Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   2004 Backdraft Racing 392 Stroker with TKO500 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/144042-2004-backdraft-racing-392-stroker-tko500.html)

obxfishrman 09-15-2020 09:49 AM

2004 Backdraft Racing 392 Stroker with TKO500

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum to ask the following:

Having had several various sports car from Corvette Z06 to Shelby Gt500, most all modern muscle I had decided to look at a eye catching Sterling Grey with silver stripes, 2004 Backdraft Racing Cobra.

The car is a 2004 build with Build # 216. It has a Ford Racing 392 build sheet shows (built by Speed Fanatics) and TKO500. It also has a hard and soft top included by the owner. Car has 9,000 miles.

What do you think is the current market value for an car in very good condition? I haven't seen many older backdraft racing cars to have a comparision.

SBSerpent 09-15-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obxfishrman (Post 1482632)
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum to ask the following:

Having had several various sports car from Corvette Z06 to Shelby Gt500, most all modern muscle I had decided to look at a eye catching Sterling Grey with silver stripes, 2004 Backdraft Racing Cobra.

The car is a 2004 build with Build # 216. It has a Ford Racing 392 build sheet shows (built by Speed Fanatics) and TKO500. It also has a hard and soft top included by the owner. Car has 9,000 miles.

What do you think is the current market value for an car in very good condition? I haven't seen many older backdraft racing cars to have a comparision.

To give you a comp, I paid 46k for a 2011 build (BDR build #983) with 4200 miles on the odometer. Ford Racing motor (351W stroked to 392). Tremec T5. Spectra blue with white stripes, black interior. Car is/was in immaculate condition when I bought it this past May.

I had been looking at BDRs, Superformance and F5s for months and found this to be a very good deal. Bought it from the original owner who kept the car very well maintained for 9 years.

obxfishrman 09-15-2020 02:36 PM

Thank you for replying. Thought I would get a great response.

If you paid 46k and your build is 7 years newer I wonder what the estimated depreciation is for a 2004 car with 9,000 miles. Hard to value these cars it seems.

How do you like the 392 and TKO500? Are you happy with your build and car? I posted two photos of the car I am looking at.

SBSerpent 09-15-2020 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by obxfishrman (Post 1482652)
Thank you for replying. Thought I would get a great response.

If you paid 46k and your build is 7 years newer I wonder what the estimated depreciation is for a 2004 car with 9,000 miles. Hard to value these cars it seems.

How do you like the 392 and TKO500? Are you happy with your build and car? I posted two photos of the car I am looking at.

EXTREEEEEEMLY happy with my BDR. BDR builds a quality car and I have been very pleased with the performance and attention to detail. The 392 works respectfully well and with the 430HP, that's a lot of 'oooomph' for a 2300 lb car. I have the T5 tranny and the shifting is very smooth.

My ONLY complaint about the car is the 9qt oil pan. It sits very low, affording me only 2 1/2" of ground clearance. I've already scraped it twice which resulted in small holes both times. I'm in the process of swapping out the pan with a smaller volume pan that will give me an additional 1 1/2" of ground clearance

Have you had the opportunity to test drive a Cobra yet? It is definitely a different driving experience - stiff ride, unlike a luxury sports car. But it is fun as hell. And the attention these cars get is unbelievable. Thumbs up everywhere I go.

I would hesitate to estimate as to what the car you are looking at is worth, but it appears to have been well maintained. What is the seller asking?

Apologies for the sideways photo. Everytime I upload a photo, it gets rotated.

Soundkillr 09-15-2020 05:36 PM

I bought an 11 a few years ago with a real fe. Mileage was 1500. I paid 57k
Love this car! Backdrafts seem to do well with resale and holding value.

obxfishrman 09-15-2020 06:14 PM

Yeah, I actually drove the one I am looking to buy. Incredible driving experience really. I am an odd ball... 38 years old and still like the nostalgia of the car and to me it looks really amazing. I don't get hopped up on the latest and greatest, but do like a reliable car and it seems that is the reputation of Backdraft racing Cobras from what I have read. I just wonder the value of a 16 year old built. Car looks like a 2 year old build inside and out with nice shiny paint and clean interior.

Serpent, with the 392 do you run 91 or 93 octane ?

SBSerpent 09-15-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obxfishrman (Post 1482659)
Yeah, I actually drove the one I am looking to buy. Incredible driving experience really. I am an odd ball... 38 years old and still like the nostalgia of the car and to me it looks really amazing. I don't get hopped up on the latest and greatest, but do like a reliable car and it seems that is the reputation of Backdraft racing Cobras from what I have read. I just wonder the value of a 16 year old built. Car looks like a 2 year old build inside and out with nice shiny paint and clean interior.

Here in the Republic of California, 91 octane is the highest available. No problems whatsoever with engine performance on that grade of gas.

