Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Newbie Here! Planning on building a CR (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/144502-newbie-here-planning-building-cr.html)

Roylerumble 02-17-2021 08:35 AM

Newbie Here! Planning on building a CR

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I'm from Edmonton, AB, Canada. I'm planning on buying a nearly complete kit that's been in an elderly friends possession for some time. It's never been started. My son is 7 and is showing an interest in building cars and I want to foster that. I'm not a novice in the garage, but my experience has been with muscle cars and doing most of my own repairs. I figured a kit would be a great place to start for my son, rather than a ton of fabrication or restoring something. Plus, I've always loved the Shelby Cobras, and I have a 91 Mustang 5.0/5 speed donor car, and because my son is showing interest, I don't have to convince my wife about it! A first for me! The build would be a mild street cruiser, nothing radical, but I'm sure that may evolve. I'd keep the 5.0 fairly stock with some bolt on upgrades.
I have a few questions, and I'd really appreciate and advice:

the car is an automatic kit, which I would want to change. I did find a thread hear on pedal upgrades. I guess what i'm asking is if this swap is difficult or can most of the parts be purchased off the shelf? Can a trans mount be easily found as well?

The original owner did buy a bunch of the add on kits, like the heater/defrost, but never received the heater box. Does anyone know if CR made their own box, or was it built buy another company, if so, any chance anyone knows the manufacturer and part no.?

Lastly, it's missing the roll bars and side pipes. I'm assuming any local shop could bend some pipes and a roll bar could be fabbed up, but could I buy these parts from a vendor, even though there were so many different manufacturers of kits?

That's my little guy helping replace the wheel bearing on Mom's Caddy.

Looking forward to the build, and learning from all the members here!

Wisconsin_Snake 02-17-2021 12:10 PM

Welcome... At the rate I am going you'll probably complete your kit before I do mine. lol

Pedal upgrade, I wish I went the route of a hydraulic clutch vs the cable. From what I have seen get the Wilwood pedal for brakes and clutch where the pedal hang down and the MC face forward.

Trans mount is super easy... The cross mount is a flat bar that goes strait across across the frame. I used a 2x4 during mock up... The same cross is used from auto / manual transmission. (If I understood your question correctly).

The heater box was made by CR but it bulky. I better option would be to buy a small heater box and run tubes to the vent locations. ie "Vintage Air 506101"

Side pipes you are going to have probably get made.. The CR ones were REALLY restrictive and most people swapped them.

If you search the CR2 forum you will find specs for getting the CR rollbar.
Use that to have someone create you a set. Other roller bars will most likely not fit/work with this body. (If you search my user name I tried to do a group buy but never got enough people but the spec sheet should be in the thread).

Post some pics of your kit when you get a chance.

Lightingrod 02-17-2021 02:34 PM

Roylerumble this is how I did my exhaust! A friend did the headers with a 1 7/8ths wield-up-kit! Sent them off to Pro-Kote-Indy for ceramic coat! These were for a 388 SBC, We did a new set of headers for the LS3/525, still using the same mufflers!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...91518809424286

Al

Lightingrod 02-17-2021 02:36 PM

Roylerumble

https://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/co...pipestabs.html

Part No. 87519CB - Cherry Bomb® - Disturbing The Peace, since 1968

https://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust-Syste...11533/10002/-1

twobjshelbys 02-17-2021 02:53 PM

Enjoy the project time with your little one!

MKS427 02-17-2021 03:27 PM

Classic Roadsters II has a forum here. It might be worth your while to reach out to them specifically.

Roylerumble 02-17-2021 03:56 PM

thanks! all great stuff. I just took a look at the wilwood site and saw a few options.

I'll keep digging through old threads and classifieds and see what I can find.

I have to drive 7 hours to pick it up, but when I do, I'll post pics.

Thanks,
Kevin

Roylerumble 02-17-2021 03:57 PM

wow, nice. Awesome pics to use for reference, thank you!

MGM 02-19-2021 10:03 AM

Let us know if you pick it up! That’s exciting.

I might be interested in going in with you on having some roll bars made. I’m on Vancouver Island. The detailed plans are on the forum here. I have a copy saved somewhere. There are probably 5 others interested on this site, but most will probably be in the states. Who knows- maybe we can get a bulk order made.

Cheers
Michael

Roylerumble 02-20-2021 08:38 AM

I found the drawings on here already! I wonder if Americans would be better buying Canadian as the exchange rate is in their favour (favor in US ;)), but the cost of building it might be less in the states.... I was chatting with one of the last remaining hotrod shops in Edmonton yesterday. Turns out a fella from not far from me bought the other kit the guy had for sale.

TWOOD 03-05-2021 08:06 AM

Classic Roadsters II was using Vintage Air heater box #506101 in 2006 when I received my kit.

G_Edmonds 03-05-2021 01:14 PM

If anyone is interested, I have the complete early 90’s CR heater system that came with my kit. I didn’t use it.

-Greg

Roylerumble 03-06-2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G_Edmonds (Post 1489958)
If anyone is interested, I have the complete early 90’s CR heater system that came with my kit. I didn’t use it.

-Greg

Greg!
PM'd ya. Interested!
Kevin

74proii 03-06-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWOOD (Post 1489943)
Classic Roadsters II was using Vintage Air heater box #506101 in 2006 when I received my kit.

Any pics of that one installed. i was thinking about using it. Definitely not going to use my kit one.

Roylerumble 03-07-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74proii (Post 1490032)
Any pics of that one installed. i was thinking about using it. Definitely not going to use my kit one.

What don't you like about the one that was included?

74proii 03-07-2021 11:34 AM

I will never ever use any Chevy parts in anything I would own. Opinions aside Chevy is not known for anything reliable, just cheap due to availability. For example ever owned an S-10? People go for them because that's what they know. and overall cheaper to build. it doesn't make them better. Other people love them, i have 40 plus years working on cars, ASE certs and 15 years as a automotive sales parts manager that proves otherwise. You can argue the merits of their products all day long, experiences and opinions differ They used what was available at the time, and cheapest for them. The box was built, heater core was provided, so probably a Chevette as well. They used their column because it had a tilt function, weirdly not many other cars at the time did. Not saying you can't get something to work like control cables. I have a complete I would rather use a modern unit without cables, a cleaner install. Odds are someone probably would never have a problem with it, not the kind of build I am doing.