Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Rear end (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/143384-rear-end.html)

Bulldog 03-17-2020 05:33 PM

Rear end

Guys I have a 92 c r build I need to know what rear end is in it.looks like a mustang or explorer how can I tell which one? There is no tag on rear it has 3.55 gears, the emergency. Brake is inside rotors if that helps.

fordsrule@msn.com 03-17-2020 08:15 PM

Do you have pics?

Bulldog 03-18-2020 07:58 AM

Rear end

Yes will try to send.thanks

joyridin' 03-18-2020 11:08 AM

If the e-brake is inside the rotors, it is from an Explorer. Mustangs and the rest had the e-brake in the caliper. The axle tubes are bigger on an Explorer housing also. They are pretty heavy duty, but they have a weird offset.

Bulldog 03-18-2020 05:30 PM

Rear end

Thanks joyriding just what I needed to know. Bulldog.

eschaider 03-18-2020 05:39 PM

The one on the left is an Explorer and the one on the right is the 03/04 Cobra, Mach I and a few others. Ford claimed they beefed up the Explorer version for the heavier vehicle usage. The Explorer is more desirable and other than the front mounts will fit anywhere the other fits. Internally they use the same ring and pinion, same ring gear carrier, fasteners etc.

Ed

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Expl_2.jpg

fordsrule@msn.com 03-18-2020 05:46 PM

Ok thanks for the pics, but I may be wrong I thought he was referring to a solid axle, but it wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken.

Chicagowil 03-19-2020 04:04 AM

Bulldog, if it is a live axle, it is most likely from a Mustang with drum brakes. The pinion on the mustang is slightly offset where the pinion on the explorer has a large offset to the passenger side.

Take a look at yours and then google images of both to determine which you have.

Alfa02 03-19-2020 06:11 AM

I'm 99% sure Mike (Bulldog) has a 8.8 straight (Tube) axle rear end. It's funny last time we were under mine, Rob (Snake Charmer) said the rear end is the weak link, then we found the tab, that's say's it's a SVO 3.55 LSD, good for around 500HP, so it's still the tires that are the weak link :) If you spin the rear tires (Off the ground) Mike, do both spin in the same direction ? If so you have a LSD. Hopefully you have the same one I have. If you need a pic. I will get you one or two. Cheers Tom.

Bulldog 03-22-2020 03:18 PM

Rearend

Thanks everyone for info. On reared I will do some more investigation on it Tom give me a call. Later Bulldog

Bulldog 03-22-2020 03:21 PM

Rear end

Tom do send me pics.when you can thanks.

74proii 03-25-2020 07:32 PM

They are referring to the LSD rears having clutch packs vice something mechanical like a Detroit locker or lock right etc.