Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   CSX2459R - A Tribute to Lew Florence and Jamie Bargelt (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/145232-csx2459r-tribute-lew-florence-jamie-bargelt.html)

1ntCobra 12-21-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 (Post 1500395)
Actually, they won the GT Championship Division III over 2000cc. Ferrari took the Prototype Championship. Cobra's only had one first place win in any FIA races, 1963 Bridgehampton, driven by Dan Gurney. Besides Ferrari finishing before them, Porsha 356 2000cc, Abarth-Simca 1300cc and Alfa Giulia TZ 1600cc cars finished ahead of Cobra's on a regular bases. As Alan Mann, who gave Ford the 1965 class win said, "don't forget that Enzo Ferrari wasn't even looking in our direction that year, if we'd been faced with a serious Ferrari factory effort we wouldn't have known what hit us.

I think it is more likely Ferrari knew that they didn't have a car to compete with the Daytona Coupes for 1965 so they did not bother. Ferrari would have likely lost in 1964 if they had not canceled the last race when the Daytonas were actually competing against the Ferrari GTOs.

For 1965 Alan Mann just seemed to need to show up with the cars and not bother to push the Daytonas hard to win. So being beaten by smaller displacement cars is understandable when Alan just wanted the cars to finish the races. On the other hand Bob Bondurant wanted to actually race and go for the overall wins, but Alan did not want that.

Alfa02 12-21-2021 03:47 PM

I was told by Allen (Grant) Mann was a hellva team boss, BUT he always wanted "His" drivers (European) to win, and the American drivers were there just to pick up extra points, as you can imagine that didn't go over well with them. Sometimes they "forgot their places" ;) and accidently finished ahead of their European teammates :) Cheers TommyRot.

Blas 12-21-2021 04:45 PM

Did Lew pull the car around on a trailer behind a pickup truck with a camper on it?
Blas

Harpoon PV2 12-21-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1501187)
I was told by Allen (Grant) Mann was a hellva team boss, BUT he always wanted "His" drivers (European) to win, and the American drivers were there just to pick up extra points, as you can imagine that didn't go over well with them. Sometimes they "forgot their places" ;) and accidently finished ahead of their European teammates :) Cheers TommyRot.

Actually, Mann made sure every car had an American in it, so if that car came in first in class, Ford would be happy! Mann knew he had to please the Duce no matter what. Mann's first name was Alan.

Harpoon PV2 12-21-2021 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ntCobra (Post 1501164)
I think it is more likely Ferrari knew that they didn't have a car to compete with the Daytona Coupes for 1965 so they did not bother. Ferrari would have likely lost in 1964 if they had not canceled the last race when the Daytonas were actually competing against the Ferrari GTOs.

For 1965 Alan Mann just seemed to need to show up with the cars and not bother to push the Daytonas hard to win. So being beaten by smaller displacement cars is understandable when Alan just wanted the cars to finish the races. On the other hand Bob Bondurant wanted to actually race and go for the overall wins, but Alan did not want that.

Ferrari thought that Shelby had gotten the 427 cars Homologated, and they would put a Daytona body on the cars. What Enzo didn't know, the FIA had gotten wise to Carrol and him and demanded to see the 100 cars, which neither had! The reason the Daytona's were so slow, was the 289 engines. Mann would get the engines from Shelby, then send them to Stuart Mathieson, to have them rebuilt, then after every race they would junk the engines and repeat the above process. Even then, the cars had to stay below 6,500 rpm. Even then, the privately entered Ferrari's gave them a hard time, hence, Mann's comment on being glad Ferrari wasn't looking at them! Alan was glad he didn't have to race the 427s. No, Bob only did that once, then he became very disciplined, which paid off when he took the checkered flag at Reims, finishing fifth overall, Sears came in second with only 7 cylinders, and clinched the Class III Championship, plus Mann won 100 bottles of Campaign from Jabby Crombae for a bet that Sears couldn't finish! Bob's codriver Schlesser tried to race but Mann new the Championship was everything so threatened to replace him, he slowed down, but his wife was furious and threw a Champaign bottle at Alan's head. Mann was a better team manager then Shelby. He could get drivers to do what ever it took to get more points, Shelby would have won in 64, if he had finished more cars, instead of having broken cars every where.

jolsen42 12-22-2021 01:33 PM

Gee Harp baby, try and hold back your distain and dislike for Carroll Shelby. :mad:

John O

Alfa02 12-22-2021 03:24 PM

Thank you Harpoon PV2, I knew Mr. Mann's, first name was Alan, I was speaking of Allen as in Allen Grant. He's our last Shelby driver, thank goodness he's in pretty good shape (At least we'll talk @ Christmas to make sure he is :)). Susan W. (Ken Miles Sec. plus Phil R., and Al D.'s too) Married in 1966 an Alan Mann crew chief (After LeMans), now she has some stories about Alan Mann. I will contact her and see if she would like to add a comment or two here. Cheers TommyRot.

