Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   CYBERWELD.COM (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cyberweld-com/)
-   -   Mig weld a stainless steel o2 bung to mild steel header (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cyberweld-com/129422-mig-weld-stainless-steel-o2-bung-mild-steel-header.html)

Wisconsin_Snake 06-23-2014 06:17 AM

Mig weld a stainless steel o2 bung to mild steel header

Can I mig weld a stainless steel o2 bung to a mild steel header using a MIG welder using normal flux core wire?

Since I am a newbie, would it be much different that welding mild steel to mild steel? (I don't want to mess up the headers)

I have a 140 amp MIG with .35 core wire, .25 is available.

mickmate 06-23-2014 06:23 AM

Use a stainless wire to weld them together and you'll be good.

Wisconsin_Snake 06-23-2014 06:56 AM

Ok, so I take it that I cannot use Flux core right?

If so getting the stainless steel wire (plus getting the gas/tank) would be pretty costly investment, I might be better off seeing if I can source someone to do it.

cobrakiwi 06-23-2014 07:05 AM

Hi
I would use a Tig with stainless wire, good luck.

MAStuart 06-23-2014 08:57 AM

Its just an ox sensor bung. Weld it with what you have. Both metals will somewhat mix with the weld. Get a small piece of stainless and weld it to some mild steel for practice and see how it reacts.

Mark

mickmate 06-23-2014 03:58 PM

That was going to be my next suggestion try welding some stainless to mild with what you have. Just don't leave what you stole from the kitchen lying around after.
The other suggestion is 035 308L FCO Gasless Stainless Steel MIG Welding Wire | eBay

cobrakiwi 06-23-2014 04:17 PM

If you have to buy stainless wire or have to pay some to do the job just buy a steel bung and weld away with your mig.

Silversmith 06-23-2014 05:15 PM

I would styongly suggest that you use a tig welding setup & 309 welding wire to combine the SS to the carbon!!!! 309 wire is designed for joining to two metals together. It is the only sure way to do it rite.

joyridin' 06-23-2014 05:30 PM

Just weld it. You won't have any problem. We did it all the time when I worked in a muffler shop years ago.

lippy 06-23-2014 05:57 PM

I agree with using TIG. You will get a cleaner result.

Rick Parker 06-23-2014 08:11 PM

Use tig exclusively and get a mild steel bung? Never look back........

LMH 06-23-2014 08:16 PM

Nick, have you used that gasless wire? What did you think?
Larry

mickmate 06-24-2014 04:35 AM

Smokey but it works well. Machine polarity has to be set for gasless wire or they don't work fer nothin.