Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Torque on driveshaft bolts? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/144192-torque-driveshaft-bolts.html)

SBSerpent 11-04-2020 08:05 AM

Torque on driveshaft bolts?

The 4 bolts that secure the driveshaft to the BMW drive axle assembly? Was under the car and figured I would check those and found that I could get about 1/8 turn on all four of the nuts without much effort.

hauss 11-04-2020 01:39 PM

I red lock tighted mine recommended you do the same for the half shafts had one come apart bolts on flange came loose.

xb-60 11-04-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBSerpent (Post 1484846)
The 4 bolts that secure the driveshaft to the BMW drive axle assembly? Was under the car and figured I would check those and found that I could get about 1/8 turn on all four of the nuts without much effort.

What size are the bolts? What thread pitch (fine thread, I would expect)?
What grade are the bolts?

Cheers,
Glen

spdbrake 11-04-2020 05:58 PM

Driveshaft to
final drive flange (M10compressed nut) . .60 Nm (44 ft-Ib)

xb-60 11-04-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1484863)
....What grade are the bolts? ....

If they are M10 standard pitch (1.5mm), and grade 8.8, then torque suggested is 55Nm

They may well be grade 10.9 for driveshaft to final drive; if so, torque suggested is 75Nm

Cheers,
Glen

spdbrake 11-05-2020 03:48 AM

Those are BMW specs for the E36 (BDR diff). They're M10- 1.25 pitch 10.9 but in shear not tensile load. No real need to smoke the torq up. My original D/S had pressed in studs, and the replacement BDR D/S needed bolts so I used M10- Arp hardware.