Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Roush 427IR Idle issues are Back!! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/146106-roush-427ir-idle-issues-back.html)

169mph 07-20-2022 09:51 AM

Roush 427IR Idle issues are Back!!

I have Backdraft with a 427IR with 3.5K miles. I normally pull her out of the garage and let her warm up for about five minutes before going for a drive. She usually idles around 1050-1100 rpms. Here lately the RPMs will drop to around 800 and almost stalls before the engine RMPs jump backup to 1050. This will go on for a few minutes before the engine eventually stalls. This exact same thing happen about a year ago (see post) below. The first time this happen I installed an areomotive 340 fuel pump and replaced the wiring connectors and changed fuel filter downstream of pump. I thought this fixed the issue but about a month later I had the same issues. The problem just went away. Well its back. See video below. Any advice will be appreciated. Mike

https://youtu.be/2eeasd1m2bA

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fuel...le-issues.html

russdana 07-20-2022 05:25 PM

I had same issue but have an LS. Mine would sometimes almost die after heated and driving at same rpm for awhile then pushing clutch it would have to catch itself. Had to retune it. Not sure about your injection but might be something to look at.

eschaider 07-22-2022 07:35 AM

Which EFI system are you using? Have you data logged the engine while it is misbehaving and what diid the data log say?

patrickt 07-22-2022 11:10 AM

If that was a Holley four barrel, I would bet my bottom dollar the air bleeds were clogged with crap. Seen it many, many times. Now, I know that's not what you've got, but just keep that in mind as you diagnose your system.

169mph 07-22-2022 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1508920)
Which EFI system are you using? Have you data logged the engine while it is misbehaving and what diid the data log say?

I have a XFI Sportsman but I don’t have any data. I assume I need to purchase their software to pull the data or see it real time?? I wouldn’t feel comfortable tuning but I would definitely like to see what’s going when she’s idling up and down. I plan to check / re-torque the intake manifold this evening. I believe intake should be torqued to 23ft/lbs? I appreciate the help.

eschaider 07-22-2022 12:28 PM

Duplicate post

eschaider 07-22-2022 12:34 PM

That is one of FAST's systems and it is a fairly nice system. When you bought the system from FAST (through Roush) FAST provide the tuning softwqre and the data logging software as part of the purchase. Try contacting Roush and asking them to forward the software to you. You have already paid for these tools, you should have them to research and fix these sorts of whoopses.

169mph 07-23-2022 11:38 AM

I took her for drive yesterday and she idled nice and smooth. I didn’t change anything. Started her today and the idle issue is back. I kept the engine from dying until engine was warmed up and then I revved the engine up three or four times. The engine idled fine until I turned the headlights. Immediately after turning the lights on the engine acted like it was going to die. The same thing happened when I turned electric fan on. Note that these issues usually go away after I’ve been driving her for 5-10 miles. Could this be alternator issue? Thanks, Mike

HighPlainsDrifter 07-23-2022 01:11 PM

High esistance

you probably have a bad engine ground, higher resistance means lower amperage. also clean and file the back of the alternator where the long bolt goes into engine. If it is a chrome alternator file the chrome of that spot.
Perry:MECOOL:

eschaider 07-23-2022 08:01 PM

If you have electircal supply issues, fuel delivery issues, sensor related issues or any of a myriad of others, data logging the interesting signal during an engine misbehavior event will immediately tell you what is going on with that particular system. If it is misbhaving then you will know where to look for gremlins. If it is not misbehaving it tells you the problem is elsewhere and may even point you in the direction you need to go depending on what other signals you were watching at the time.

169mph 07-23-2022 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1508957)
If you have electircal supply issues, fuel delivery issues, sensor related issues or any of a myriad of others, data logging the interesting signal during an engine misbehavior event will immediately tell you what is going on with that particular system. If it is misbhaving then you will know where to look for gremlins. If it is not misbehaving it tells you the problem is elsewhere and may even point you in the direction you need to go depending on what other signals you were watching at the time.

I’m calling Roush Monday morning to see if they can provide me the tuning and data logging software. As always I appreciate your help.

Mike

169mph 08-17-2022 09:12 AM

How do my spark plugs look?

2 Attachment(s)
I finally found time to pull the spark plugs, which has been a pain. Regardless, I took a few pics to get opinions on how they look. 427IR w/ 3400 miles. I apologize for the size of the pics. Thanks, Mike

Tommy 08-17-2022 09:21 AM

If that plug was from one of those highly complex and difficult to tune carbureted engines, I'd say it was running rich.