. This is the first of several fairly impressive battles between man and machine.

On a road course, it is a continuous battle between man and machine. Anything you can do to get a leg up, so to speak, in the battle is worth doing. Quickening steering w/o something like a power assist to help you maintain control might be less attractive than you suspect.

Ed

Way beyond my skills! that was crazy! I was starting to sweat just watching.You are correct steering quickeners are a good thing.

bobcowan 08-13-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey 65 (Post 1461042)
Just put a BMW Z3 rack in the car using a KRC pump...

How much of a "bolt in" process is this rack? Any particular year/model better than others?

I'm thinking of doing exactly this.

Grey 65 08-14-2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcowan (Post 1465553)
How much of a "bolt in" process is this rack? Any particular year/model better than others?

I'm thinking of doing exactly this.

Pretty easy actually... You can get the entire kit 3.2 turns and an aftermarket rack from Backdraft... Or you can do what I did and call Backdraft and get their install kit minus their 3.2 turn aftermarket rack and then source a real OEM BMW Z3 rack which is what I did. You can get a rebuilt OEM Z3 rack from the The Rack Doctor He has 3 racks.. You can buy either the 96-97 or the 98-02 NON 3.2L rack. The 3.2L rack is 3.2 turns and the other two are 2.7 turns.