Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   rear end gearing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/48254-rear-end-gearing.html)

jmkkingpin 12-18-2003 10:25 AM

rear end gearing

Are the 3.10 gears that that come with the bdr cars enough?what kind of carbs are you using on your 392s?

Boudy 12-18-2003 07:15 PM

Ha! We'll just call you, "Mr. Trick Question."

Gears are application specific. Take 350 HP for example; I love the 3.91 gears. Bump up to 400 HP and 3.49 gears seam to feel better. The gears are probably best at around 450 HP or so. Kick it up even more and 3.10 gears may seam a bit tall. It's all relative and preferance.

A mild mannered 392 as in the Ford Crate is around 430 HP. A 750 cfm seems to work fine. I use a 670 on this one as I hate to tune one back.

Hope it helps, but then 3 other guys can give you 3 more opinions.

Boudy

bullseyeprec 12-18-2003 08:29 PM

mine came with a holley 770 cfm street avenger. Good looking card anf performs very well. Word around the camp fire is that with a light car and std trans a dbl pumper has a performance edge but the vac. secondary is a little smoother and easier to drive on the street.

Todd Spence 01-05-2004 11:08 AM

I was given a ride in a demo by my dealer "Boudy" and it had the 3.9 gear. It was in a 350 hp car. I got the 392 crate and kept the 3.9 gear and really like it. I'm not after high speed I would rather have it a bit quicker. I'm glad he put the 3.9 in for me.

clayfoushee 01-05-2004 11:42 AM

I agree with all of the above, but it also depends on torque, not just HP. In my BB, 3.31 seems ideal....still burns out if I really want it to, but 1st gear is actually usable, and I can actually start out in 3rd at a good clip. It also depends on where in the power band your motor develops it's big HP and torque numbers.

Tony Radford 01-05-2004 01:43 PM

I agree with Clay. I think that most of the Uniques come with 3.31 rear gears when configured with a four speed trans. I'm still taching a little under 4K at 80 MPH. If you're running a 5 speed trans, you can afford to go with a higher gear since you have that overdrive 5th. Of course first gear becomes basically useless. It's nice having a little length to first gear.