Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Consumer Watch (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/consumer-watch/)
-   -   Not a complaint (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/consumer-watch/135521-not-complaint.html)

bkozlow 12-16-2015 12:50 PM

Not a complaint

Recently, I needed a new oil filter for my new x-terra. Since, I follow the stock market, they are always saying how great Advanced Auto, O'Reily and Auto Zone are as stocks because they have great margins. Well. I did some research on the cost of a new filter. This was for the same filter, the price at Rockauto was very much cheaper. Then there was the $15 shipping charge. Well, I went ahead and bought 10 filters, yes I change oil a lot and my wife's car takes the same filter. Auto Zone, $83 dollars for ten filters with sales tax, Rockauto $47 with shipping ($15) for the same item. Now, I understand why the Auto Zones are such a great stock with margins like that.

Bill K

Tim7139 12-16-2015 01:50 PM

Exactly how valid would it be to evaluate the entire corporate equation based on 1 out of 25,000 products???

RodKnock 12-16-2015 02:01 PM

"Not a complaint"? Then what is this waste of space? Nissan Xterra filters being discussed on a Cobra site?

Recently, I needed a part for my car and I needed it that day. I tried looking for a local Rockauto store, but I couldn't find one. I did find an Autozone though. :rolleyes:

cycleguy55 12-16-2015 04:10 PM

On a note more in keeping with the Cobra them, I ordered some Motorcraft FL1 filters along with some other stuff from Rockauto.com, and the filters were $3.32. Their prices are great - but only if you're not in a big hurry - especially if you're in Canada like I am (things take a bit longer to get here).

Dwight 12-16-2015 04:36 PM

A couple of years ago a buddy's C4 in his '34 started leaking at a local car show. We trailer the '34 to Coach's shop and put it up on the lift. I removed the trannie pan and found all we needed was a pan gasket. I called O'Reillys, they did not have one but could get it the next day for $8. Auto Zone two days $11, Advance next day $9. I told Jack let's wait till Monday and I can pick one up at the wholesale house in industrial park about a half mile from Coach's shop.
Monday I picked up the gasket for $1.00 tax and all.

Lot of mark up on most things at the parts stores.

Dwight

csw 12-16-2015 05:55 PM

As a locally owned, small business owner, I would say shop the local guys as much as you can. I would advise everyone to look up the 3/50 project and see how the support of local businesses help your economy. Not to mention, most of us know customers by name and have advice and experience that's worth more than saving a few dollars. Remember it's not just price that should determine where you buy, but some of these places will not warranty things out or it will cost more to return it then what you saved. Saw it this week where a guy ordered tires online to save $50 instead of buying the locally only to have them out of round. Now he has to ship them back and pay a shop to install the new ones. You figure out how much that $50 savings is now going to cost him! These online retailers that have no overhead, are drop shipping from the manufacturer, and operate on low margins can't out-service a local shop in the long run.

Cashburn 12-16-2015 06:32 PM

You will miss'em when they're gone...

Bernica 12-16-2015 07:07 PM

I'll just stick with buying my WIX racing filters as I need them and let O'Rileys, Autozone and Pep Boys keep feeding the masses...

rodneym 12-16-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csw (Post 1375088)
As a locally owned, small business owner, I would say shop the local guys as much as you can. I would advise everyone to look up the 3/50 project and see how the support of local businesses help your economy. Not to mention, most of us know customers by name and have advice and experience that's worth more than saving a few dollars. Remember it's not just price that should determine where you buy, but some of these places will not warranty things out or it will cost more to return it then what you saved. Saw it this week where a guy ordered tires online to save $50 instead of buying the locally only to have them out of round. Now he has to ship them back and pay a shop to install the new ones. You figure out how much that $50 savings is now going to cost him! These online retailers that have no overhead, are drop shipping from the manufacturer, and operate on low margins can't out-service a local shop in the long run.

It'll never happen, csw. The American public is CHEAP. 20 years ago, I knew a multi-multimillionaire who would drive across LA because he could get copies of keys made $.25 cheaper. Americans will sell their grandma for a dollar and gladly run a local business out for a big box nightmare store that sells Chinese made crap "name brands" that sold out, so we can consume more, trying to extinguish the yearning, the emptiness...holy crap, I'm starting to sound as crotchety as RodKnock! :p

RodKnock 12-16-2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1375096)
...holy crap, I'm starting to sound as crotchety as RodKnock! :p

The OP started a thread about buying cheaper Nissan Xterra oil filters from an online-only retailer. And filed the thread under "Consumer Watch" on a website devoted to Cobras and other Shelby-type vehicles and then said it's not a complaint.

OK I admit, I'm crotchety. :LOL:

Bernica 12-16-2015 09:05 PM

I agree and I'm in your club! ;)

rodneym 12-16-2015 09:18 PM

Ok, it's a trio. :LOL:

Personal experience:
1. NAPA
2. O'Reilly's
3. The rest

Bernica 12-16-2015 09:27 PM

I hate going into any place where the guy helping me could be my kid and knows less than I do (and that has never been much):eek:. That goes same for computers and TV's.;)

mrmustang 12-17-2015 04:05 AM

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

ct clint 12-17-2015 04:22 AM

I would make sure you are getting the same filter might look the same but might not b. It's the same way wall mart can sell cheep tvs they are made for them with cheeper parts. If you look at all the little #s you can't find the same one any where. Buy from a local guy after a bit u might get trade price. Take them coffee it still goes a long way. Been a wrench for 25 years in same shop made a good living because I am set up with good folks. Heck I even text my guy for parts so he has time to get them at his pace.

55312 12-17-2015 05:02 AM

Thanks Bill :)

*13* 12-17-2015 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1375094)
I'll just stick with buying my WIX racing filters as I need them and let O'Rileys, Autozone and Pep Boys keep feeding the masses...

A side by side comparison of filters would have the rest doing the same. I'm with you!

cycleguy55 12-17-2015 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csw (Post 1375088)

While I have purchased some things online, I do support local business - especially those that actually: a) are knowledgeable (they know their s**t); b) they care about their customers - not just their customers' wallets; and c) they provide decent or better service (high probability of finding this with b).

There are situations, though, where I have no choice. For example, VDO no longer has a distributor in Canada, so I had to order my oil temperature gauge from the U.S. to match with the rest of my gauges. And that was after I asked each of the 4 shops where I spend most of my auto parts $$.

63mercury 01-10-2016 10:05 AM

I am a retiree and work part time at the local Advance Auto delivering parts to commercial accounts, we have most parts our retail and commercial customers need. We also have access to parts from our sister store Car Quest, which is owned by Advance, most of our parts can be had the same day with our PDQ and warehouse deliveries. We also have oil change specials which include a quality filter, most of the time the combo is cheaper than buying just the oil.
Just my .02 worth.