Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Side Pipes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/121726-side-pipes.html)

GregAgrest 08-07-2013 07:47 PM

Side Pipes

I need to either fix or replace my side pipes. The muffler inserts are rotting out and rattling. Does anyone know if a place that can make a repair then re-coat them or am I going to have to replace them.

If I have to replace them, then I need a place that is familiar with class roadsters and can build to fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

lippy 08-07-2013 08:10 PM

I doubt you can repair them. You probably will need to replace at least part. Classic Chambered (and others) can sell you the center muffler section in several lengths, and they can weld on the turnouts too. If your collectors are in good shape, I would think any good exhaust shop can weld them to the new muffler section and mount them. You could either paint with VHT or have them ceramic coated.

MaSnaka 08-08-2013 09:04 PM

What Lippy said is right on. I purchased new mufflers from Classic Chambered Exhaust and had a fab shop cut the old mufflers out and weld the new mufflers in. Then off to get ceramic coated. BTW- the original CR mufflers are very restrictive and I literally picked up about 70hp with the change. I dyno'd before and after so no BS there. I went with the 2 1/2" id x 30" with packing, louvers open to the exit side of the pipe. Much deeper note too.

John

RedSnake351 09-12-2013 01:50 AM

I am in the process of building new ones for the same reason. I should be receiving the parts later today, a 3" mandrel bent "U" pipe to make the two down-turns from and two V-band flanges. My buddy has two brand new mufflers he's not going to use, so he will weld everything together in the next few days.
3.00" Mild Steel, 6.00" Radius, 180 Degree Mandrel Bend Columbia River Mandrel Bending

My present pipes, which are chromed, were modified with V-band clamps a few years ago so I could easily switch to shorty, wide-open pipes for the track.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...ipes_003a_.jpg

I believe I will paint the new ones white with "Flame-Proof" paint, I think it will look good with my paint scheme.

I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days after we start on the project.
Ralph

bobcowan 09-12-2013 09:07 AM

A couple of years ago I cut my FFR mufflers out and welded in some new ones from Classic Chambered Exhaust. Not a difficult process, really. But the results are impressive. I didn't do any dyno testing. But the sound is much better; not as harsh, not as loud.

redmt 09-12-2013 11:42 AM

I have a new set of side pipes for my Contemporary I'm not going to use.

jpetran 09-12-2013 02:59 PM

Mufflers

Go to the for sale section and in the search tag, put in mufflers. Look at the ones that I put on my Cobra. These are extra, but read all about them. These will last a very long time.

Lightingrod 09-13-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAgrest (Post 1256501)
I need to either fix or replace my side pipes. The muffler inserts are rotting out and rattling. Does anyone know if a place that can make a repair then re-coat them or am I going to have to replace them.

If I have to replace them, then I need a place that is familiar with class roadsters and can build to fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

I did my own headers and all. Photo's are on the board here someplace! I used 3" ID Cherry Bombs, they flow much better and sound good! I think they look good check the photo's

trularin 09-13-2013 10:30 AM

Just a suggestion.

Whatever you do, do it with your intent on the vehicle.

I had creamic, chrome over and was getting into SS. But I drive my car.

I ended up, after several years of different pipes, steel that any skilled welder can make and painting them with high heat semigloss black.

If the paint chips or gets FUBAR, I blast and repaint.

Just something to think about.

Tru

CHRIS POTTER 09-13-2013 12:08 PM

Tru, what kind of mufflers did you use. My pipes, from 1997, are still good, but way too loud. I want a slightly quieter, and deeper tone, and have a skilled exhaust guy to do it for me. He may not be sure on muffler selection. Thanks! Chris

Lightingrod 09-13-2013 05:20 PM

Here is the link to mine! http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/clas...13030-diy.html The turn-outs ($10-12) are welded to the Cherry Bombs and you could weld them to your CR collectors. They are not that loud until you step on the pedal hard!

http://www.chinaquick-1.com/c-header-1.jpg

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/clas...13030-diy.html

Dwight 09-13-2013 06:37 PM

Classic Chambered Cobra Pack

Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Home Page

if you want a quieter muffler then buy longer ones. I replaced my 24" with 28" and they are quieter.

Dwight

RedSnake351 09-13-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightingrod (Post 1262718)

Al, I looked at your build-site and shot off an e-mail to those guys you used for coating. I only need the mufflers/downturns coated and asked for a quote from them.
I gave you credit for advertising for them!:3DSMILE:
Ralph:MECOOL:

Lightingrod 09-14-2013 09:30 AM

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with their work and service! They did the Cobra as well as the 2" SuperComps on my old 454SS truck.

Don 09-14-2013 12:48 PM

I had the Corvette side pipe muffler modified to fit in a shell and prior to the turn out used an internal baffle from a Harley exhaust.. Quieter than the Arizona Exhaust, no longer in business, mufflers and for mild street driving could not detect any performance degradation.

Lightingrod 09-14-2013 07:11 PM

3" ID, 4" by 30" body and 35" overall Cherry bombs are $76.00! Now I know LOUD is a relative term! The Cobra is not as loud as my old truck (3" super 40's) but then again it does set off car alarms! If, again if the Cherry Bombs are not to loud for you I think they are a real good deal and they come in a lot of different sizes!

I had the Cobra out this afternoon. A Boss 302 Mustang wanted to play, he got SNAKE bit! I was on my way to the VFW, a few minutes later a friend stop by. He heard us go by and said he knew it was me! His house is close to the road, so?

Options, are always good! Look, listen, research and then make your own decision, chances are you will have a better result than all of us put together, and that's the purpose of this board!