Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Bowtie Snakes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bowtie-snakes/)
-   -   Turnkey Chevy Smallblock (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bowtie-snakes/53279-turnkey-chevy-smallblock.html)

S_Beaudry 04-30-2004 06:06 PM

Turnkey Chevy Smallblock

I will be building my first Cobra in the next few months.

Anyone know where to find turnkey GM small blocks for under $4,000 or so?

Any help is appreciated........

viking 04-30-2004 07:02 PM

http://www.paceparts.com/store.asp

Tim Brewer 04-30-2004 08:58 PM

You want to put a" WHAT " kind of engine in your Cobra?
You'll wish you hadn't when you someday want to sell.

need4speed 04-30-2004 11:40 PM

Salle Chevrolet has quite a few options as well. Some are GM-built crates and some are GM-built crates that are tweaked by Sallee. I have a clone of the GM ZZ430 built by Sallee and so far it has been an excellent engine. I am not sure what shipping would cost you since they are in OR but it was not too bad from OR to AZ.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Crat...rformance.html

Lightingrod 07-16-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Brewer

You want to put a" WHAT " kind of engine in your Cobra?
You'll wish you hadn't when you someday want to sell.

True on the resell but alot more fun before then! I'm getting a race setup in the next few weeks, 427 FE with 2 x4's 4 sp with 3.42 gears I think! I have ridden in his and I'm going to smoke him!

Excaliber 07-16-2005 04:38 PM

Just say NO!

Yetiman 07-16-2005 06:01 PM

yea, sheesh... some guy like me might buy it.

I will say, the guy I bought my car from had a tough sell, and I got a great deal on the car.

So much better for me (he and I both prefer the bowtie motor).

It's just a car. Build what you like.
Why be like everyone else ?

mr bruce 07-16-2005 06:07 PM

build a Cheetah and kill cobras with wreckless abandon.

Lightingrod 07-16-2005 06:46 PM

I must say his 427 FE with 2x4's looks good but I do believe my SBC 383 is going to smoke him! With the 3000 stall converter, 3.06 1st of the 700R-4, 4.11's with 275-60-15 BFG drag radials it's pretty quick out of the hole.

vettestr 07-17-2005 07:21 AM

S_Beaudry,
Check with your local GM dealer on SB replacements. The generic 350 replacement carb'd engine is the best buy. It is also the lowest HP but a few goodies bring her right back to your desires. I am a shop so I get discounts but on the sale items you can purchase at the same price as no discounts on sale items apply. I can get a long block for $990!!! True the HP engines are more but with the price of aftermarket parts you have a bunch to play with. Just installed a 383 storker - fastburn heads and all but cost was 4K for 430 HP model. Came with 3 or 36 warr on the HP engine as an added benifit.
The warr says no modifications accepted but the counter guy could care less about details and just paperwork to him. I had an owner that wanted his HP parts so think he returned with stock parts. Engine failure was nis fault anyway as he cooked it from coolant leak.

lacoste 08-31-2007 06:36 PM

I have a cobra with a 350 chevy motor in it . i have enjoyed many trouble free miles .i guarantee that your cobra will turn heads going down the road no matter what motor it has in it .( its a COBRA ) some people can only dream of owning one .So if you can build one build it for yourself and enjoy. i did and have enjoyed every minute of it.

CHANMADD 08-31-2007 11:58 PM

I have a 406 small block,0.030,Aluminum heads,H beam rods (6"),full floating pistons ,Iski small base circle cam 254...0.575 lift ,solid lifters and 1.6 roller rockers.I built this and other similar motors ,Ford included, myself after to many bad experiences with machine shops.
This motor pulls 8000rpm,and just screams from 3000 up.

Lightingrod 09-01-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHANMADD
I have a 406 small block,0.030,Aluminum heads,H beam rods (6"),full floating pistons ,Iski small base circle cam 254...0.575 lift ,solid lifters and 1.6 roller rockers.I built this and other similar motors ,Ford included, myself after to many bad experiences with machine shops.
This motor pulls 8000rpm,and just screams from 3000 up.

Sounds pretty "HOT" there CHANMADD! When I get a few othe projects out of the way I want to upgrade to a roller cam and some AFR heads. That should get me over 500 hp.

I never did get an all out run with the FE! We did get to play a little when we were out on a cruise, he didn't like the out-come. The first time I think I made him a little gun-shy. While he was looking for a gear I had a couple of lengths on him, shocked the heck out of him! We rolled'um on a couple of other times, I stayed in front but not by as much as the first time! He don't bad-mouth SBC's any more!
:LOL: :LOL:
Al

G_Edmonds 09-02-2007 06:47 AM

Build your car the way you want it. You can always get a toyota if you want to be like everyone else.

fastraxsg 09-02-2007 07:09 AM

I'm with the "do your own thing" crowd here....if you want to be abit more on the odd side, try a tweaked Lexus V-8. That will turn some heads, and scoot right along...have fun, that's the most important thing.

Phansm72 09-18-2007 05:40 PM

I guess being different is what its all about , I have a 2000 lonestar with a 406 stroker bowtie in it and a 1993 Mazda RX7 with a 2002 LS1 6 speed setup in it.

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421481857/53.jpg

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450021816/1.JPG

skibum2 09-18-2007 09:28 PM

Hahahahaa....

Contemporary, with "454"... goes kinda fast and alot of smiles to the gallon...do what ya want, it's just a toy.... :LOL: ,:LOL: ,:LOL: