Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fdjake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Driving impressions of an ERA 427 Cobra

Hi Folks....I'm a new guy here and just wanted to give some impressions of my ERA 427 Cobra. If you agree GREAT....If you don't...GREAT....I stopped debating on internet forums a long time ago...It's a waste of my time....Enjoy!

Let me give you a little background. I'm a real estate developer and have owned a lot of interesting cars over the years...Nothing too crazy, but a nice variety. Including...Various MGB's MGA's Triumph's, Porsche 911's, a Porsche Speedster replica (Beck)..Vintage Mustangs, Jags, 240Z's, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Here's what I've learned over time...

A new to you car is like a pair of new jeans...They don't feel comfortable until you get some MILES on them. I'm always sceptical of a new car owner going on and on about how great his new "whatever" is and then 6 months later it's on Ebay...I'm not knocking that in anyway...Hell, I've DONE THAT!! But over TIME you learn to temper your reviews.

So....After all that BS...Here it is.

First impressions....

This car RIDES a hell of a lot better than I ever thought it would or COULD. My son mentioned that he liked the ride better than my 85 Carrera...I agree with him. The ERA is a very well damped car...Bumps don't upset it....It just swallows them up and moves on. Also helping here are the ERA seats which are a work of art...Not because they LOOK good, but because of what's INSIDE...You can FEEL those rubber strips the seat foam is suspended across. This is NOT and easy or cheap way to build a Cobra seat...But it's the ORIGINAL/EXPENSIVE way and you can feel it when you drive the car. Very comfortable! My Beck had fiberglass shells with foam over them...Those seats absolutely SUCKED for anything over a 20 minute ride.

Handling....I was suprised...The car turns in nicely, it corners very flat and after a few days behind the wheel you sort of get use to that massive amount of horsepower under the hood. The steering is light even with the big engine and big tires...Having said that as a new owner, I compare this car to handling a LOADED SHOTGUN....Perfectly SAFE, as long as you RESPECT IT and don't do stupid sh** while handling it. This car will rip your head off in a SECOND if you don't respect it....Let me clearify that statement. This is NOT a scary car to drive...It can cruise along easily in 4th gear (toploader) on back roads and just lay back.....OR....It can rip your arms off...Your choice....Choose wisely. But REMEMBER.....Any car can do that to you....Get a Toyota Corolla going 100mph on a back road and the results will be the same...The COBRA will just do it FASTER!

Other observations....This sucker is LOUD...Side pipes on race cars (which this is) tend to do that...If you want quiet...Buy a Lexus...I can't even HEAR my wifes RX-350 running. But I don't get in that car to take it down my favorite back road either. ERA sells a quiet side exhaust...If anyone here is running a set I'd love to hear from you about the difference those pipes make. My neighbors would LOVE it too!

So......Here's what I can tell you.....My BECK Speedster was fun...But it felt like a kit car.....This ERA feels like an E-TYPE Jag with BIG BALLS. It's smooth, rides really nice, can be brutally fast, is always beautiful, and man...It just feels GREAT to get in this thing and GO!!!!!
domenic saia likes this.

Last edited by fdjake; 05-08-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Good to hear. I look forward to having the first drive in mine when I get it all together.

Sounds like you fell into a heck of a deal on that car. I'm building and painting my own on a Street Roadster configuration with a moderate priced KC engine and I haven't added receipts up but it is probably going to finish up between $55k and $60k doing my own work. I don't want to add the cost up particularly and my wife doesn't want to know.

Congratulations.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default i agree

the first few times out...I was scared silly....i'm still getting used to it ...but getting a little more comfortable...it draws a lot of looks and thumbs up...thats probably equally nerve racking...

I agree don't be stupid and just get some seat time in
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yea....I was more than a little intimidated by the car when I first drove it. (still am)

A friend asked me what it's like and this is my reply:

"It's like handling a loaded shotgun....It demands respect and you don't play with it. Never point it at anything you don't intend to shoot, always have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and never carry it with your finger on the trigger."

Now a whole LOT of that is outright BS....But most of it is true. The car has 2 distinct personalities....One's a big old friendly dog....Powerful, strong, knocks over tables waggin' his tale...The other....Well the other is

A COBRA!!!!

Play with it and it will BITE YOU!

Last edited by fdjake; 05-08-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Excellent!
...so where are the pictures?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Loud Exhaust is a part of the temperament. If you call ERA & talk with Peter, he can go through the exhaust options with you.. Keeping the RPMs low around the neighbors doesn't hurt either
Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I promise to get some pics up soon...Just waiting for this crappy New England weather to clear so I can take some nice shots.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fdjake

Peter P. should place you on the payroll for propagating that persuasive promotional post.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

An ERA is a fantastic, well engineered vehicle. Good luck with yours and post lots of pictures!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Can't wait to see the pics!

Ray
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Neutral     

Welcome to the family. Hope you enjoy the ride both figuratively and literally.
Looks like you're off to a good start.
Going on my eighth driving season and still like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of quarters.
DonC