Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Coolant expansion and recovery tank (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/142298-coolant-expansion-recovery-tank.html)

rbgray1 05-08-2019 07:10 AM

Coolant expansion and recovery tank

Hello All,

I"m back in the rebuild process of my CR1. Plumbing brake lines and getting the engine reinstalled with new clutch and refreshed transmission.

I am interested in what you guys are using for coolant expansion and recovery tanks? The original CR1 only used a high mounted radiator cap in the upper hose and had no provision for coolant expansion/recovery, just used the fill neck and fitting to allow expansion coolant to flow onto the ground.

I'm not sure if I can use one of the factory style cobra tanks(Mid 60s Ford) that mounted on the intake manifold due to the fact that I'm running March billet pulley drive system and the factory style Ford expansion tank will interfere with the March bracket system.

What are you guys running for coolant recovery / expansion tanks?

Canton Racing Tanks?

sllib 05-09-2019 12:26 PM

I have the same March set-up as you on a Dart (351) engine. I even have a old-style Ford recovery tank. It won't fit. I bought a tall fitting from CobraEarl that breaks the top hose over to the radiator inlet but has a filler cap and overflow barb I run into a Canton tank. Best of all it keeps everything above the fan belts. Sorry I don't have contact info for CobraEarl but he has a web site and will send pictures. Good Luck.

cycleguy55 05-09-2019 01:37 PM

I'm using a Factory Five inline filler with provision for an overflow tube. It's mounted at the high point of the upper radiator hose. The overflow tube is connected to a translucent plastic coolant recovery reservoir in the driver side wheel well. It's not ideal because it's a PITA to top up, but it certainly can be done. I'm thinking of putting something different in the engine compartment in the space between the radiator and engine.

The filler is kind of like this one:

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...r-63730_ml.jpg

The reservoir is similar to this:

https://static.summitracing.com/glob....jpg?rep=False

rbgray1 05-10-2019 06:09 AM

Brian,

Thank you for your comment. I have the same fill neck/cap in my upper radiator hose. I also agree about mounting the expansion tank between the Radiator and the water pump. I have plenty of space in that area and I am TIG welding a brace that runs between the the left and right control arm towers and this will be the perfect location for mounting the expansion tank and my remote oil filter assembly. Easy to get to and also looks good.

I am thinking of purchasing a Canton Racing 80-203 and mounting in that area.

rbgray1 05-10-2019 06:28 AM

I believe a company called TDMotion manufactures and sells those units.

C5GTO 05-10-2019 08:23 AM

Reply on duplicate thread

I replied on the other thread: http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/clas...ml#post1461492

Pasta Power 05-12-2019 05:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I to have a Classic Roadsters I and a 351W with March pullies, I found a shop in New York, or new Jersey he custom assembles the Ford FE style expansion tanks to your specifications, I was very happy with his work, I can look up his info and share it if your interested.

redmt 05-12-2019 04:32 PM

I have a brand new, unassembled brass tank for an FE. You can place it on either side, at most any height. I got it from the old Finish Line when Jackie was in charge. Pix upon request.
john.chamorro1@gmail.com

rbgray1 05-13-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Power (Post 1461666)
I to have a Classic Roadsters I and a 351W with March pullies, I found a shop in New York, or new Jersey he custom assembles the Ford FE style expansion tanks to your specifications, I was very happy with his work, I can look up his info and share it if your interested.

Pasta Power, thank you for the response. The problem I'm having with the March Pulley system is that there is a diagonal brace for the alternator tension that runs fairly near the thermostat housing on a 351W Ford Engine. I was planning on changing the tstat housing to an upright or horizontal style to work around the March tension arm for the alternator.

Can you send a closer picture of this area on your set-up? I also would appreciate if you could provide the info for the location that built your FE style expansion tank.

Pasta Power 05-13-2019 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
rbgray1, I did not think your question through and missing the brace part of your problem before sending my reply. I am familiar with that setup and this type of tank may not work. I have been running this configuration for 26 years without any problems if you decide to change yours. The contact info for the tank is "classicfordradiator.com" 516-293-2175. I will be happy to send more pics.

rbgray1 05-14-2019 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Power (Post 1461723)
rbgray1, I did not think your question through and missing the brace part of your problem before sending my reply. I am familiar with that setup and this type of tank may not work. I have been running this configuration for 26 years without any problems if you decide to change yours. The contact info for the tank is "classicfordradiator.com" 516-293-2175. I will be happy to send more pics.

Pasta Power, thank you very much for the pics and follow-up recommendations. They will be very helpful.

Can you tell me what the distance is from the front of the Intake manifold tstat connection point to the forward most point of the 90 degree up bend in the expansion tank inlet tube? This dimension is critical as i need to clear the tension bracket for the alternator.

Your March system isn't the same as mine and doesn't have this tension bracket.

Pasta Power 05-15-2019 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey rbgray1, the distance is about 3 1/2" to 3 3/4" see pic, if this is the setup you want to use maybe have a concave cut into the neck and weld a half round filler, making certain is does not restrict to much fluid flow. Also I have an expansion take that bolts from the intake manifold from finish line I purchased many years ago that I made work with a 45 degree gooseneck, if your interested I can send pic's of it.

rbgray1 05-16-2019 08:05 AM

Pasta Power,

Thank you for the picture. I dont have enough room to fit the 90 pipe in, I'd have to change the bend or go to a 90 degree tstat housing and retrofit from there.