Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Cobra View Post
Pardon my ignorance but...
How is it even possible to install front wheel bearings backwards?
... you have to install them on the back wheels frontwards.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII 351W/408 Stroker
Send a message via AIM to capteddie
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider701 View Post
Maybe the two Ed's will be trapped in the snow storm together, break out the hot chocolate, and make some smores together and put this relationship back together.

If they are stranded long enough they can have an "Extreme Cobra Weekend", "Pimp-my-Cobra", or "Overhauling" moment and finish the car off together.
Well.... I know public postings + the internet = drama for a lot of people, but.

DV has the car. No ill words, no pushing or shoving and no hot chocolate and smores

We shook hands when I got there. Talked about the what a wild project it was and then closed my last chapter of this book. I'm sure he will have much more to add, as he modifies, customizes and corrects things to now make the car his...

Done and done
Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

It's not over until DV offers "chocolate chip" restitution. No drama, no hard feelings but the man HAS to be held accountable!

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 12-11-2010, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Dan,
Amazing, but as usual adding your unknowing 2-cents out of the clear but snowy sky. Why should I Not be surprised? Taken over the "Fling" yet? Or as I now understand it, the London Cobra show.

Ed, I assume you made it home safely with the weather closing in. Just so you know, it is not the Tank nor the a.r.e. fitting that is dripping gas! It's actually the seal/fitting right behind the A.R.E. fitting, much like "Banjo Seal" as on brake line. I will put on a new pressure washer, presuming that will take care of that.,

Final buffing, fix the thin fiberglass on the trunk, change the tranny to a new T-5, put shorter bolts in the roll-bar, and wait for Spring!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TC Cobra,
Your post deserves a rightful answer as I asked myself that same question a lot. Let's call the "do-er" John. John couldn't figure it out either until he replayed the scenario in real time; Spindles mounted and lightly greased, bearings hand packed..... then while all the delegated parts where laid out on a clean sheet of masking paper, he simply dropped the bearings into the sleeve which was facing upwards. Only this time backwa from normal. He then picked up the spindle and assembled it to the spindle. Back bearing and seal were fine, the assembly stayed in place. Now the glitch, not realizing the cup/race was holding the outer bering in reverse slid it in place. The chamfered edge caught the rioter just right and stared out square. Put the nut on the spindle and stated torqueing it down. john stated it was a little hard but nothing major. When he had the whole assembly tight he put the dust cap on and spun the wheel normally.

Easy to do once you see it done! The rest as parts, repair bill, push the car back & forth- set the appointment for alignment! Good thing we have a build in "Checks and balances" on these cars is/are a good thing
Old 12-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

DV,
Just trying to add levity to a heated and amiably resolved situation.
BTW: The cookies are what brought a lot of good people together which has not been forgotten. As far as the DVSF....you have the wrong Semko!

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

DV,
Does the photo of this tin and handwriting on the recipe card look familiar?

Note: The cookie queen's tin is EMPTY!!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Hay Dan, You are pushing your limit. You might think its funny, but it is not. For someone that has only had seven posts in the last year and only these BS posts on this subject should stay out of it. You are trying to start a fire that you don't have enough matches for slick.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your "moderation" and unsolicited opinion. DV and I go back much further than you know. Lighten up, the situation is resolved and it's the Holiday Season!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yea, but you are still being a smart a$$.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters; 351w, Crane Cam, AFR 185's
Not Ranked     

Hey DV!

Thanks for the explanation.
Not that it's all that important at this point, but re-read your post and please clarify what a "sleeve" and "rioter" are. I'm having trouble visualizing anything other than a standard, hub, spindle and tapered roller bearing setup.

At the end of the day, I don't think I'd let "John" near anything more complicated than a wash bucket. ;-)

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Cobra View Post
Not that it's all that important at this point, but re-read your post and please clarify what a "sleeve" and "rioter" are. I'm having trouble visualizing anything other than a standard, hub, spindle and tapered roller bearing setup.
Reading between the lines, I'd guess he was using a Speedi-Sleeve and the "rioter" was really a "rider." But it's hard to tell....
Old 12-12-2010, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CLASSIC ROADSTERS 302
Not Ranked     

Dv , just a suggestion when you buff the car again do not sand with 600 or 800. Wet sand it with a 1000 grit buff it twice with a medium cut 3m rubbing compound and buff it again twice with a finish glaze and hand wax your finish product wil be flawless use foam pads for both applications black pad for glaze.i am in the body shop bussines for thirty years and thats how we do bc/cc
Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Semko View Post
Thanks for your "moderation" and unsolicited opinion. DV and I go back much further than you know. Lighten up, the situation is resolved and it's the Holiday Season!
Who the "F" is this dude? DV and I have gone through 4 + years of a build and you come jumping on the bandwagon now?

Not making anyones Xmas list at this rate....

And... This is my "moderation" and "unsolicited" opinion. Go troll some other thread.

-ed
Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

CaptEddie,

All the best to you. The story of you and your Cobra will be missed. Thanks for keeping it posted so I (we) were able to follow along your journey.

Happy Holidays!

John
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
CaptEddie,

All the best to you. The story of you and your Cobra will be missed. Thanks for keeping it posted so I (we) were able to follow along your journey.

Happy Holidays!

John
Same to you John.

The story is not over. It's just getting a new story teller. I'll still be hanging around and while I'm playing with my 06 GT or starting my build of the 34 coupe. I'll post this and that, that I think flows across anything anybodies building. It was a great project in my mind, but not really right for me. As DV and I talked on Saturday. My Mustang is a much better fit for me than the Cobra ever could have been.

-ed
Old 12-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

capteddie,

Is your 34 a kit or an original that you are restoring? Did you know that Brent also has CHR (Club Hot Rod) for all hot rodders, not just Cobras. If you run into a snag there are a lot of guys on that forum with an abundance of knowledge.

www.clubhotrod.com
Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Canea,
I guess I started around 1963 doing body work for my Uncle who owned an Earl Schieb's.
Opened my first shop just prior to my probationary year on the Columbus Police Dept. Started a technique on BC/CC's I call "Plaining". where you take a single blade razor blade and scrape or "plane" the last coat of clear leaving a perfectly smooth surface. (Ever done that, not just a run, but the entire car, inch by inch?)

Won Dupont's TOP GUN award for my first DV, always wet sanded my cars with 600 to buff. (I can't tell you how many times I have been told to use 1,000 grit by many experts in the field!) Had numerous Dupont Reps in the shop over the years to show and explain my "plaining" procedure. Won "Best Paint" so many times I long ago turned down the prize and offered it to the runner up. (Sounds terribly egotistical doesn't it!?)

Remember, or read Cpt's eddie post again, his car was buffed twice, it looked pretty darn good, BUT it did need a final buffing and polishing when Ed took it home. He was to do that on his own-per him- this winter! Then decided he had had enough, and just wanted to walk away, so he did and now I have this fabulous 100K** cobra sitting in my shop with a weeks worth of Finalizing.

** I know, I put on the best parts on the market, totally customized the car with many, many features I had not done to other Cobras over the years, and this evaluation is from me and the 75K plus receipts that Ed has! Add my costs to build, paint change, add,take away etc., Factory blemishes/bluntly screw ups that had to be repaired, the actual cost is well over 100K!

A car guru and might I add a car NUT was here in my shop as many are on Saturdays, saw Ed unload his "Road Dirty" Cobra (Towed on an open trailer in a nasty snow storm from Chicago!). Asked Ed just about every question in the book about the car, Ed started it for him for a second, and watched itself start walking across the floor all by itself, rumbling, growling all the way! Then begged me to sell it to him as IS!

I told him to come here and read everyone of the posts concerning the build and what still needed done.

By that time Ed started showing both of us his phone pictures of his new Mustang and we were both drooling!

Selling the, "Cpt Eddy" Cobra is not a thought that has even crossed my mind -yet!
Maybe some day when it is totally finished, buffed and standing tall. Maybe for a charitable organization, maybe for one of the most deserving people here on Club Cobra? Maybe, just maybe, one day I will ???

All to be decided over time, all I am sure of at this time is to get the T-5/6(?) into the car and just really see what this 351 balanced, custom made for longevity and speed-torque monster can really do!

Drop my finishing to 1000 grit, naah but thanks, maybe for the final wet/sand? Thanks for the suggestion/info anyway! But, I know you know, in the "Custom Car World a guy has got to do what he does best!"

My first "Dupont Top Gun Winner" after it was "plained" and wet sanded with 600!

P.S. This DV was donated to raffle at the third "Double Venom Spring Fling" for Cystic Fibrosis! Chuck Siefke of Springfield, Oh. won the car. Raced it against Corvettes for years, professionally went through the motor gaining mucho gusto HP. Now it can be seen on Curt Scotts pages and here on CC in the for sale section. IF I had the coin I would buy this car back before you could take a breath!

Last edited by Double Venom; 12-13-2010 at 11:23 AM..