Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Driver's Seat Slider (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/144374-drivers-seat-slider.html)

Gus M 01-07-2021 08:59 PM

Driver's Seat Slider

I was driving today and applied the clutch only to have the driver's seat slider give way and fully retract backwards. The driver's seat slider will no longer latch into a position that I need without retracting when applying the clutch.

At 5'9", 170 lbs, that's a problem in reaching the pedals with the drivers seat all the way back. A new slider has been requested from Backdraft.

Has anyone replaced a slide? Is is difficult to remove the seat? Any input as to a better slide for the driver's seat as an alternative?

Any applicable input is appreciated.

Thanks

Gus

spdbrake 01-08-2021 05:55 AM

I'd stick with the BDR sliders as your current holes in the seat and car will be the same.
Aftermarket sliders can be a crap shoot and on-center spacing on-seat and to-car details are rarely provided.
Removing the seat cushion will give access the the seat to slider fasteners. Sliding the seat full aft exposes the forward fasteners and forward slide the aft ones. Removing the track to car fasteners is easier with two ppl.

Gus M 01-08-2021 03:20 PM

Thanks spdbrake! I'll try that as soon as the new slide arrives.

SBSerpent 01-08-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdbrake (Post 1487472)
I'd stick with the BDR sliders as your current holes in the seat and car will be the same.
Aftermarket sliders can be a crap shoot and on-center spacing on-seat and to-car details are rarely provided.
Removing the seat cushion will give access the the seat to slider fasteners. Sliding the seat full aft exposes the forward fasteners and forward slide the aft ones. Removing the track to car fasteners is easier with two ppl.

What is involved in removing the seat cushions?

FredG 01-09-2021 06:19 AM

Cushions

Mine just pop right out. The bolts for the slider are easily accessible right under it. Looks like this.

Fred

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...mbs/seat_1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBSerpent (Post 1487494)
What is involved in removing the seat cushions?

Mattsvtcobra 01-11-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredG (Post 1487498)
Mine just pop right out. The bolts for the slider are easily accessible right under it. Looks like this.

Fred

[/url]

I pulled mine up by accident one day... now I have a sweet little cubby that no one knows about... until now I suppose.

spdbrake 01-11-2021 07:52 AM

That's where I stow my Reg and Ins paperwork in a ziplock.

cycleguy55 01-11-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus M (Post 1487468)
I was driving today and applied the clutch only to have the driver's seat slider give way and fully retract backwards. The driver's seat slider will no longer latch into a position that I need without retracting when applying the clutch.

At 5'9", 170 lbs, that's a problem in reaching the pedals with the drivers seat all the way back. A new slider has been requested from Backdraft.

Has anyone replaced a slide? Is is difficult to remove the seat? Any input as to a better slide for the driver's seat as an alternative?

Any applicable input is appreciated.

Thanks

Gus

Is it possible the lever return spring has just broken or slipped out? Does the slider need to be replaced, or just removed, inspected, cleaned and re-installed? I would think sliders are pretty reliable, so I'd bet on the latter.

Gus M 01-11-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1487572)
Is it possible the lever return spring has just broken or slipped out? Does the slider need to be replaced, or just removed, inspected, cleaned and re-installed? I would think sliders are pretty reliable, so I'd bet on the latter.

I can see that the "teeth' are engaging into the slide but when applying the clutch, that force pushing back into your body is enough to have the teeth pop out of the slide and the seat goes flying back. Could that be a spring issue?

cycleguy55 01-11-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus M (Post 1487590)
I can see that the "teeth' are engaging into the slide but when applying the clutch, that force pushing back into your body is enough to have the teeth pop out of the slide and the seat goes flying back. Could that be a spring issue?

It could be wear on those teeth or the slots they engage with, but I'd look at the spring.

This photo shows the spring, attached at one end to the track and to the engagement pawl lever at the other. If that spring is broken or dislodged, or if there is something else interfering, the pawls won't engage properly and would disengage when force is applied to the seat.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-6661...880498.jpg?c=2

Cashburn 01-11-2021 07:44 PM

Put the seat where you want it and then swap out 2 of the mounting bolts for a bit longer bolt. It will lock it in that setting.

Gus M 01-11-2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashburn (Post 1487596)
Put the seat where you want it and then swap out 2 of the mounting bolts for a bit longer bolt. It will lock it in that setting.

Thanks. It's an option if all else fails. I like using the slide to get in and out. Makes it easier when you drive closer to the wheel to get out, hence, I use the slide every time I use the car.

I think what's really needed is a two slide rail system as you have in your everyday car. Waiting for the new slide and we'll see what happens.

Gus M 01-11-2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1487595)
It could be wear on those teeth or the slots they engage with, but I'd look at the spring.

This photo shows the spring, attached at one end to the track and to the engagement pawl lever at the other. If that spring is broken or dislodged, or if there is something else interfering, the pawls won't engage properly and would disengage when force is applied to the seat.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-6661...880498.jpg?c=2

Thanks Brian, This is helpful although I believe I have a slightly different slide design.

Gus M 01-24-2021 10:36 PM

New slide has been installed, problem solved! Thanks for all of the input!