Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   The car is ALMOST done - finally! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/145427-car-almost-done-finally.html)

767Jockey 12-01-2021 04:38 PM

The car is ALMOST done - finally!

1 Attachment(s)
All that's left is the quick release steering wheel. It actually exists after 14 years. It needs a good bath and polish, and the new Billboards need the letters redone. Wheel spinners need to be safety wired. That's all quick and fun stuff to do.

mrmustang 12-01-2021 04:40 PM

Looks great

767Jockey 12-01-2021 04:42 PM

I'm not sure about the stance. Does it look too high to you guys? I always like the low slung look of most ERA's.

mrmustang 12-01-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 767Jockey (Post 1500182)
I'm not sure about the stance. Does it look too high to you guys? I always like the low slung look of most ERA's.

You'll need to wait till it's off the lift, driven a couple of miles so the suspension settles before you decide what to change.

Bill S.

767Jockey 12-01-2021 06:57 PM

Yep..... that, my fat butt in the seat and 44 gallons of fuel in the back may change things a bit. :p:LOL:

Dominik 12-01-2021 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a Contemporary body on my own chassis (copy of a CSX 3000) and my wheels are much further in at the rear. But that is a suspension length issue and exactly how I wanted it.

That way I could drop the rear to the point that the rubber of the 275/60/15 is half in the wheelarch. Gives me 85 mm ground clearance to the undercar exhaust muffler, 125/135 mm to chassis (front / rear)

I consider raising the back by 25 mm which should increase the clearance to the muffler to 95 mm. Sounds like very little, but makes a big difference.

Front tires 235/60/15

Tommy 12-02-2021 04:44 AM

I too suggest you drive it some before lowering it. Body clearance could be an issue with bumps, acceleration, braking and aero forces. . . Also, don't be surprised or disappointed if some issues pop up after you start driving. My cars are never truly finished. I always have a list of things to do on them. . . . I hope it drives better than you imagined. You've earned it.

86Sebring 12-02-2021 06:50 AM

Looking great, Doug, congrats and enjoy it!
Love the white sidepipes!

hauss 12-02-2021 08:32 AM

Wow love the color! I wanted to build one but friends talked me in to purchasing one instead. I have always been envious of those who have the money talent and resources to build their own. great job.

1985 CCX 12-02-2021 01:08 PM

Doug

Looks high which is spring rate only, cheap fix.
Wheel offsett looks wrong, did you source the wheels with the CCX/ERA offsett which is different than other MFG kits.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._for_Lunch.jpg
Neither is really an issue, any machine shop can grind the center hub to give it more inside stance. That is how I did mine back when, via Vintage wheel....
Bob did it for zip, just needed to know at purchase.

Maybe you bought them through you know who?

767Jockey 12-02-2021 05:31 PM

Jeff, I bought the wheels through Vintage, they're the ones he suggested for CCX's. I'll drive it a bit and see if it settles. If not then I'll deal with it. I would like the back to be just a bit lower, of course making sure there's no body to tire interference.

PDUB 12-02-2021 11:07 PM

Nice look!

Glad you are finally close, Doug!

1985 CCX 12-03-2021 03:18 PM

Here to help if you need anything.
Anything custom about the rear that did not come from Contemporary?

mvanhorn8893 12-03-2021 05:34 PM

I received a set of wheels with my kit, but when installed and the spinner tightend down there was a gap between the face of the wheel and the pin dive hub. I had to have a larger chamfer cut on my wheels to clear the rather larger radius on the 6 pin hub from Contemporary. I never drove the car that way as I was concerened that it may damage the wheel.