Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Turn signal (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/141265-turn-signal.html)

Bulldog 07-30-2018 03:13 PM

Turn signal

Bulldog with a question about turn signals mineare erratic I replaced the flasher Sseemed to help for a while car has tilt wheel what else could it be i am not that great with electric problems.

Chicagowil 07-31-2018 12:31 AM

Check your grounding. With a fiberglass car the turn indicators need a separate ground to make them work.

Danr55 07-31-2018 04:06 AM

Bulldog, what do you mean by "erratic"? They work sometimes or they do not flash consistently?

Ron61 07-31-2018 04:08 AM

Especially what Chicagowil said about the grounds. I had the tilt steering wheel in my Classic Roadster and had basically the same problem that you have but after checking the grounds I found that the large connector that comes from the steering column and plugs into all of the wires feeding a number of things had a bad contact that fed the turn signals.I wound up just taking a short piece of wire and wiring around that connector and that solved my problem.

Ron

Chicagowil 07-31-2018 04:43 AM

Ronnie, good info. I had an Audi back in the 80's that had that problem. It would work loose and the electrical would do weird things - (lights intermittent, engine stall, etc).

Disconnect the battery and pull the connector loose look at the pins and see if there is any corrosion. Clean any of the pins that have any corrosion or black soot on them. There is an electrical grease you can buy at the auto store to help keep the pins from corroding. It is usually a white color.

Good luck!

Bulldog 07-31-2018 07:36 AM

Turn signal

Thanks everyone for the info.i will check the connector and yes Dann55the signals come on outdo not flash consistentlythanks again everyone Bulldog

CSX 4133 07-31-2018 11:16 AM

The grease in question is Dielectric grease, and yes it should be available at any auto parts store.

520SC 07-31-2018 11:44 AM

Dielectric grease can be insulating. Perhaps conductive grease might work better.

fordsrule@msn.com 08-01-2018 12:25 PM

But then he might start blowing fuses.:LOL: :)

Bulldog 08-29-2018 01:54 PM

Bulldog here, got turn signals working properly. Replaced flasher has 2 one for 4 ways one for signals my bad. Should have thought about that sooner. Also got head lights working brighter cleansed connectors they seemed to have a little corresion on themHope everyone has had a great summer .Later