Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ERA Chas
  • 1 Post By ERA Chas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New member - Looking for answers - 460 Cobra

Hi everybody.

I came across a possible deal on a replica sitting on an LTD cut chassis, with a late 70s Econoline 460, 1970 to 71 toploader and a Jaguar rear-end.

BTW, this takes place in Bangkok.

If I go ahead, I would like it to look really good, and handle the power properly. I have no illusions about fooling any knowledgeable people, but if it doesn't look like the real thing, and if it handles like a POS, I'm out.

So I'm attracted to the idea, and I will probably be asking a lot of questions as we go along.

Looking at the engine bay, I think a 460 will be a bit tight in there.

Questions:
- I found a website called Cobra restorers that advertise sidemount headers for 427s. Can they go straight on the 460?
- If I can put on the sidemounts, what carb should I use to get started (without any further engine mods, i.e. no manifold change)? I ask because I'm pretty sure the original carb won't deliver enough fuel with sidemounts.
- I would like to find the original reverse speedometer, anyone know where?
- Did the original Cobras have Girling racing brakes?
- What is the original spec of a late 70s 460 on a van? Like how far up will it rev, and what would be the HP/torque level on it?
- Can I change the steering in the original LTD to RHD? Do you recommend I change for a Jag or UK Ford steering rack?
- It's very hot out here, is there any way to channel A/C cold air without ruining the A/C unit, and is it simple to install?

That pretty much sums it all for now.

Many thanks
All the best
AGP22
Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

AGP,
This does not sound like good raw material to build a satisfying Cobra. And it will be VERY EXPENSIVE to correct its problems to make it so. Examples:
The cut LTD chassis weighs far more than chassis found in conventional replicas. The 460 from a van weighs about 750+ pounds with iron heads and intake. Don't worry about what carb is needed, the drawbacks are far more basic than that.
I don't wish to bear such negative news, but am trying to save your capital and effort on what will be an un-satisfying project.
The best advice is to buy the best quality car you can afford. By spending the money up-front, you can avoid a long, expensive ordeal. Also, you need to study the forums and websites to learn much more about the subject to make informed decisions.
There are MANY good quality, used replicas available world-wide to choose from in the $20,000 to $30,000 USD range, compared to what you're considering now.
agp22 likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you Chas.

I'm only just landing here. Not sure about importing a chassis from outside, but I know privately imported cars command a 300% duty charge.

On the 460, I race cars in Europe, already built a few of them, and I was thinking the CanAm logic that big engines don't require any special grind cams, there is just so much torque and power coming out of those big blocks, that you can drive them on normal cams.

Alternatively, the guy offered a 4bbl 351W and a 390. But as per above, I was more inclined to the CanAm logic. But if you say that thing weighs 750+Lbs, I guess I will reconsider.

On the chassis, I am not sure how to handle that now.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did like the quality of the body though.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by agp22 View Post
I did like the quality of the body though.
Don't be swayed by a pretty face. There is real junk under there-you will know that if you have race experience.
Why not start right here and look through the classified ads here on CC?
There are many quality cars in the lower price ranges with much less work involved to get them right.
agp22 likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually, it's my race car experience that helps me assess good quality fabricated stuff. And the fiberglass body is good, along with the hinges and other visible details. As for the rest, the pictured car is sitting on a Toyota chassis and driveline with some 4 banger in it as per some customer's request.

I have seen the LTD shortened chassis, and it reminds me of Corvettes, they also have the two longerons running along the whole length.

I don't much about Cobra chassis and had a look at some adds. I can see what they look like.

As I wrote earlier, I'm not sure about importing a complete assembled frame altogether.

I'll keep checking.