Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   Validating VIN Tag (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/142652-validating-vin-tag.html)

jeffgrice 08-10-2019 03:52 AM

Validating VIN Tag

Hey Gang

I was contacted by a gent in the Netherlands who is finalizing purchase of a Contemporary Cobra.

According to the seller this car manufactured in the USA in 1988 with VIN CCX33908 and transported to the Netherlands.

Can anyone help vet that this CCX # would align to 1988 mfg and does anyone know of any history with this car?

Thanks

Jeff

twobjshelbys 08-10-2019 01:18 PM

Wow, I would be very cautious about this one. European import rules are very very strict. Seeing it is supposedly already in Europe it would be incumbent on them to have the paperwork from when it was imported to now. If the chain of possession from that supposed date to now can't be verified through registrations I'd run away. If I were the buyer I wouldn't spend too much time on this one unless someone has dated receipts in hand (a previous owner, most likely) and definite proof that the car was properly imported in 1988. There are too many other cars out there that can be verified to spend too much time on it. If I were the buyer I wouldn't want to get stuck with a car that can't get through customs due to some gap in the paperwork.

jeffgrice 08-10-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1465422)
Wow, I would be very cautious about this one. European import rules are very very strict. Seeing it is supposedly already in Europe it would be incumbent on them to have the paperwork from when it was imported to now. If the chain of possession from that supposed date to now can't be verified through registrations I'd run away. If I were the buyer I wouldn't spend too much time on this one unless someone has dated receipts in hand (a previous owner, most likely) and definite proof that the car was properly imported in 1988. There are too many other cars out there that can be verified to spend too much time on it. If I were the buyer I wouldn't want to get stuck with a car that can't get through customs due to some gap in the paperwork.

Good points! My understanding the Cobra has been overseas for sometime. So its an in-country purchase.

twobjshelbys 08-10-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffgrice (Post 1465428)
Good points! My understanding the Cobra has been overseas for sometime. So its an in-country purchase.

Then you have to go by what history exists at the "DMV" in country. The other stuff is interesting but irrelevant to the registration process unless that process is being disputed.

Danr55 08-16-2019 04:57 PM

I owned CCX 3208 for many years. It was built in 1986. If you stack the numbers that's an awful lot of cars in 2 years.