Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Another noob from Raleigh and Asheville (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/144018-another-noob-raleigh-asheville.html)

Chappyj_NC 09-07-2020 11:08 AM

Another noob from Raleigh and Asheville

Hey guys, my name is Jeff and I'm new in every way regarding Cobras. I plan to buy/build in the next 5 years, so I'm in the initial stages of developing a plan and collecting information. My wife and I live in Cary and also have a place in S. Asheville, with plans to build on some land that we bought in Pisgah Forest, NC (near Brevard). I'll want one that can be enjoyed in tight mountain roads, the Blue Ridge Parkway and other scenic areas in WNC. So, right now I'm just looking for learning opportunities, making friends, checking out garage setups (since I need to build a workshop/garage) checking out member's rides and putting together a list of lessons learned. It would also be a sweet bonus if someone in the area is doing a build and wants a spare set of hands or doesn't mind me peeking over their shoulder or helping in any way.

Anyway, thanks for reading and at some point I'll post my plan and what I end up buying/building :)

t walgamuth 09-07-2020 11:25 AM

Sounds like a plan!

Welcome.

ERA174 09-07-2020 02:14 PM

My brother has a vacation house in Murphy, NC. Haven't brought my my Cobra there yet, plan to one day. When I get out that way I'll give you a heads up. Welcome to the madness!

xb-60 09-07-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappyj_NC (Post 1482294)
Hey guys, my name is Jeff and I'm new in every way regarding Cobras. I plan to buy/build in the next 5 years, so I'm in the initial stages of developing a plan and collecting information. My wife and I live in Cary and also have a place in S. Asheville, with plans to build on some land that we bought in Pisgah Forest, NC (near Brevard). I'll want one that can be enjoyed in tight mountain roads, the Blue Ridge Parkway and other scenic areas in WNC. So, right now I'm just looking for learning opportunities, making friends, checking out garage setups (since I need to build a workshop/garage) checking out member's rides and putting together a list of lessons learned. It would also be a sweet bonus if someone in the area is doing a build and wants a spare set of hands or doesn't mind me peeking over their shoulder or helping in any way.

Anyway, thanks for reading and at some point I'll post my plan and what I end up buying/building :)

Welcome Jeff. Planning to build in the next 5 years is....a good plan! I say that as you admit that you're "new in every way regarding Cobras". The best thing you can do is glean as much information as you can from this forum. Read as much about builds as you can. If you don't know where to find them, ask. If you want to find build threads on something specific, for example the far less common 427 street roadsters or 289 slabsides, we can point you in the right direction. Collect pictures of cars that you like, features of cars that you like, details regarding gearboxes, engines, dash layouts....anything that you like (or even dislike, so that you can remind yourself that "I don't want to do that"). Take it all in and you will slowly work out what you want when you finally start building. You will save cash in the long run!
Also ask questions here. Use the search function for details that might interest you. No questions are too dumb to ask.

We are here to help!

Cheers,
Glen

BigGuy 09-08-2020 11:49 AM

Welcome!

ERA 626 09-08-2020 06:40 PM

you are on the east coast and have a few years to wait I can STRONGLY RECOMMEND ERA!!! Send peter P a deposit as there is a couple year wait on the car. The resale value is great and the overall quality of the car is 100% amazing, they are not "cheap kit cars" they are top shelf replicas. As you get the know the cobra world you will find out there is a huge difference. Oh and I forgot the guys at ERA are awesome.
Trust me on this one you will spend a little more than maybe you want but at the end of the day ask your self this: how many times in your life will you do this?
My first car was an ERA and I have no regrets. I can say that I owned the car for 16 years and when I sold it, It only cost me about $5k to own the car for 16 years... I probabley could got a little more for the car as I sold it to a friend. There in my opinion the top 3 cobras and ERA is one of them...

mabbott74 09-09-2020 10:13 AM

Hey Jeff,

I live about an hour west of Asheville and I'm in the process of putting together my Factory Five Cobra. Maybe we could connect the next time you are up in the mountains.

Just let me know,

Michael

Moritz55 09-09-2020 02:18 PM

Hello Jeff... I have a Superformance 427SC Cobra and live in Raleigh, NC. Welcome the club! If you make your way to Raleigh area... let me know!

olddog 09-09-2020 03:44 PM

Food for thought for you.

- Do you have experience with owning and starting carb engines or only EFI?

- Do you have experience driving high strung (radical cam) engines that are not happy running below 2000 rpm?

- Do you want a smooth easy to operate engine that could be a daily driver?

- Do you care about the history of these cars and want to stay true to the original car?

- Is this just another high performance car to you that only needs to look similar to an original car?

- Is this a car that only has to satisfy you or will a significant other ride with you most of the time?

- If a significant other will be with you, how will they answer these questions?

- Are you a macho man who refuses to recognize his limitations? These cars are much more capable than the vast majority of owners, and results in death.

- Can you resist peer pressure, when someone is telling (begging) you to light them up?

incoming 09-16-2020 04:36 PM

IMO, just research, research , research. Go sit in cars and figure out what you don't want. I used to drive Corvettes so IRS is basically mandatory.

Do you want to do endless burnouts or snatch your neck?

twobjshelbys 09-16-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1482373)
Food for thought for you.

- Do you have experience with owning and starting carb engines or only EFI?

- Do you have experience driving high strung (radical cam) engines that are not happy running below 2000 rpm?

- Do you want a smooth easy to operate engine that could be a daily driver?

- Do you care about the history of these cars and want to stay true to the original car?

- Is this just another high performance car to you that only needs to look similar to an original car?

- Is this a car that only has to satisfy you or will a significant other ride with you most of the time?

- If a significant other will be with you, how will they answer these questions?

- Are you a macho man who refuses to recognize his limitations? These cars are much more capable than the vast majority of owners, and results in death.

- Can you resist peer pressure, when someone is telling (begging) you to light them up?

Add to that list:

- Do you want to drive a car that smells like a molotov cocktail?

incoming 09-17-2020 04:51 PM

Its not a bad drive for you to go down to Gadsden,Al and check out Unique Motorcars. They've been a family owned business since 1977 and are still going strong. Give Alan and Maurice a call and see what they might have in their shop. They have third generation customers.

DSigel 09-18-2020 06:24 AM

If you are in Asheville, give me a ring and swing by, I am just down by Greer SC.. I am at the early stages of assembly .. really spent the last 2 months just rounding up all the additional parts needed to complete my build. I am happy to let you look it over and give you a good visual idea of how much it takes to build one of these. For me it has been great .. all sorts of new tools I was able to purchase for this :) And I do love buying tools :)

desgros@vtlink. 09-18-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1482339)
you are on the east coast and have a few years to wait I can STRONGLY RECOMMEND ERA!!! Send peter P a deposit as there is a couple year wait on the car. The resale value is great and the overall quality of the car is 100% amazing, they are not "cheap kit cars" they are top shelf replicas. As you get the know the cobra world you will find out there is a huge difference. Oh and I forgot the guys at ERA are awesome.
Trust me on this one you will spend a little more than maybe you want but at the end of the day ask your self this: how many times in your life will you do this?
My first car was an ERA and I have no regrets. I can say that I owned the car for 16 years and when I sold it, It only cost me about $5k to own the car for 16 years... I probabley could got a little more for the car as I sold it to a friend. There in my opinion the top 3 cobras and ERA is one of them...

I agree 100%! ERA, Peter and his team are as good as you can get with a Cobra that is close to an original as you can get.

John
ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG