Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   Strange parts (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/96632-strange-parts.html)

Danr55 04-29-2009 06:10 PM

Strange parts

I've been chasing a vibration in my car at about 72 mph for a while now. I've found one rear hub that was bent. Mickmate was kind enough to send me a replacement for it, but when I got it apart, this is what I found. Everyone should reconize the stock hub. Mine appears to be extended about 2 1/2inches.

Another thing I did was to check to front wheel bearings. Well, if you look at the half axles, you'll notice considerable difference from the stock axles. THe area that is shaded in red had to be machined away and the angle moved inboard to make the shaft fit.

If anyone has any information on who or why or what and maybe what else I might find, I would certainly appreciate a note.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...m/DSCF0828.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...m/DSCF0829.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...ium/shafts.JPG

Ronbo 04-29-2009 10:41 PM

How bad is the run-out?

Most machine shops can re-face the hub for a small fee. So cheap you'll probably want to have both sides done.

Danr55 04-30-2009 02:13 AM

Ron, I've had the hub refaced, but I have a feeling it's not centered and the tire is hopping a little bit. I'm going to change back to factory hubs next week.

mickmate 04-30-2009 05:42 AM

Hey Dan, your hubs look like Dougs. I believe CCX did a special run of these extended hubs. If you switch to the stock ones your track width will be considerably less, that is the wheels will move in alot.

767Jockey 04-30-2009 08:17 AM

Yeah, Nick beat me to it. My hubs look exactly like yours. As far as I know they are as supplied by CCX back in the day.

kbutler971 04-30-2009 12:04 PM

Hi:
I've been following this (and alot of other threads in the CCX Forum) and just say a very big "Thanks!" for all the great information being shared. Doing alot more listening than talking. Mine on CCX-3057 are probably the same, will check the next time the wheels are off. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the extended hubs over the stock? Looks, tire/wheel interference, etc?
Thanks.
Kirk

mickmate 05-02-2009 08:10 PM

Yet another CCX hub is made as a 6 pin without the big offset. It looks like it depended on what the donor Jag was and how the track needed to be adjusted. If you change to hubs that don't have the offset I think that much difference would start to look like street car wheels in Comp fenders, that is they look lost in there. Dan can you get that thing in a lathe with an indicator on it? You can check both flange flatness and hub concentricity pretty easily.

Danr55 05-04-2009 02:57 PM

Nick, I got the hub turned and squared up and most of the shake went away. I did some more reading and checked into a few things and did some analysis (Ichikawa diagram) on when the shake started and what had been done in that immediate time frame. New tranny, with spacers to raise the clutch cylinder off of the frame. (More spacer than was really needed.) Working backwards, I removed the spacer under the cross member and changed the angle between the drive shaft and the differential about 1/2 degree and guess what? No More Shake. I find that amazing. In any event, it's solved. Took the car on the Route 66 Fun Run this weekend and put almost 1000 miles on in three days. No shake anywhere up to 105 MPH. I think I'm set. Thanks everyone for your help with this. I really appreciate everyone's input.

1985 CCX 05-04-2009 03:32 PM

My hub is like the jag unit on the right, it is not extended? :confused:

767Jockey 05-04-2009 04:04 PM

I am guessing that the use of the extended hubs depends on what Jag the rear came from. I think mine is a Series II XKE unit, and I have the extended hubs. Then again, I am basing my Series II XKE guess on the calipers. I guess you can bolt on the calipers from any early IRS Jag and they will likely fit. How do you tell what the original donor for the rear setup was? I know some cars use Series I and II XKE and some use XJ6, I believe. Info, anyone? Maybe this is a good question for Peter Bayer on your sitdown interview, Jeff!

mickmate 05-04-2009 05:02 PM

105 MPH!!!!! You irresponsible yahoo, that's great. Glad it's squared away. I'll look on the Jag info I have. I know there is a big difference in track from XJ6 to XKE. XJ6 stuff had to be narrowed quite a bit to make it work.

1985 CCX 05-05-2009 05:56 AM

Great question for Peter! Thanks Doug