Harpoon PV2 12-22-2021 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolsen42 (Post 1501272)
Gee Harp baby, try and hold back your distain and dislike for Carroll Shelby. :mad:

John O

Where did I say I distain Carrol? With out him, there would be know Cobra's period!

PDUB 12-23-2021 01:25 AM

Well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1501194)
Did Lew pull the car around on a trailer behind a pickup truck with a camper on it?
Blas

...as a matter of fact, he did pull it on a trailer behind a Lincoln Continental, Blas! It was one of those with suicide doors! I have a snapshot of that. I cannot remember if I have seen it behind a pickup camper... but, somehow, it seems like it.

PDUB 02-25-2022 09:56 PM

Taking it to the next level of prep...

Let's get the body into the first primer coats and get some sanding done.

Part-5-Body-Transformation-%E2%80%93-continued-First-primer

PDUB 04-15-2022 10:33 PM

Fitting the grill

Second primer and fitting the grill...

Part-6-Body-Transformation-continued-Fitting-the-grill

PDUB 07-05-2022 11:30 PM

Hey, Blas...

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1501194)
Blas

I knew I had an old photo of Lew's Rabbit behind the camper! Here it is... look familiar? I tried to shrink it down to meet the size requirements and the quality suffered.

Alfa02 07-06-2022 05:36 AM

Dad's Lotus 7 @ Pacific Raceways

2 Attachment(s)
Paul, what a great photo of the Old Days :) I'm still looking for the photo I have. But in the meantime, I found a couple of shots of Dad's Lotus 7, with me in it (6-7yo), and then 30mins. later the end result, Dad told everyone, I somehow got it fired up, and took a JOY RIDE ;) But the real story he went off @ turn 2 (Big Indy) at Pacific Raceways over the bank into the trees (Thank goodness just little trees), he wasn't hurt TILL we got home, and Mom had her say ;) Enjoy Paul.

PDUB 07-07-2022 10:39 PM

Yikes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1508285)
Paul, what a great photo of the Old Days :) I'm still looking for the photo I have. But in the meantime, I found a couple of shots of Dad's Lotus 7, with me in it (6-7yo), and then 30mins. later the end result, Dad told everyone, I somehow got it fired up, and took a JOY RIDE ;) But the real story he went off @ turn 2 (Big Indy) at Pacific Raceways over the bank into the trees (Thank goodness just little trees), he wasn't hurt TILL we got home, and Mom had her say ;) Enjoy Paul.

Oh my! I hope it buffed out? No doubt your dad's wounds from your mom didn't!

Cool pics, Tommy!

Alfa02 07-08-2022 12:07 PM

The One & Only race for the P-1800

2 Attachment(s)
Yes indeed, Paul ;) In one final "Fit of Madness" we sold the Lotus, and Dad brought the first Volvo P-1800 on the west coast, we told Mom, it was our long-distance tourer, as we took many trips to Cal. and Mi. to see our relatives. But Dad & I just had to run the Volvo just once in road racing mode (Still a F-Production car, like the Lotus) and Dad was leading in the points, close to years end. This is the (One & Only) time the Volvo took to the track, then Dad said, "We dodged a bullet lets no press our luck", and he retired after that last race. I was lucky Paul, my Father was one of my "Best Friends" all though my life. Here's the photos, again hope you enjoy, Paul. Cheers Tom.

PDUB 07-08-2022 07:03 PM

Cool beans! Hard to lose a dad! I miss mine...

Harpoon PV2 07-08-2022 08:38 PM

I think the P1800 is still a great looking car! Besides, you have to love their sense of humor: "think of it as a poor mans Ferrari," and my favorite, "kind of a souped down Ferrari!" Plus many more direct from the factory! Cheers, Dennis