Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New here and trying to identify a "Cobra" (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/114562-new-here-trying-identify-cobra.html)

Mac Osborne 02-27-2012 08:33 AM

New here and trying to identify a "Cobra"

Hey folks. I have a "blue Cobra clone" here at work that belongs to friend that purchased it (along with some other assorted cars) from a fellow that was in "Bad health". The folks at Shelby say it is a clone, but I am unable to figure out what kind of clone it is. Is there anyone here that can tell me what I need to be looking at to identify the builder of this car ? It looks like a 427 s/c , and has a serial number that starts with 7Y and 6 additional digits .

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mac Osborne, Blackstone VA.

tcrist 02-27-2012 08:50 AM

Post some pictures. All angles from the outside including the cockpit. Pictures from under the hood (many different views) along with suspension pictures.

The folks on here can identify 99% of all replicas but we need something to look at.

Added thought:

It might be easier if you created a photobucket account and placed all of the pictures there. You can then place the photobucket link here in the post.

trularin 02-27-2012 09:13 AM

either way - post pictures.

More detail about the car would also help. Numbers on the frame or body ( not a state issued VIN ).

Welcome to the site.

:D

FWB 02-27-2012 10:04 AM

8 digit vin....starting with 7Y....sounds like a hijacked ford vin

yes the pics will help, is the vin on the car or just on the title?

Mac Osborne 02-27-2012 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys for getting back to me today (so quickly). I will try to get some decent pictures this week and get them posted somewhere so you can look. ( I will attach one I took with my phone to this message)

I am a "Classic Mustang Guy" so I am a little out of my league on trying to ID this car. ( I wouldn't even know where to start looking for body/frame numbers.) The fellow that is the new owner , mentioned "Factory Five" but he was not even sure about that when we spoke on the phone a little while ago. (He just "liked it" and bought it with 3 other classic cars) I checked the VIN a little while ago and it says "66 Ford 2 door convertible" so that was a big dead end. :cool:

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome !

computerworks 02-27-2012 12:52 PM

CMC / Streetbeast?

(...Rounded scoop, gussets at the hood latch, narrow-hip rear wings)

elmariachi 02-27-2012 12:54 PM

Looks like a longer wheelbase car, based on distance between side pipe cutout and leading edge of door opening. If this is the case, this would rule out lots of builders who never made anything but a 90" original-wheelbase car.

King- cobra 02-27-2012 02:52 PM

Not a Streetbeast gas cap in wrong place.

mrmustang 02-28-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerworks (Post 1178303)
CMC / Streetbeast?

(...Rounded scoop, gussets at the hood latch, narrow-hip rear wings)

CMC for certain they are flooding the market lately at prices "too good to be true" :rolleyes:

Bill S.

Mac Osborne 02-28-2012 06:19 AM

Cobra Pictures for ID

Ok folks....Sunny day here in southern Virginia and got the car outside for a few pictures. Hope you can see these and they help. The owner hinted last night he would give me first refusal on this car if I was interested, so please let me know if you see any red flags or want to offer any suggestions/advise. Thank you all again for this help !

https://picasaweb.google.com/1160875...CobraPictures#

Mac Osborne 02-29-2012 02:35 AM

I tried to post a link to some on line pictures of the car, but for some reason it did not post. Here is a second attempt. Hope you guys can see this link :confused:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1160875...eat=directlink

Beastly 02-29-2012 05:23 PM

Mac-

I reviewed your pics- The car your looking at is a Fiberfab/CMC/Streetbeast. Different variations of the same theme. Someone has done quite a bit of work to it. Take a look at the social group on Club cobra for streetbeast and you'll see the similarities.

If your interested in -do your homework. I own one myself. No factory support and a legacy of absolutley crappy business practices- everyone will bring this up.

But they have a solid body-decent frame (street use) and a few unique issues. Dont get into this car unless your willing to work and the price is right. The current market has comparable cars at very competitive price to what your looking at.

Mac Osborne 03-01-2012 04:09 AM

Thanks Beastly for your reply and GOOD INFO. In the last few days I have gained a lot of knowledge (and respect) for what it takes to build one of these cars. ( I thought all you did was buy the car, and install the drive train (wow was I wrong). I had NO IDEA it took so much work to make one of these cars "come out so nice" and your right, someone did alot of work on this blue car for sure. ( and I am not so sure I want to be its caretaker after seeing how much it takes to keep it fed and watered ) %/ Looks to be one of things that your doing fine, until something breaks ..and then your looking for parts (if you can figure out what they used) and spending hours on the phone in the shop "learning the hard way". The wife has been pretty understanding with the 66 Mustang convertible and the 427 R Roush, but owning a "high maint. cobra with little factory support, could push this hobby to a new High/low . :eek:

Mac Osborne 03-11-2012 03:10 PM

Windshield

Anyone know a source for a replacement windshield for an "OEM Streetbeast" ? ( :cool: and NO I didn't break it, but appears to have a old crack from the pervious owner and since I am going over it, thought I would ask ? Thanks

Grubby 03-11-2012 03:27 PM

Hanes Hot Rods ebay auction #350540156317 may fit. I purchased from them for an ERA. Others may know if Streetbeast used OEM type glass.

There is some maker and part number information on the lower corner of your windshield. Hanes may be able to tell you if his will match up.

John