Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Pictures of power steering (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/145909-pictures-power-steering.html)

Gone 05-13-2022 08:11 PM

Pictures of power steering

Anyone with power steering installed have any pictures of what the brackets look like? I’m trying to figure out how the power rack mounts in.

Thanks in advance!

t walgamuth 05-14-2022 01:25 PM

What kindof rack is it? My ford based bolts onto two large bolts which are welded to the frame. We just unbolted the rack and bolted in the new.

Gone 05-14-2022 09:53 PM

I have a manual rack now looking to switch it to power

Lucky275 05-16-2022 11:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is for a RT3

Gone 05-16-2022 06:10 PM

Thank you!!

MBE 06-28-2022 06:28 AM

I have a Classic Roadster with a 4.6 DOHC V-8 that fills up the engine bay. What power steering pump did you use for your install? Do you consider electric power steering if there was a kit available? Where could I buy a kit that would bolt on?
Thank you for any information.
Bob

t walgamuth 06-28-2022 02:12 PM

Mine is power too. It looks like the one just above pretty much.

I had an electric ps unit in my lotus 7 replica. It was ok, lacking in feel I thought a bit, but what the hey it has won about 17 national titles. (none with me driving) There is not room in the right place for the electric in the Cobra.

The best thing about the electric was you could vary the boost by turning a knob.

427snake 06-30-2022 02:53 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This is my power steering. you can adjust the strength of the support steplessly.
The steering is from GM. the cost was about $250 with the used power steering

t walgamuth 06-30-2022 04:53 AM

We used a chevy pump with the ford rack...no issues.

1985 CCX 06-30-2022 07:19 AM

I cannot find the power steering in my car?? :confused:

MBE 08-06-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky275 (Post 1506416)
This is for a RT3

My classic Roadster is mounted differently than that. I would like to get away from mounting a pump on the engine.
Thanks for the pictures.

FredG 08-06-2022 01:18 PM

Rack mounts

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the pictures of my old rT3 manual rack mount and the mount for the BMW Z3 rack. You need to make 2 plates for the top and bottom with spacers.

Waitey 08-08-2022 03:07 AM

@FredG Do you have a drawing of that bracket and the spacers please?

FredG 08-14-2022 01:55 PM

Brackets

Sorry I don't have any pictures or measurements for the brackets. A backdraft dealer and well-known mechanic out in California put together a power steering kit for me and shipped it to me here on the East Coast. He did it as an experiment to see if it's something that he might want to do down the road for other people but as of now he hasn't decided because it was a lot of work and he is very busy. If you are handy with metal fabrication and welding, you can make the brackets yourself. Once you have Z3 rack you can measure how long they are, where the holes are and how big the spacers need to be. The spacers are welded to the brackets but I think that's just the way he did it and not required. You will also need to change the tie rod ends to match the BMW power rack.