Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Deep South Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/deep-south-cobra-club/)
-   -   Anyone with a Kirkham or CSX in Southern Alabama? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/deep-south-cobra-club/114804-anyone-kirkham-csx-southern-alabama.html)

Art Vandelay 03-16-2012 02:22 PM

Anyone with a Kirkham or CSX in Southern Alabama?

My apologies if this sounds like a scam, but it is not. I was wondering if anyone has a Kirkham or CSX Cobra who lives in Southern Alabama and would be willing to let me sit in it (I'm not asking to drive it). I'm here in Montgomery and am looking at potentially purchasing an older Hi-Tech. The only drawback is it's located very far away. I've been told the Hi-tech is dimensionally true to the original, and that if I can fit in a CSX or Kirkham, I will have no problem fitting in a Hi-Tech.

I'm 6'3"/195 lbs (my legs are long: 35"- 36” inseam) and was comfortable driving an ERA 289 FIA (although it did have a Kirkey racing seat installed). I'd hate to travel all that distance and find out right away that my knees hit my chest or that I look like a big guerilla driving a tiny car. Just PM me if you know of any leads. Much appreciated!

Sean

lemans24 03-16-2012 03:18 PM

a dropped foot box is a must otherwise your knees will not fit comfortably
under the dash

CSX3183 03-16-2012 04:28 PM

Fitting

I'm 6'6", my legs are at least the same as yours, I never had a problem sitting in my car, which was completely stock, even with the top up.

Art Vandelay 03-16-2012 05:36 PM

CSX3183 -- You mentioned your car is stock. I assume you use the standard Cobra bucket seat with no modifications to the rails? Thanks.

Sean

CSX3183 03-16-2012 08:18 PM

Yes that is correct, the only thing I did was to move the passenger seat to the driver's side, and vise/versa, so not to put a wear pattern on the seats.

Completely stock seat rails andattachment locations.

razerwire 03-16-2012 08:43 PM

Same size except I weight more. To fit in csx went with dropped foot box, Ken Miles seat all the way back and down on floor. Also quick release steering wheel.

lemans24 03-17-2012 08:39 AM

i have my Kirkham seat on the floor with the rear inner fender relieved so the seat can be mounted as far back as possible with the dropped foot box. I have a 36 inseam and my car has plenty of room. I sat in continuation Shelbys and ERA's before i got my Kirkham. With long legs your knees really don't fit under the dash

Art Vandelay 03-17-2012 08:58 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Based on what I've researched, I think I could "tolerate" a stock set-up, but to really feel comfortable I would need to use a racing seat and incorporate a couple of mods. Again, without sitting in the car I don't think I will ever really know what will work for me.

I forgot to mention that when I drove the ERA, I had to take my normal (size 14) shoes off and drive in my socks (I didn't have a pair of driving shoes on me). I was amazed at how much extra room I had without shoes on. However I don't want to make this a standard practice.

Sean

CSX3183 03-17-2012 04:46 PM

Leg room

I too have size 14, at the time I owned my car I weighed 230, I found that it was possible to straighten my left leg out and behind the clutch pedal, when on a long drive on a turnpike, quite confortable really. I sometimes think that the softness of people, or of being spolied is way too much.

I'm a purist at heart, all this talk of lowering this and shaping that, and special seats, and smaller steering wheels is just crap to me. Part of the mystique and joy/pain of owning one of these cars is the suffering and hardships one must put up with, to fully capture the essence of the car.

If you want to drive in luxury, go drive a Lincoln.