Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   England Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/england-cobra-club/)
-   -   Anyone out there? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/england-cobra-club/9122-anyone-out-there.html)

CobraBoy 06-26-2001 04:23 AM

Anyone out there?

If any fans or owners of Cobras or replicas from Great Britain are out there, stand up and be counted!

I am a Cobra fanatic and shall one day be an owner. I would like as realistic a replica of a full competition 427 as possible, complete with a high riser, single four barrel, side oiler motor and Halibrand wheels... Dreaming again!

What do you own or desire in the way of Cobras? I'm curious to know what's over here. Any unusual or imported kits? What about engines/transmissions? What do you do for a living? %/

Let's hear from you all.

Have a great day, all of you, wherever you are! :MECOOL:

Paul

BTBusbee 06-29-2001 07:12 PM

Hello Paul,
I saw your post on the England forum and wanted to reply since one else has. I too am a dreamer and am also planning to purchase a cobra one day, hopefully within the next 3 years. I am from Austin, Texas and our Texas Cobra Club is pretty active. We have had two big annual meets and at the last meet we had 30 cars showup, it was a blast. Just helps keep the dream alive. I hope you can get something started there in your hometown so you too can enjoy the sounds and smell of the snakes.

Take care,
Barry

BT SNAKE 06-30-2001 12:48 PM

Spread the word

Hey cobraboy,
I think that if you spread the word about this place to some of the people on other sites in England, I think that they will come.
You can start by looking for clubs that have sights on the net then e-mail them this address and I bet they will be curious enough to try it out.

BT SNAKE:)

Dan Heck 06-30-2001 03:12 PM

I will be traveling to England in September and was thinking about trying to ferret out some cobra enthusiasts as possible local contacts beforehand. I'll plan to check out some of the Brit cobra sites before I go or just wait to see if anyone shows up here.

Dan

Andy FIA 06-30-2001 04:55 PM

Paul - there are quite a few imported Cobra's over here now including mine, but you don't tend to see them very often, and there are few magazine articles about cars from the USA. The main problem with buying kit cars from overseas is getting an age related plate, this is a must if you are planning on laying out a large wad of the folding stuff.

American Engines and transmissions are not a problem, you can get good advice about different combinations from websites like this before you buy, and technical tips during the build up.

The way I look at it is we are now in a world market and you buy from whoever has the cars or parts that fit the bill. And if you really want a high rise side oiler then thats what you should aim for. The worst thing that you can do is to buy second best and then lust after something else.

Andy
:MECOOL: :MECOOL: :MECOOL:

CobraBoy 07-02-2001 05:10 AM

Thanks for your replies!

I have been obsessed with Cobras, both replica and real, for about 14 years now, since I first laid eyes on one. Their looks, performance and the ideology that went into them - if it isn't essential, leave it out - are all part of that allure. There hasn't been another car that has had that effect on me.

I have ridden in two Cobra replicas in my time. The first was a Gravetti - remember them, Andy? It had a mildly tuned Rover 3.5 litre V8 in it, allied to the usual Rover 5-speeder. The second was a smallblock Chevy-engined Ram SC - a lovely car. We came off a roundabout at speed and blasted past a line of astonished-looking motorists! It's not ALL about performance, though. It's the whole package for me!

Barry - You're a lucky guy having such an active Cobra Club in your area. I do get to enjoy Cobras once in a while - spectating at the race track. I shall have my own Cobra in captivity one day, though...

BT SNAKE - You are right. There are some UK Cobra bulletin boards. I shall have to post on them and try to entice a few members over to CC.

Dan Heck - Which part of England? Unfortunately, I am extremely busy at work at present and I am about to move house too, so it is unlikely that I could be of much help when you visit. However, if you'd like the names and addresses of some manufacturers and owners' clubs, let me know.

Andy - Is it possible to register a new, imported kit with a period number plate? I hope so. My ideal car would be a Kirkham 427 S/C, but wouldn't that be everybody's? :LOL: Seriously, though, an ERA, Unique, etc. would suffice... tee hee! ;) You are right about not compromising too. There again, I really like the 289 FIA cars too, so a cheaper alternative might be a Hawk 289. What do you think about them?

Have a good day, all.

Regards,

Paul
:3DSMILE:

rstanley 07-03-2001 01:55 PM

Hi

I run the website for the UK Cobra replica Club at http://www.cobraclub.com.

