Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   any crII owners in southeastern pa? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/143854-any-crii-owners-southeastern-pa.html)

the shadow 07-21-2020 04:29 PM

any crII owners in southeastern pa?

Looking at possibly buying a classic roadster but I have never been in one or seen one locally. I am in Bucks county pa (southeastern pa) if any forum members have one or now of a member I could get in contact with please PM me or reply to this thread. I just want to see how I fit I sat in a FF and felt cramped, I could still drive it but I could tell it just would not be comfortable for any amount of time on a long cruise.
thanks,
Paul

Alfa02 07-21-2020 09:28 PM

The Shadow, if your cramped in a 90" wheelbase Cobra, the extra 4.5" in length and 3" width make a huge difference for taller driver's, in the Classic Roadster's. I'm only 5'6" so I fit fine in either of my 2-cars, the CR, or the JCF. I have to move the seat up, in the CR ;) The only concern with a CR, is their wiring, the rest of the car, is top notch (Body-Frame) there again if they used top quality parts too. If you have question's lots of CR owners here to help, Cheers TommyRot.

the shadow 07-22-2020 03:41 PM

I have never been a fan of seats with headrests in a cobra just due to the look but I actually like the factory seats with headrest, they are sporty and I like how they are set in the car and that the headrest is raked forward some. are the seats comfortable?

Alfa02 07-23-2020 12:24 AM

I haven't had enough time in the car, to know how comfortable they are. But I did add more padding to the bottom of the seat, while installing the int. Also I removed the headrests for look's over safety, yea, yea, I know shouldn't but I did. My car is built as a 427 street car, so no roll bar- bars, so if I tip it over I'm pretty much toast anyway. The only thing that will save me is I've raced my whole life (Car Control), and always drove careful on the street, (No place to screw around) Any history on the CR your looking at? I brought mine 4-years ago, 60% built, had sat since 92 in a heated garage. Was missing a few parts, but thank goodness for this club, people came though with what I needed. MOST for no charge, try that in your Porsche, or Corvette Club ;) Cheers TommyRot.

the shadow 07-23-2020 05:25 PM

I've actually found 3 that are near me 1 is from the factory from 1991 the other 2 are late 90's builds. the original one I saw was on facebook marketplace up in NH and it is supposed to be a 2001 factory build but I haven't talked to the owner yet. I don't know how much the year of manufacture plays into the buying of one, meaning the newer the better because it had better technology during the build or it doesn't matter they are all the same no matter what year you get and as long as it was well cared for. maybe the forum guys can chime in on that question?

Alfa02 07-24-2020 09:01 AM

Hi Paul, I don't think there is much difference between series 1 & 2. I have one of the last series 1 (1992), 5-were ordered but only 3 were sent, mine being one of those, parts were missing, dash was more then likely a reject, took 3 fitting just to fit the dash, but we did use the org. carpet kit, much better then what you get now. My buddy has a series 2, brought in 1999, most everything is the same pieces as mine. Again, I would buy the one that has the best build quality, and parts. Cheers Tom. If you send me the links, or post them here, the rest of the owners can chime in.

the shadow 07-24-2020 03:44 PM

here is the newest CR I have found for sale up in vermont, its a 2001 factory build with a SVT 302.5 speed & 5400 miles. its on consignment at a shop they don't know much I know more about the car then they seem to? I like the color,mfr year and milage but not the screened in front nose piece, or the cobra emblems on the hood and deck lid then there the zip tied bumperette? ad - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8923052580502/

mrmustang 07-25-2020 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the shadow (Post 1480246)
here is the newest CR I have found for sale up in vermont, its a 2001 factory build with a SVT 302.5 speed & 5400 miles. its on consignment at a shop they don't know much I know more about the car then they seem to? I like the color,mfr year and milage but not the screened in front nose piece, or the cobra emblems on the hood and deck lid then there the zip tied bumperette? ad - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8923052580502/

