Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: No idea yet. Help!!!
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the Info, I will make the appoinment with the ElCajon CHP. At first the people at El Cajon DMV told me that i can bring my car to get the inspection than there, but after a few minutes of going back an forth they said that I was right that it had to be done at the CHP. Thanks for all the info and help.
Anyone knows of a good upholstery place in San Diego? The inside needs some work and I might be adding new gages.
I do not know the size of the fuel cell, but i will not be able to get to it until next week. I''l be busy until next thursday to be able to work on the car at all.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Dmv

be careful where and when you take your car.
There are real horror stories of what the DMV can do to you and the car if they want to. Especially on inspections etc.
Good luck
Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogravty View Post
Went to the El Cajon DMV yesterday. Finally found someone who knew about it. I got pretty much everything done, they even made the call to sacramento and got me a number. They said that there were still around 40 numbers left. My next step is to make the appointment with the CHP and back to the DMV. So if anyone else needs to get their SB100 in San Diego, El cajon DMV is the place to go.
Amazing that there are still 40 numbers left. I bet the last time that there were numbers this late in the year, was when the program kicked off in around 2001 (pretty sure that was the year).

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was very surprise also, because before they started the paperwork they told me that i more than likely have to wait until the 1st of the year to get the number.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Our glorious economy may have something to do with that!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What is the deal with the numbers left?
do they only issue so many per year?
Rick
Old 10-28-2010, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I measured my rollbars and they are 1.750" i have been reading and find the most roadsters are 1.5" or 2" dia. Does anyone know who uses 1.750" dia rollbars? maybe i can find the manufacturer that way. Also in the rear where the light for the trunk is located i can see that is smaller than other pictures of roadsters. Mine can hardly fit the light and the license plate and othe pictures i have seen you can fit the light, trunk lid handle and license plate. Any ideas?
Old 10-30-2010, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock Coupe 427 FI /BRA 289 Slabside
Not Ranked     

Luis,
well you have been given a fine welcome to the Cobra world with this thread! It makes interesting reading, reflects the enthusiasm that these cars generate and this forum delivers.

It is fascinating to look at the pictures, trying to identify the manufacturer.

What goes through my mind, however, is whether the quality of the car is going to justify the cost and energy you intend to put into it.

New wheels, hubs (and that means brakes too), a new fuel tank and fuel filler. A roof, sidescreens, although possibly a tonneau cover would be enough. Wipers are a cool feature, if only to get the bugs off the windshield on a homecoming evening dash. There is obvious trim work that you mentioned.

Thats already a lot of components, time and money. The cockpit edge has some pretty strange kinks in it, and does not line up at the door cut lines. Any changes and improvements here, and you are into a respray.

I may well have made myself unpopular taking this viewpoint, but I genuinely only want to be helpful, and support a wise suggestion that was made early on in this thread - maybe you should just look at cleaning the car up using the components that are presently fitted. Gain some experience about the Cobra scene, and then upgrade to a car (making hopefully a small gain on the resale of your first car) that justifies the right wheels, details and money.

Don´t take my word (I am only judging from the pictures) on it, but do park your car next to one of the other examples of Cobras roadster from companies that have spent years of developing good replicas (ERA, Superformance, Backdraft, Contemporary....). No two are the same, just like the original 900 or so Shelby/AC´s but there are certain details that are consistently good, and the work involved putting those into a car that wasn´t born with them will cost you more than buying one of the better used cars that are already out there.
I wish you the maximum of fun out of your Cobra, which ever way you go with it.
Stephen
Old 10-30-2010, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thank you for your input and i know what you are saying, but this is part of the fun for me. I could of bought one ready just to drive it, but i don't see the fun in that. I saw a lot of potential on this one and so far it has been a blast and along the way i was able to meet people with the same interest. Body work is being done as we speak and also new interior. It should be ready for paint in a week or so because as you saw there is a lot of bodywork to be done. Anyways, thank you for your input and hopefully someday I'm able to find out who the manufacturer is.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