Hows the tread on the tires? Still lots leff? Is the tread wear on the front tires even and symmetrical? have you had an opportunity to inspect the underside of the car? Check for any fluid leaks? Scrapes on the oil pan?:LOL:

What is the asking price on the car?

SBSerpent 09-15-2020 07:18 PM

Have you checked out the Cobra Country website? There is a litany of various Cobras (sold and un-sold) that might be able to give you a little more background as to pricing. Only private party listings on this website. No dealers. Although you may find some PP sellers asking Dealer level prices.

SBSerpent 09-15-2020 07:43 PM

https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...a-bdr268-yale/

spdbrake 09-15-2020 08:02 PM

https://www.cars-on-line.com/shelby.html

SBSerpent 09-15-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdbrake (Post 1482670)

Good source but don't use the dealer prices as a guideline for your negotiations. Way overpriced.

SBSerpent 09-15-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obxfishrman (Post 1482659)

obx, just sent you a PM

obxfishrman 09-15-2020 10:16 PM

Serpent, I didn't get a PM from you.

SBSerpent 09-16-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obxfishrman (Post 1482677)
Serpent, I didn't get a PM from you.

obx, I have sent two responses but for some reason, they are not showing up in my 'sent' box. Can you check to see if you have received them?

6t8stang 09-16-2020 10:39 AM

I would guess low to mid 40's on price.

I have no personal experience with the BFG tires on a cobra, but I believe I recall many people who had them they couldn't believe how little grip all around they had. Depending on age and tread left, you may want new tires if you buy it. I've been very happy with my Nittos.

SBSerpent 09-16-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6t8stang (Post 1482699)
I would guess low to mid 40's on price.

I have no personal experience with the BFG tires on a cobra, but I believe I recall many people who had them they couldn't believe how little grip all around they had. Depending on age and tread left, you may want new tires if you buy it. I've been very happy with my Nittos.

A friend of mine has the 15" GoodYear Billboard bias ply tires and hates them from a handling standpoint, but they do look awesome from the retro standpoint. I have the 17" wheels with the GoodYear F1's and the car handles great at speed through the turns.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/back...ise-twins.html

Thunderbird123 09-17-2020 04:53 PM

I've recently (within 1.5 years) seen 3 RT3s with 5,000 or less miles with a SBF 427 (Ford Racing and Roush). Years range between 2011-2013. Miami, Lakeland and The Villages in FL for between 43 -49k. All good condition. Hope this helps.

I instead decided on a new build

nathanmargolis 09-23-2020 01:48 PM

Older Backdraft Value

Sounds like we have kissing cousin Backdraft. Mind is a 2005 and #329. Purchased in two years ago with 3,600 miles from original owner.

He priced based on what he paid for it 13 years prior and his fun factor. Think he paid $40K new and I purchased for $42K.

I was told by a Backdraft expert that if I did not like the car, "I would not get hurt if turned it around on a quick sale." My expert who is in the Cobra business just sold a low 200 Backdraft for $47K and it was really nice.

So I would say a good price from an individual would be $40K to $45K would be a fair price.

The only problem I had with the car was from the get go- and that was tires were original and needed replacing. One of the knockoffs would not come off and everything was tried. The final solution was cutting the wheel off and purchasing a new set from Vintage Wheels.

My suggestion- assuming the car you are looking at has true pin drive wheels, see if wheels come off before purchase and if not, discount for a new set of wheels.

People told me I would sell the Cobra after a year or two but have no intentions of doing so. It is my favorite fun car of all time.

SBSerpent 09-23-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanmargolis (Post 1483078)
Sounds like we have kissing cousin Backdraft. Mind is a 2005 and #329. Purchased in two years ago with 3,600 miles from original owner.

He priced based on what he paid for it 13 years prior and his fun factor. Think he paid $40K new and I purchased for $42K.

I was told by a Backdraft expert that if I did not like the car, "I would not get hurt if turned it around on a quick sale." My expert who is in the Cobra business just sold a low 200 Backdraft for $47K and it was really nice.

So I would say a good price from an individual would be $40K to $45K would be a fair price.

The only problem I had with the car was from the get go- and that was tires were original and needed replacing. One of the knockoffs would not come off and everything was tried. The final solution was cutting the wheel off and purchasing a new set from Vintage Wheels.

My suggestion- assuming the car you are looking at has true pin drive wheels, see if wheels come off before purchase and if not, discount for a new set of wheels.

People told me I would sell the Cobra after a year or two but have no intentions of doing so. It is my favorite fun car of all time.

I've heard that it's good practice to remove the knock-offs once every year and re-lube with anti seize

hauss 09-25-2020 10:43 AM

In ca the car should sell for 65k with proper paper work .