Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   space out wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/144825-space-out-wheels.html)

coach36 05-15-2021 01:42 PM

space out wheels

Hey, anyone who successfully spaced out wheels to flush them with the body?

Btw, do you also have the left wheel standing way deeper in the wheel well as the right side (yes it's aligned)?

Lou1119 05-15-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coach36 (Post 1492905)

Btw, do you also have the left wheel standing way deeper in the wheel well as the right side (yes it's aligned)?

With the power and torque that these things deliver I would be wary about spacers. Talk to backdraft regarding your options

spdbrake 05-15-2021 06:37 PM

Iconic sells two different length peg drive bolt for the newer BDRs. The longer ones are typically use on the front hubs as they have a bolt on pin drive adapter the rear adapters are integral to the hub and the bolts can be shorter.
The long one is 6.5mm (.25" longer) probably not enough for your needs but if you do the measuring of the hubs and rotors you may be able to use a thicker spacer than 1/4" once you see what your thread engagement really is. Spacers should be a 5x120mm pattern (BMW)
https://www.iconicparts.com/peg-drive-bolts.html

If you have a 4 wheel thrust alignment done they can tell you if its a Drivetrain shift or not. If its not the Drivetrain that pretty much only leaves the body sitting on the frame cockeyed.

FredG 05-15-2021 07:47 PM

Wheel centering

There is a recent thread on the Backdraft Boyz facebook page about centering the wheels in the wheel wells. Apparently the unevenness is caused by the way the body is mounted to the frame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coach36 (Post 1492905)

Mr Barnwood 05-15-2021 09:25 PM

I have a Unique and had a spacer on my right front tire with no problem.
If you are ever near Ripon or Manteca please call me and I’ll buy you lunch or a beer.
209-614-0456
Joe

Danr55 05-16-2021 09:53 AM

I own a Contemporary with wheels from Vintage Wheels, USA. The outside edge of the rear wheels sets inside the fender by about 2 inches. Make is difficult when you go over some roads with lots of swells rather than humps. When the car comes down, the tire rubs on the inside of the fender.

KarlzEE Bebout 05-16-2021 10:23 AM

What am I missing? The inside of the wheel sits flush against a flat surface and held tight either by lugs and nuts or by a knock off spinner. What is the difference if that flat surface is a brake drum, rotor/spindle, or spacer?

krausewich 05-17-2021 05:51 PM

I have 1" rear spacers on my Midstates with a solid axle. It has deep dish vintage American racing wheels. Really only need to worry about it on your fronts as the spacers will affect the scrub radius and add a little more stress to bearings

355spider 05-24-2021 06:16 PM

I've owned several cars with 600+hp with spacers. Never had a problem but I don't ever buy cheap ones.

t walgamuth 05-24-2021 08:13 PM

i too have used spacers a lot with no issues. Up to 1" thick. I am careful though about getting enough threads to catch in the nuts.