Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunters 96"
Not Ranked     
Default Hunter's 427 96" WB turns up in Hinckley, IL (you saw it on ebay...)

Hello all, checking in, signed up, been passing through here for a while searching the threads on what to buy. It all started when the girlfriend says to me one day out of the blue..., " I want a cobra!", Im a 42 year old, extremlely serious full time gearhead, with quite a resume, and I reply with. "you will need to clarify what you mean by Cobra ?", I carry on with " are we talking 1993 Mustang, or Mustang II Cobra, or King Cobra or ???" She says "AC Cobra", and a little confused myself, I come back with, " you know what a cobra is ? "

Now my first car was a 65 mustang, got it when I was 14 and was driving two years before I got my drivers license. Ive owned every mustang except those from 74-79, and the new retro model of today. Suffice it to say, a cobra had crossed my mind a couple times, but I never had the discipline to "put it together". I even knew what motor I wanted and about how much horsepower and what the HP to weight ratio would be. So Im in shock for some period of time over her statement of wanting a cobra, took a while to digest this. Next thing I know, she's tracking unfinished cars on ebay, long story short, its sitting in storage today, while I begin to procure the hardware to finish it. Weve only got room for one project in the shop at time and Ive got a couple to push through while I get ready for this one.

Heres what Im thinking, the car is a 2001 Hunters 96", has C4 Vette front and rear suspension already in place, body is painted, needs engine, trans, interior and hardware. At this early stage Im thinking LS2/4L65E, should be able to hit around 550hp at the flywheel on pump gas (93 octane). Ive not ruled out a blown version of the same motor, need to look at what I can find cheap laying around from folks that overbought on this last run of the economy (like this car..!) and are in that " I need cash fast" mode, my favorite sellers !!!

The girlfriend is 5'10" and Im 6'4, so we where looking for a stretched car, I like the Vette IRS and front suspension from a "bang for the buck" stand point and figured id round it out with some more chevy, I know some members have already bailed out on me, when I mentioned the LS2, or are reeling from the mention of GM parts on a Cobra. She wants to drive it, not watch me work on it. Im of the opinion the LSx motors are an easier pick than the trition, or the windsor, or the cleveland, been there and done all that. Im looking for simplicity, reliability, integrity, driveability, $/HP, weight/hp, and of course Horsepower itself. That engine delivers all that and more, cant even seem to see a close runner up ? I wont be suprised if it pulls 20mpg + going down the highway.

So thats my grand plan, would love to hear from anyone that knows Im about to screw up, they have been there and done that, or know some one how has or whatever your thoughts, even if you think Im a Moron for putting a chevy in a Cobra, I can take it, the good and the bad.

Thanks for your time and thoughts, Bill
Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Keep it cheap, it's the best advice I can give you. You won't be buried in this car, one day you'll want to sell it. No matter how nice it turns out, you're gonna get pounded on the price with a Chevy in it. Don't sink a bunch of money in it unless you're willing to essentially throw it out the window. I know now everyone will be howling "Cobra's aren't investments, you have to be willing to lose money...." I know, I know...however why lose more money than you have to? Never forget with this car, no matter how awesome and perfect it will be for you, the Chevy stuff, especially the drivetrain, takes your target audience way, way down in scope and size when it's time to sell. Good luck, just build it smart and keep it cheap.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunters 96"
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jockey, the car is being built with 100% "disposable income", aka "cash". I concur, it will be a pink elephant. Being a stretched car, its already there. I will probably end up club racing it in the end, I used to be into that a couple years back and kind of flaked out into other motorsports. We will keep track how much $ goes in, but have agreed that resale is not a consideration, just the fun of having and driving the car. Id like to get it to the point when someone asks "will it do a burnout, she can reply with " yes, in which gear would you like me to do it ?" (I borrowed that from someone here on the site). Thanks for your input, Bill
Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Busted.........nice looking ride...........550 hp is a lot of GO for a light weight ride like a Cobra even if it is a 96 incher BUT that long wheel base might help because that car will be a little heavier than a 90 incher as for the Chevy power????????????keep it simple............enjoy your new toy.