Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Replacing CR II Horn (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/110835-replacing-cr-ii-horn.html)

James Stern 05-26-2011 10:18 AM

Replacing CR II Horn

Dv, I want to replace the horn on my CR II. The one I have now sounds like a gelded sheep. I bought a set of air horns and it comes with a relay as part of the package. Did the original horn already work through a relay? Do I need to put another in? Please let me know your thoughts.

Jim Stern

Double Venom 05-26-2011 10:53 AM

Jim,
I've never used airhorns on a Cobra before. It's been so long since I've wired up a CR with their harness, I can't remember if one of the three relays they use is for the horns?
DV

James Stern 05-26-2011 05:32 PM

Ed, do you think it would hurt to take the pos that went to the old horn and put it on the pos of the air compressor for the air horn and take the neg to the chassis?:eek:

Jim

Double Venom 05-27-2011 03:59 AM

Jim, I wouldn't think so.... if the compressor is of any size you definitely may want to run another relay. (?)
DV

James Stern 05-27-2011 04:07 AM

Thanks Ed.

rockman539 05-27-2011 04:31 AM

CRII horn

Jim, the CRII did use a relay inside the car for the horns. Simply unplug the stock horns, hit the horn button and feel the relays for the one that is clicking when you hit the button. Once you identify the relay, pull it out and look at the amp rating on it. If it is the same rating as the one that came with the air horns, reuse it. If not, replace it with the one that came with the kit. It should plug right in. I belive the 50 amp relays have bigger terminals on them and would have to be wired seperate with the approate wire gauge.

Be sure that you have a good ground on the compressor, I would go to the engine block instead of the chassie. I just completed my build and my horns are on the right above the rack and pinion. I grounded to the block. If these are true air horns, the wires go to the compressor, not the horn. Hope this helps you.

jimhurtt 05-27-2011 10:20 AM

If anyone wants to replace their horn(s) with a better sound, I recommend getting the three horn set from a big Cadillac of the 70's from a junk yard. Great sound.

Jim

James Stern 05-27-2011 01:24 PM

Rockman539, Thanks for the good news. I thought there might be a relay in there somewhere. With my luck there would not have been and I would have welded the horn ring into a solid mass:eek:. I will look under the dash by the steering wheel that seems to be where most of the relays are. I will run the ground to the block.

Jim

James Stern 05-27-2011 01:45 PM

Rockman539, There are 4 relays in a row. It seems to be the 2nd relay from the left. They are all listed as 12v 30/40 amp. The relay supplied with the new horns is listed as 40 amp. It sounds like a fit. Thanks again.

Jim

Double Venom 05-28-2011 05:14 AM

Nice to have fresher minds in the game! :)
Rockman: All good info here!
DV

Double Venom 05-28-2011 05:16 AM

Nice to have fresher minds in the game! :)
Rockman: All good info here!
DV