I'm not thrilled with the quality for the price on the one you posted. Personally, I'd not focus on just one brand, but instead a brand that wiull fit your particular specs. On this very forum, we have 6 foot 5 250lb individuals in ERA and SPF's, a few in modified FFR's (dropped footboxes, seats bolted to the floor), even a few Contemporarys. Perhaps you need to get out there a bit more and see what else is out there, more options and an open mind will help you achieve your goals. With that said:

I think you need to hook up with LVSAAC
https://lvpasaac.com/
BCX
Home

No real organized group for Bucks County in regards to kit cars these days. One rather semi-organized group meets monthly in Chester, NJ (I used to drive out from Douglassville for this) at the ChesterHills Diner on RT206, just a few miles north of RT78. They have members with all makes and models, and all size owners who may be able to guide you for a proper fit....I do highly recommend this monthly (Sunday AM) breakfast group..... Dan R. (the head wingnut per his own admission) from the LVSAAC group usually organizes the group ride in from PA.

Finally, perhaps post in the Tri State Cobra club subgroup here:
Tri State Cobra Association - Club Cobra

It is a bit stale since I moved southwards, but perhaps you and a few others might just be the ones to re-energize it.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.

the shadow 07-25-2020 06:49 AM

thanks bill, as in other posts Ive made your comments are always appreciated. I also think the price on that particular cobra is high it was "as stated" the newest of the ones I found by manufacture year.
with the lack of a local cobra club around me and every car show being cancelled due to the covid its kind of hard to find one let alone a few types of cobras together to possibly sit in them. I mainly want foot room I'm only 5'10" w'32" inseam but have size 12W feet and dont want to have a cramped foot box were my feet are uncomfortable or not enabling me to drive the car safely. and the other thing I worry about is knee room when driving near the dash. I see so many comments about guys having to pad the door hinge area to rest there knee on or hitting there knee on the underside of the dash's, that would drive me nuts. I also realize I can modify other cobra makes to achieve this foot box and knee room goal it just seemed easier to find a cobra that already solved that problem like the CR. just sucks that they are basically out of business (accept for the guy in canada?) so any repairs would need to be done with other makes parts etc.
I have not ruled out other makes I talked to a guy with a FF mrk III and he's the same height as me and same shoes and says he has no problems with what I describe?

mrmustang 07-25-2020 07:14 AM

I'm a 10.5W, I found that the style of shoe I wear in whichever Cobra I'm in makes a big difference. In addition to that, there are modifications you can make not only to the footboxes of most replicas, but sometimes something as easy as a small bend/tweak added to the clutch and brake pedal arms can make all of the difference. In addition, a small 1/4-1/2 inch wedge added to the front seat mount to tilt the seat back helps as well.

Bill S

RAFAEL 07-27-2020 05:23 PM

reply to shadow

Shadow,

I have one in NJ, in passaic county and I'm about 60-70 miles way from you. You are welcome to come and look at mine. I'm also 6 ft tall and I have 11 1/2 size feet and I fit comfortable in the car driving it. You can contact me at 201-852-2587. My name is Rafael. I have photos attached on this site as well so you can see my cobra.

Thanks!

the shadow 07-30-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFAEL (Post 1480450)
Shadow,

I have one in NJ, in passaic county and I'm about 60-70 miles way from you. You are welcome to come and look at mine. I'm also 6 ft tall and I have 11 1/2 size feet and I fit comfortable in the car driving it. You can contact me at 201-852-2587. My name is Rafael. I have photos attached on this site as well so you can see my cobra.

Thanks!

I saw your pictures, NICE ride! I may have to take you up on a test fitting if I cant find anyone closer to me.
thanks you,
Paul

brodie 08-02-2020 05:31 PM

Classic roadster ll

I have a classic roadster ll I live in northeast pa

brodie 08-02-2020 05:35 PM

Hi i live in northeast pa I have a classic roadsters ll if you want you could come up and see if it fits you. I”m 6’2 and I fit in it

Chicagowil 08-08-2020 06:25 PM

Hello Shadow. I have a CR1 that I purchased about 60%-70% completed. I had looed as many kits for almost 10 years before I purchased this kit. Funny, but originally I liked the ERA & Unique. Unique kind of went away and ERA became more expensive. As time went on I discovered Everett Morrison and was very near to purchasing one of theirs because I have always been interested in the C4 Corvette suspension.

