Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Headlights (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/143928-headlights.html)

xb-60 08-11-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdbrake (Post 1481138)
I still am not understanding Gaz64 and XB-60 not taking a look at the RHD Hella lights from the UK I posted above which clearly show the lenses are flipped compared the to factory BDR Hellas....

I looked at the pictures posted and my thoughts were that the lights are RHD, but to be doubly sure before commenting, I had a look at the lights on my '76 Alfa, and also the lights on my Cobra. They both had the same RHD glass pattern that is in the OP.

Cheers :D
Glen

SBSerpent 08-13-2020 10:27 AM

So I figured out why my City Light bulb is not working. Although it is wired on the backside of the headlamp, it's not wired back to a 12V source.
So I'm thinking that since I have a non-functional toggle switch on the dash (wired for an electric fuel pump which I do not have), I can utilize that switch for turning on/off the City Lights on the Hella headlight. Just have to put the toggle switch in line with the supply wire to the little bulbs. But first I need to confirm that the two wires currently attached to the switch are fused (i.e. connected to the fuse box where the E. Pump fuse is located...if there is a fuse there).

Any glaring flaws to my thoughts on this?

cycleguy55 08-13-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBSerpent (Post 1481203)
So I figured out why my City Light bulb is not working. Although it is wired on the backside of the headlamp, it's not wired back to a 12V source.
So I'm thinking that since I have a non-functional toggle switch on the dash (wired for an electric fuel pump which I do not have), I can utilize that switch for turning on/off the City Lights on the Hella headlight. Just have to put the toggle switch in line with the supply wire to the little bulbs. But first I need to confirm that the two wires currently attached to the switch are fused (i.e. connected to the fuse box where the E. Pump fuse is located...if there is a fuse there).

Any glaring flaws to my thoughts on this?

I don't see any 'glaring flaws' - but have you thought about wiring them to the parking / running lights circuit? Alternatively you could set them up as DRLs, either with a DRL module or a relay that powers them up when the ignition is on.

SBSerpent 08-13-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1481205)
I don't see any 'glaring flaws' - but have you thought about wiring them to the parking / running lights circuit? Alternatively you could set them up as DRLs, either with a DRL module or a relay that powers them up when the ignition is on.

"I don't see any 'glaring flaws' - but have you thought about wiring them to the parking / running lights circuit" :o

Of course! Just splice directly into the hot lead of the parking light harness, which is right there!!!! I'm sure it wouldn't be too much more of a current draw on that circuit - not to the point where it would blow the fuse.

SBSerpent 08-15-2020 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spliced, diced and connected! Now I have city lights! Tapped right into the parking light 'hot' wire.

My apologies for the rotated view. Happens every time I attach a photo.

SBSerpent 08-21-2020 10:40 PM

Resurrecting this thread....is there a Hella 7" headlamp with City Light that is designed for LHD vehicles (RHT)? This would be a direct factory replacement for the current Hella I have which is designed for RHD vehicles (LHT). A part number would be greatly appreciated.

Gaz64 08-21-2020 10:52 PM

Here are some LHD lamps, note the cutoff in the prism is in the opposite side of the glass:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-LHD...-/391721829489

spdbrake 08-22-2020 08:09 AM

SBSerpent, sent you a PM