Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Are fiberglass sheets offered anywhere? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/132597-fiberglass-sheets-offered-anywhere.html)

MotorcityCobra 02-28-2015 07:47 AM

Are fiberglass sheets offered anywhere?

I have multiple projects where it would be helpful if I could just start with some solid sheets of fiberglass, maybe .090" thick or so. I've been looking but with no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks

MC

Robert McLinden 02-28-2015 07:52 AM

Try McMaster Carr for starters. McMaster-Carr

slider701 02-28-2015 07:53 AM

McMaster-Carr is never the cheapest but they usually have everything you need

McMaster-Carr

Tommy 02-28-2015 07:55 AM

Home Depot and Lowes sell 4' x 8' FRP (fiberglass reinforced panels) as wall board. It's about 0.15" thick.

Double Venom 02-28-2015 01:09 PM

Mike,
Not that I know of.
Simple to make though, get a piece of safety glass from you local hardware (the size you want), a cheap fiberglass kit, with the type of 'glass' you want, coarse, fine, mesh, mat, etc. A bunch of cheap paint brushes and your ready to go.

Cut the sheets as big as you want, cover the glass with a coat of resin,add 'glass more resin, more 'glass, more resin, etc until you have it has thick as you want. Let it dry, peel off the sheet and your ready to go. Use a puddy knife or razor blade to clean the glass up and do it again. Heck in a month you'll be molding your own Cobras :)

DV

Double Venom 02-28-2015 01:11 PM

Double post

lnfletcher 02-28-2015 01:39 PM

I have made my own by putting down Saran wrap on a sheet of plywood (this acts just like a releasing agent), then sheets of the matt, soak it good with resin, repeat until it is as thick as you need. After it cures, the Saran wrap pulls right off.

twobjshelbys 02-28-2015 03:06 PM

If you're looking for a source still try a boat shop or marina. They do repairs all the time.

Double Venom 03-01-2015 05:59 AM

Nothing wrong with Infletcher's idea. I use the saran wrap a lot also, made your hood that way :) But, if you want one side to be smooth like a molded panel then the glass is the way to go.

MotorcityCobra 03-01-2015 08:13 AM

All, Thanks for the input.

Forgot about McMaster's... they do seem to have it.

Thanks for the tips on making my own if I decide to go that route.

MC

CobraDan 03-01-2015 09:32 AM

Fiberglass FRP Sheets | FRP Pultrusion Sheets | Liberty Pultrusions

Fiberglass Reinforced Panels, Flat Fiberglass FRP Sheet and Roll Stock

PaulProe 03-01-2015 05:52 PM

Try Cope Plastics in Alton, IL

I've bought eGlass from them (fiberglass used for printed circuit boards)

Paul