Then I visited FFR- liked what they were doing for engineering design. But I an 6' 2"/215 lbs and in my mid 60's with a replacement hip. Suddenly performance at the extreme was replaced by ease of egress.

The CR is not light. The suspension is "old school" with Mustang II front suspension and Ford 8.8 live rear axle. The frame is 6" longer and 3" wider.

The quality varied a lot by who owned the company and the financial condition at that time.

As Tommy already mentioned, I have "hacked" at my dash 4 times to get it to fit. The center tunnel looks like it was an afterthought. But the fiberglass body is one of the most straight I have ever seen! And the fiberglass is very thick (hence the weight). The original molds were designed by a company that built fiberglass boats. The earlier CR 1s are high quality from what I have read. Late CR 1s- iffy. Late CR 2s great quality. Mine was an early CR 1 and one of the most complete cars shipped, I have the original packing slip and assembly manual (as much as it was) as well as all the additional receipts of the 1st & 2nd owners and the MSO!

It is closer to an early non-S/C body design then a 427 S/C, especially the rear fenders. It came with 15" X 8" wheels. I am installing pin drive 7.5, 9.5 X 15" Halibrand style wheels. I will have to add a 1 3/4" lip or flair on the rear to cover the tires.

The body rides low on he frame- so the motor sits high in the car and somewhat forward. So your intake system will be limited. The 94-95 Mustang EFI intake fits the best but you loos 15 HP with it. A non-high rise intake manifold with a carb & low profile air cleaner will just fit.

I installed a Kenne Bell Supercharger on my 302. So I had to cut out the hood scoop, split it down the middle, add 5" in the center and raise it 3/4". Not very pretty but it has much of the original form- just larger.

The frame is solid, but not like the original cars. The cabin is 3" wider & 6" longer with dropped footboxes. The door opening extends forward 6" which really helps exiting the car if your old legs don't bend like they used to.

I kind of like the proportions with the longer wheelbase. I was familiar with the original cars growing up in California (a friend's next door neighbor had a 427 S/C for a "daily driver"- my 1st ride and addiction).

If you want an experience close to an original- Kirkham, ERA, Backdraft. If you want a well performing car that can be serviced by your local Ford shop- FFR. If you need more room and want to just cruise a CR works well.

I hope to have my motor running this month and into the body shop for paint by Sept 1st. I plan on keeping the CR for awhile. An I am already thinking about my next project- a FFR Daytona Coupe. I just need to keep busy!

Good luck with your voyage! Bill said it well, look at ( and if possible) drive more than one to figure out what pushes your buttons.

Thom

incoming 08-09-2020 03:49 PM

Chicagowil, Unique is still alive and well.

incoming 08-09-2020 04:16 PM

IMO, I wouldn't pay $40k for a CR even if it had a real sideoiler. To me, a Cobra ain't a Cobra unless it has IRS.

Unique sort-of redesigned their cars foot boxes when they "acquired" a 6'4" son-in-law.

I've sat in his car and its roomy compaired to mine. My Unique is 1991 vintage.

Alfa02 08-11-2020 09:00 AM

I have to disagree with (incoming) about a solid tube axle car vs a IRS Cobra. As they say to each his own. Our cars aren't any more "Real" with a IRS, then ones with Tube axle cars. (I would think you don't have too many FFR friends ;) ) IRS neither handle or corner better then a solid axle (Production) car. Example: Alfa GtV (Tube axle) vs BMW 2002-Datsin 510's (IRS), My GTV had no problem's running with those 2.5 liter Trams-Am cars. Look up the B-Production class back in the day (GT-350 vs Corvette) who won the championship ???? Cheers TommyRot. P.S. My Classic Roadster DOES have a 427S/O and I wouldn't sell it for twice that price. When you love something, money doesn't really matter My $.02.