Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   Two unassembled CCXs for sale on Cobra Country (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/112667-two-unassembled-ccxs-sale-cobra-country.html)

SunDude 09-23-2011 04:17 AM

Two unassembled CCXs for sale on Cobra Country

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Two unassembled Contemporary Classic roadster kits, one painted, the other bare. Here's the ad, with details of the full offer. No mention of paperwork (original MSOs).

For Sale: Two fabulous Contemporary Cobra body/chassis packages, both long-stored and uncompleted. One is in gray primer, the second fully finished and painted a rich dark blue. Included with these two ultra-premium Cobra body/chassis packages: one original Ford cast-iron 427FE center-oiler powerplant (fully rebuilt—no miles), two original Ford toploader transmissions, two Jaguar IRS units (one installed), one radiator, oil cooler,all the chromed trim items (bumpers, rollbars, door latches, wiring harnesses, instrument gauges, leather-upholstered seats and countless other NOS parts. $24,000 obo. Contact Scott at (760) 343-5457 PDT (ofc.), or email: SKincaid@KincaidIndustries.com
BIG photo of blue Contemporary Cobra body/chassis: Click Here!
BIG photo of gray-primered Contemporary Cobra body/frame: Click Here!
BIG photo of original cast-iron 427FE (center-oiler) powerplant: Click Here!
BIG photo of blue (4" round-tube) Contemporary Cobra chassis setup: Click Here!
BIG photo of blue Contemporary's celebrated (unequal-length A-frame) setup: Click Here!
BIG photo of blue Contemporary Cobra chassis/Jag IRS setup: Click Here!
BIG Photo of rack of component (carburetors, intakes and other parts): Click Here!
Thousand Palms, California
22 September

mrmustang 09-23-2011 05:36 AM

If only they were closer, that is a smoking deal, especially with the drivetrain included.

Bill S.

avanti-176 09-23-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1152766)
If only they were closer, that is a smoking deal, especially with the drivetrain included.

Bill S.

My thoughts exactly.

1 question though, I thought all 427's, center oiler's included, were cross bolted, the engine in the picture is not, unless I am missing something...

FWB 09-23-2011 06:17 AM

its not a 427.....and it has CA emission 428 heads on it, see the thermactor plugs above the exhaust..

Jeff Frigo 09-23-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avanti-176 (Post 1152772)
My thoughts exactly.

1 question though, I thought all 427's, center oiler's included, were cross bolted, the engine in the picture is not, unless I am missing something...

All 427's are cross bolted.

mickmate 09-23-2011 11:42 AM

with screw in frost plugs.....
Smokin deal on the CCX's though. Some nice hardware, 6 pin, billet rear lowers, tubular coil over front with Series III vented rotors, real roll bar mounts and a heap of other goodies

John McMahon 09-23-2011 01:26 PM

while I don't want to build another car......someone stop me...I have a vision of the primered car....

....BB street car w/ 428, no sidepipes, roll bar or scoop...Vineyard Green. Black interior and top

mickmate 09-23-2011 02:54 PM

Sure John you paint a vision like that and want us to stop you??? You're in the wrong place for that pal!

PDUB 09-24-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avanti-176 (Post 1152772)
I thought all 427's, center oiler's included, were cross bolted, the engine in the picture is not, unless I am missing something...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Frigo (Post 1152791)
All 427's are cross bolted.

Not all 427FE engines were cross-bolted. Ford did some odd stuff, primarily with marine and industrial variants of the 427 engines, not all of which were cross-bolted.

TMark390 09-26-2011 06:34 AM

Engine question aside, I had always thought the finished Contemporary cars I have seen were very nice/ accurate looking. This almost seems to good to be true for two frame/body(s). Am I missing something that would make them hard to finish? CA is long way to go but that price it is the same a most of the single kit prices I have looked at.

TMark390 09-26-2011 11:47 AM

MrMustang, I have sent you a PM

mrmustang 09-26-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMark390 (Post 1153373)
MrMustang, I have sent you a PM

Responded........

Bill S.

xlr8or 09-28-2011 05:36 PM

I went and looked at the cars today.

Two bodies as stated with one being painted but never cut and buff and it needs to be cleaned up a bit. There are actually 3 frames because the "dolly" that the painted body is on is actually a frame with some legs/wheels welded on the corners of the frame to roll it around.
The engine appears to be a freshened up '68 428 but internals are unknown. Heads are '68 as well with stock rockers.
There are two top loaders, one has a shifter and linkage but unknown state of internals.
Lots of bits and pieces, two pedal assy's, two sets of side pipes and headers, one set of guages, 4 carbs, 3 holley and 1 edelbrock. New oil cooler and remote filter setup with no lines. One used Howe radiator, two extra dual quad manifolds, one is an Offy the other has no markings at all. Two sets of side vents, a bag of badges, one complete windshield assy. There is a second rear suspension setup but the upright will need to be redone with new axles etc. There are two extra sets of the Cobra LeMons type valve covers. There is no second front suspension setup. There are other bits and pieces as well. Overall the stuff there is definitely worth the asking price but there is a lot of work to be done. You are basically starting from scratch with a painted body. The painted body needs to come off the frame it's on and go to the one with the suspension on it or move all those bits to the other frame.

Overall if someone wants to pull one of everything there and part out the rest to finish the one car you will definitely be ahead of the game. If I had more space I would go for it.

TMark390 09-29-2011 05:51 AM

I was chasing these pretty hard till I did a little research. First off this group of parts, bodies and frames has traded hands 3+ times as it is today, that with fact there is no MSO/ COO or any other paperwork available with the sale. (Not impossible to register but will have its difficulties) Secondly, I do not beleive these are actually Contemporary cars, most likely they are cars built by Don Borders after Contemporary went out. I am not saying that these bodies/frames may still be good(quality), but that kind of killed it for me.

Mark

mickmate 09-29-2011 05:56 AM

Are the frames stamped in the correct place on the 4" tube on the top outside by drivers front wheel?

TMark390 09-29-2011 06:09 AM

Neither frames or bodies have any numbers according to the seller. After telling him exactly where they would be. He then indicated that someone that had built the front suspension also told him that these were Don's cars.

Mark

xlr8or 09-29-2011 06:54 AM

No numbers there that I could see Mick.

mickmate 09-29-2011 07:10 AM

Interesting, I thought Don Borders assembled cars for people. I didn't realize he was building frames and bodies. Now I think about it I heard he was getting bodies from Image Auto Works??
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/so-c...uto-works.html

redmt 09-29-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmate (Post 1153915)
Are the frames stamped in the correct place on the 4" tube on the top outside by drivers front wheel?

My Contemporary doesn't have any numbers on the LF or the body. It's a '93 and the frame and body were bought separately from Contemporary. After talking with Nosinger(sp), I understand that it wasn't that unusual for components to go out the door without numbers.

xlr8or 09-29-2011 08:02 AM

I thought Image Autoworks was Don Borders shop.