OG,
Looking at your pics I see your front inner wheel wells were cut open. Some here have done the same, however you could clean up the edges ans install a screen over the openings.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/albu...pictureid=4373
Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was surprised to see the leaf spring suspension. Of course the early Cobra's never did figure out exactly which way they were supposed to be mounted.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are right, I forgot about that opening. Thanks for the heads up. What is the reason for opening though? I'll go ahead and buy some screen cover Monday. If you see anything else that you think i might overlook please let me know. I'm getting the doors fix also. The trunk looks horrible and definitively needs lots of work. I need to run a hose to the gas cap i just bought so i don't have to open the trunk every time i need to put some gas. Some how i need to make some space in there. I know i can 't push the fuel cell back anymore, maybe i can put it closer to the right. I'm not familiar with fuel cells, but can I just unscrew the top of it and relocate the cover some place else? cover the hole by welding a piece of metal and make a new opening for the cover? is that possible? I was thinking by doing that i might be able to gain some space, but i guess i will not know until i open it and see how the fuel cell works.

Last edited by ogravty; 10-30-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm just learning about the car, what do you recommend instead of the leaf spring suspension? Something i can just buy of the shelf? as I said before, any input will be appreciated. :-)
Old 10-30-2010, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think some were interested in reducing heat at the foot box. The headers radiate quit a bit.

In another one of your pics I also see your taillights look to be slanted outward to the top. This may be a unique design to your body.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/albu...pictureid=4363

Last edited by Ralphy; 10-30-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogravty View Post
I'm just learning about the car, what do you recommend instead of the leaf spring suspension? Something i can just buy of the shelf? as I said before, any input will be appreciated. :-)
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...hp/photo/27180
Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't even consider changing the leaf sprung rear end!!!! It was just an observation and tongue in cheek as it relates to the early Cobras. My opinion is you should really limit the dollars you spend on this project to things that can be easily done at a reasonable price.

Making big changes on the suspension, front or rear, is cost prohibitive. Changing out the fuel tank, or how it gets fuel is a good example of things that NEED to be done. Mostly because it's a PITA filling up.

Keep it simple, it is what it is, enjoy the ride and don't get in over your head spending money on it.

This is a good opportunity to see if you and Cobra's are compatible, not everybody finds that to be the case. The noise, the heat, the rain, it can get old for some folks, the thrill is gone. BUT, if your like me, you may find you really like a Cobra and want to take it to the next level. Sell this one down the road and "up-grade". Thats what I did, I went through a couple of them before I found the one I really liked. My current ERA.

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-30-2010 at 09:16 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer67 View Post
What is the deal with the numbers left?
do they only issue so many per year?
Rick
Only 500 a year under S.B.100 in Ca.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ralph, thanks for the link to the Pic, it looks great, also the info about the foot box.

I'll leave the suspension alone for right now. So far the things i'm doing are new upholstery, bodywork, trunk, chroming (roll bar, headers, exhaust) and fixing the gas tank. I'm making a list of things i would like to do during the following months, so every advise is appreciated.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, you are "in" now, and you are quite right - you will enjoy that car all the more - because you did it your way!
The issue with the lack of height in the trunk lid can be solved by repositioning the license plate light higher up (creating space for the plate and trunk release). Many Cobras have a small raised "plinth" to form a mounting surface for the light (as it is well into the curvature of the lid). Make a template from the light base, and position it where the mounting surface needs to be, grind the base surface back and then build the form up with glass reinforced resin. Sand to shape. Did this on my BRA 20 years ago.

Get yourself a couple of Cobra books. There is all the reference material in there. Turning the cockpit edge into a clean full radius that runs through the door cutlines, is already on your plan by the sounds of things. Sit in the car and look around you. When it is stripped it is easy to change things and get them to your liking (looking authentic and/or functioning good). Some Cobra kits have too little cockpit depth, and bolting the seats directly to the floor is a favorite fix for this. If you fit seat runners, make sure you are still going to be sitting comfortably IN the car and not on it!

Stephen
Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

....and another thing, is that really a fuel cell in there, or just a solid tank with a racy looking top on it. If it is a solid (steel or aluminium) tank, it is real easy to weld the old filler shut and cut a new position at the side of the tank. Don´t forget to fit a really good vent tube. This often causes problems on custom tank settups (as do naf pickups, that starve the motor under hard cornering - like my SPF Daytona!).
S.