21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter, 400cid CHEVY...no Remorse
Not Ranked     
Default Hunter Cobra

I was wondering if there are any members that have or have built one of Randy Hunters' cars in the Jacksonville area.
I am early into a build and would like to look over a completed one to keep from "reinventing the wheel" so to speak.

thanks...Ken

You can also reach me at:

mooreken@comcast.net
Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

not in FL, but I have built one and am happy to answer any questions I can during your process.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

There's a person on this board by the name of "Kevin" (that's his board name too) that is nearing the finish of his Hunter Cobra and I think it's turbocharged too.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have been considering a Hunter Cobra Kit, too, so I would appreciate any feed back from owners/builders too
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. I found the Metz builder at the Turkey Rod Run, and took a lot of pictures. As I get along you should hear from me again.

Ken
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I found My experience with the Hunter kit and Randy Hunter to be a good one. The car performed very well and was solid with no rattles. You will not find a lot of people to bounce things off of during the build process but Randy will always help. It was an easy build actually and the kit lends itself to changing things to suit your needs. I went with the upgraded rear end and it was not really needed. I still think the car had the best stance of any I have ever seen.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Randy will talk your leg off about Cobra's. I got the standard rear end and this kit has the 4 coilover springs so I think it will work nice. I went with the 96" version, and there were some body to frame areas that had I had questions about. But it seems to be the same on the other kit I looked at so I will just make the changes. I also think that I can open up the cockpit area sense I am using a small block.

thanks again for the replies....Ken
Old 12-11-2008, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Randy will talk your leg off about Cobra's. I got the standard rear end and this kit has the 4 coilover springs so I think it will work nice. I went with the 96" version, and there were some body to frame areas that had I had questions about. But it seems to be the same on the other kit I looked at so I will just make the changes. I also think that I can open up the cockpit area sense I am using a small block.

thanks again for the replies....Ken
Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hunter by metz motor cars
Not Ranked     

i have a hunter cobra. the frame is awsome. the body was very strong and looked great when finished, but took alot of finish work on the body. I had mine built by metz motor cars in mount Dora Florida. Paul Metz is a rare find. He is honest gentleman who loves cobras and is one of the finest craftsman that you could ever find. He will build you the finest cobra that your money can buy. he shows up at Barrett Jackson in Palm Beach every Year. My car is built ten times better than I could have done it myself and was built much cheeper price than I could have done it. I know that this sounds like an ad, but it is not. I love my cobra and its fabricator. He hand builds the car 100% himself. His paint jobs are so fine, that the cost for the entire labor to fabricate the car would not buy this paint job from a custom paint shop. Call him at 352 383-8388 tell him that Jerry Mayers refered you. A kit car is only as good as the man who put it together.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks Jerry. I am getting along with the build. The body has taken longer that I had planned, but sense I am in the "trade" everyone I will be showing it to will have an opinion so I will have to be a little extra nice.

Ken
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter's, Engine Factory 351W/400HP
Not Ranked     

I purchased a hunter from Paul Metz in Dec. I think the kit itself is very good. I've had problems with the build. The paint job is very flawed which was not disclosed before purchasing. He did a very bad job hanging the sidepipes which I had fixed for a couple thousand dollars. The transmission blew with less than a thousand miles on it for another couple thousand. I would buy a Hunter but I wouldn't have Metz build it.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am building the kit my self. So any fit and finish or Mechanical issues will be mine.
I had looked at the Metz cars at the Turkey Rod Run a couple of times. I have to agree with a lot of what you said.
Randy Hunter is fun to deal with and he sure likes to talk Cobra's, but build ing one from the starter kit is not for the faint of heart.

Ken
Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good Luck, You will enjoy it when it is done.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have had a Hunter for a couple of years now. I tend to beat the heck out of it daily. Once the original punch list items were addressed (approx 6 months) there have been NO issues. 4000 obnoxiously loud and beautiful miles later, it still looks like new. No squeeks, rattles, or body movements. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hunter by metz motor cars
Not Ranked     

This question is for Snakin. What type of paint problem did you have? I saw and sat in your car a few months before you purchased it. It looked great, but I didn't check every inch of it. Also what type of exhaust problems? I want to check mine for the same problems. Would Paul not help you? Your car is very good looking. How does it handle and ride?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The paint has spots and smears under it or thru it. It's very easy to see in the sun. Not so easy in the shade. When I saw the car it was in the shade so I didn't notice it. I'm sure that Paul would of had to know it was like that but never mention it. It does look great from a distance. The car had black sidepipes on it and I asked Paul if he could trade them out with chrome ones. He said he could for the difference in costs. So he did but he installed the new pipes very badly. They were hanging down in the front only about 2" off the ground and 3" to 4" away from the body. They looked very bad and leaked a lot. I don't know wher he got the transmission from but it went out with less than 600 miles on the car. Paul seem to be a very nice guy but I'm very disappointed with the quality of his build. I think the car itself is very nice and has a excellent ride. I would tell people to buy a Hunter.