I have a Gardner Douglas with a superchargered 350 chevy (around 550 to 600hp) and live in Northampton.

Why not have a look at our forum, and let me know what you think of the site in general.

All the bets

Robert

Andy FIA 07-03-2001 03:53 PM

Paul - The Kirkhams are available theough Gerry Hawkridge of Hawk Cars, incidently the Hawk 289's are well worth a look at, Two of my friends drive Hawk 289's, one with a Weber equiped 289 Ford and the other a 4.0 Litre Rover.

The Crendon 427 is a car worth looking at, it is at the top end of the British market, is well capable of taking a big block, has an authentic looking round tube chassis and is generally a quality kit.

Andy
:MECOOL: :MECOOL: :MECOOL:

Specialk 07-03-2001 04:23 PM

RAM cobras

Do you guys know anything about RAM Cobras? I heard they had their chassis designed by Reynard (F1 gods)? That is like the ultimate, a F1 Cobra!

kris

jwheel55 11-10-2001 03:55 PM

Dear kris,
I know it's some time since you posted your question but I've only just discovered the site. I've got a L. R. Roadsters Ram cobra. It was indeed designed by Aidrian Reynard as far as I'm aware and that's what the advertising said when I bought the chassis and body in 1985.The chassis is very stiff and runs Jaguar suspension and brakes and another frame is put into the body to give that strength without loads.Bolts connect the two through Metalistic rubber bushes that insulate the chassis from the body. I put a Ford 289 cu.in motor in it with a fourspeed toploader from a -66 Mustang which I bought locally.
It's been a great car to drive all these years and I upgrade some part most years. Regards John.

pcoghlan 05-26-2003 07:11 AM

Just a quick reply. I own a Gardner Douglas Euro 427 (www.gdcars.com). It is fitted with a 383 stroker putting out @420 HP with a Tremec TKO.

I am actually based in Dublin, Ireland and so this is an unusual beast to be sure! :cool: :cool:

The Cobra is heading over to the US eakry next year to complete a fundraising trip (www.driveforce.org) throughout all lower 48-states, watch this space!:o

Paul

pderouss 05-26-2003 11:52 AM

Specialk.

I used to have a RAM but had to sell it as my wife felt that one Cobra was enough. The chassis is very nice due to a high level of ridgidity though the downside is that you end up with a very wide (and high) transmission tunnel and not much room for your feet. The upside (apart from the handling) is that the tunnel makes a great armrest. Unfortunatly RAMs are no longer produced. At one stage it was the only replica authorised by Shelby though as with many of his relationships this one also went sour. There is a picture of mine (green car) in my gallery.
The GD that is refered to has similar chassis design fundamentals so is reckoned to be the best handling car currently available though the looks are less "pure" for those that seek originality.

pcoghlan 05-26-2003 12:36 PM

Spot on, the GD Euro handles like a dream, sticks to the road like poo to the proverbial blanket. it has a great chassis with independent front and rear suspension and now with torque sensing LSD from Dana.

Robert Stanley, the webmaster for www.cobraclub.com, has a blown version which hits 0-60 in 3.5 secs and handles like a race car!

There is also the GD Jag which utilises a Jag donor vehicle. Handling not quite so good but a good bit cheaper to build.

Paul

GD Euro #51, 383ci stroker

hotlittlecobra 06-10-2003 03:19 AM

Hi all I have also fell in love with the 427 SC 1967 Cobra years ago. I am originally from Dallas Texas, but am now based in England as a mechanic at a RAF Base. I am looking for a place to see cobras, talk to people who enjoy the and maybe get to take a ride in someone elses.. Wink! I hope to build one from scratch one day. When I win the lotto or pigs fly!!!!!!!! :D

BMK 09-24-2003 06:04 AM

Hi all. :3DSMILE:

Recently meet a guy in South Australia who has a Gardner Douglas car.

Anton his name purchased the navy blue (Gel coat) car from a friend in England. %/

What a great looking car. I was impressed with the workmanship and the body was great. :3DSMILE:

It fooled me :confused: I did not realise it was Gel coat.

Robert you may know the car.:confused:

It has a similiar red chassis to yours and also runs the chev engine.

It is based in Portland Victoria just east of the South Australian border.

I do not know how long Anton has had the car. :eek:

Cheers :3DSMILE:

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia. **)