Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   shocks (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/128519-shocks.html)

BA0073 04-11-2014 03:25 PM

shocks

Hope there are not to many threads on shocks. I have a CRII Cobra so here we go. Pulled the shocks out of the Cobra this morning (leaking)and had a interesting conversation with the local parts place. The shocks on my car come off a 66-70 Buick Riviera (part # 32067) Monroe matic from 1994. I said I would like to upgrade to a performance shock say KYB only to find out they don't make a shock for that car. Has anyone run into the same problem and how did you fix it without spending $175.00 per shock from summit.
I also have some clearance issues with the sides of the shock. The other problem, how do you get the bump stops off the shock and are they needed? My choices are return to the 32067 shock I pulled out and replace it or find a shock in a performance application that will not cost a fortune. Any information will help.
Thank you

bobcowan 04-11-2014 05:52 PM

My first Cobra was a CR. It's a really odd mish-mash of parts under the skin.

You only have two options for the rear shocks - Monro-matic or expensive coil overs.

IIRC, the front is a MustangII, so you have a bigger variety available.

Personally, I would spend the bux for some good coil overs, like Koni or QA1. I would not use Bilsteins, they don't stand behind their products very well.

Double Venom 04-11-2014 09:43 PM

I know it's good hard and earned money but Bob is so right . A good QA-1 shock like the DS-01 shock with 250 lb springs for the rears, and you will never have to worry about replacing them again.

The shocks have a very simple 7 way adjustment to them and can be changed in seconds with no tools needed.

And you won't need the "bump" stops on the rear! You do however still need to use the stop that should have been bolted on the frame to keep the rear axle from hitting.

DV

SGR 04-12-2014 06:57 AM

Any one have recommendations for spring rates for the front when running a small block Ford?

bobcowan 04-12-2014 08:05 AM

I'd probably start with 500 front, and 300 rear. That should give you a sporty, somewhat firm ride without being too harsh. I like a sports car with a firm ride.

Double Venom 04-12-2014 02:47 PM

Normally CR uses a 350 front for any SB, and 450/500 for BB's. If you are running coil overs. Gives you a well controlled ride without being really harsh.
DV

BA0073 04-18-2014 03:12 PM

I like the info, and I find the option of a good shock. I think that's the way to go. Thank you for the help I will be looking into coil-over shocks.

BAsque1 04-19-2014 04:56 AM

Have you given a chance to Bilstein, they are fantastic shocks, I just replaced mine and the car handles great.
Lou

Double Venom 04-19-2014 07:32 PM

Basque I,

Just curious, never built a West Coast Cobra. Do you know the curb weight of your car? Never had the opportunity to actually weigh one.

DV

SGR 05-31-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Venom (Post 1295079)
I know it's good hard and earned money but Bob is so right . A good QA-1 shock like the DS-01 shock with 250 lb springs for the rears, and you will never have to worry about replacing them again.
DV

Does this 250 lb/in spring rate apply for coil overs mounted behind the axle (in the shock location)?

Also, does anyone know the rear axle weight and/or corner weights?
Thanks.

FWB 05-31-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Venom (Post 1296466)
Basque I,

Just curious, never built a West Coast Cobra. Do you know the curb weight of your car? Never had the opportunity to actually weigh one.

DV

DV, they are tanks 3100-3300 depending on the build, but the ride is very cushy....long trips you don't get too frazzled