Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   Contemporary Cobra Top Template (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/136450-contemporary-cobra-top-template.html)

Shelboss 05-07-2016 06:10 PM

Contemporary Cobra Top Template

Does anyone have the Contemporary Cobra top template that was supplied in the DHB kit? It locates the 15 top pins for the convertible top. If I can borrow one, I would be happy to return it as well as make a CAD layout for future reference, thanks
Art

Danr55 06-15-2016 06:40 AM

I do not have the template. It i do have a top i am going g to disassemble and use for a pattern to have a "slightly modified to fit around d the roll bar" top made. When it is do E I work be happy to send it to you.

DWRAT 06-15-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danr55 (Post 1394816)
I do not have the template. It i do have a top i am going g to disassemble and use for a pattern to have a "slightly modified to fit around d the roll bar" top made. When it is do E I work be happy to send it to you.

I think a secret decoder ring is needed for this post.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

1985 CCX 06-15-2016 02:13 PM

A std top should fit, just add clinch and pins accordingly? No :confused:

mickmate 06-15-2016 03:31 PM

I have one somewhere Art, I'll take a rummage around when I get a minute. I measured an original I did a lot of work on and there was very little symmetry, rhyme or reason to it.

Shelboss 06-19-2016 07:10 AM

Thanks Dan and Nick! I measured a Shelby Continuation series when I was down at the All Ford Nationals, the first stud was 1" from the door side and 1" from the cowl side. the next 5 were 3.75" to 4" apart, then 5.5" and 7" to the center stud. There were 16 in all. Since I do not have the studs mounted, I was going to attach the Lift-the-Dot receptacles into the top first and then transfer to the body. My top has an area for the receptacles that is 2" between stitching where it is reinforced and padded. I will go with the middle and use the numbers above unless anyone sees a flaw in my plan? Thanks all!

mickmate 06-19-2016 06:26 PM

That will work fine and is what I just did. I have the lift the dot punch if you need it.
Bob at ERA has some helpful tips here Fitting the top
Note the lift the dot angle at the corners because of the direction it pulls in.

Danr55 06-28-2016 11:56 AM

MAke sure when you install the lift a dot that the dot on the first location on each side points either aft or outboard.

Shelboss 07-09-2016 05:43 AM

Nick was pointing out that the guidelines from ERA show the end Lift-the-Dot's facing forward as opposed to down with the top installed. I would think splitting the difference would have it release when pulling on the corner but I have never done this before. Nick, I bought the tool before your post, only $68.