Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   Jag vs Ford third member (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/144465-jag-vs-ford-third-member.html)

Texn8 02-08-2021 04:29 PM

Jag vs Ford third member

I have a pal who is a past Cobra builder/owner. He tells me that a Jag rear end gives a superior ride to a Ford. My question is, if you have coil-over spring set up, what difference does it make. The ride is in the spring /shock set-up.... No?? I need some education..Thanks

patrickt 02-08-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texn8 (Post 1488836)
I have a pal who is a past Cobra builder/owner. He tells me that a Jag rear end gives a superior ride to a Ford. My question is, if you have coil-over spring set up, what difference does it make. The ride is in the spring /shock set-up.... No?? I need some education..Thanks

An IRS rear, like a Jag set up, will generally give you a better ride quality on the street when going over bumps and pot holes and what not than a solid axle will. Performance can be debated, but for comfort that's what he's saying.

eschaider 02-08-2021 04:54 PM

I thought my car rode better with the windshield washers off and the glove box locked - but that's just me. If you don't have a glove box you'll never be able to run the test or appreciate the difference in ride quality.

I do have a buddy who replaced his knockoffs with the traditional five bolt hubs and he says his ride is best when the nuts are torqued incrementally more, by 1 ft/lb each, in a clockwise direction. I asked him if he had ever tested it in a counterclockwise direction and he said the car definitely did not ride as nice — so go figure.

I think the direction of torque increase and the incremental amount of fastener torque increase per stud probably has more to do with the ride quality than the center section choice. But, then again has anyone ever checked to see the ride difference when you torque the ring gear bolts in clockwise vs counter-clockwise direction. That might be a very revealing experiment.

Ed

Texn8 02-08-2021 05:45 PM

Wasted Air

I'd expect nothing less from a Tesla driver

Ricky Bobby 03-21-2021 06:30 PM

I'm going to tag onto this with a different angle. What is the better rear end for street driving JAG IRS or Ford IRS, this would take into consideration the ride comfort?

What would be the better rear end for track JAG IRS or FORD IRS?

The reason I ask is because a couple of the build kit companies only offer JAG IRS and some other companies only offer ford IRS. So the rear ends could potentially be a deciding factor when choosing a kit company.

patrickt 03-21-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby (Post 1490608)
The reason I ask is because a couple of the build kit companies only offer JAG IRS and some other companies only offer ford IRS. So the rear ends could potentially be a deciding factor when choosing a kit company.

No. Pick your car first, your rear will then answer itself. And make sure you have a handle on your budget. Some of these "kits" will run you six figures.:cool:

t walgamuth 03-21-2021 07:04 PM

The independent rear if done correctly will give better ride and better handling. A solid rear axle will be nearly equal on perfectly smooth surfaces.

Unique427 03-22-2021 04:08 AM

The Jag IRS with SIX adjustable coil-overs (2 front - 4 rear) is the better ride/handling package.
However, if you're going to subject it to any punishment, key components need to be
reinforced in similar fashion ERA and Unique Motorcars do to their respective Jag setups.

The Ford stick axle has a durability edge if you envision "Burnout Tuesday" every week.

joyridin' 03-22-2021 04:12 AM

Jag rearends are outdated and hard to find parts for these days. Nothing against them, they work great, but the Ford is stronger and much easier to find parts for if you want to swap gears or change brakes etc.

incoming 03-22-2021 11:52 PM

Dana 44 parts are everywhere,

incoming 03-22-2021 11:57 PM

I love my Jag IRS.

joyridin' 03-23-2021 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incoming (Post 1490711)
Dana 44 parts are everywhere,

You have to change over the carrier, gears, and bearings to match a Dana 44 at least on the earlier units.

novasscnc 03-23-2021 02:31 PM

Mine is all xke Jag suspension nice but expensive, if you are just street cruising any thing will work

ERA 626 03-23-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unique427 (Post 1490633)
The Jag IRS with SIX adjustable coil-overs (2 front - 4 rear) is the better ride/handling package.
However, if you're going to subject it to any punishment, key components need to be
reinforced in similar fashion ERA and Unique Motorcars do to their respective Jag setups.

The Ford stick axle has a durability edge if you envision "Burnout Tuesday" every week.

he is not asking about a "stick axle" he is asking about jag IRS vs. Ford IRS...

Grubby 03-23-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1490610)
No. Pick your car first, your rear will then answer itself. And make sure you have a handle on your budget. Some of these "kits" will run you six figures.:cool:

What Patrick said. Find THE car you want. It should have the suspension you want.

John

twobjshelbys 03-23-2021 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1490610)

Heed this advice. The kit you choose will have a suspension with it. With your budget the choices are going to be limited. Remember the box and stay inside it for your first purchase.