Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default door striker wedge

This striker wedge was loose and came off in my hand after trying to figure out why my door wouldn't shut consistently. Can't figure out how to secure it back on. Any advise?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

this pic should help
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 09-30-2014, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Is that stud threaded, then helicoil the hole. If it was pressed into the piece it was in, you could press it back in, then drill thru the piece and stud and put a roll pin in it.
Or just buy a new one, although it's probably sold as a set.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I thought they were threaded pieces. Guess I'm about to learn something new.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I've never seen the stud separated from the striker. I've always assumed that it was cast into the striker. If it has come apart, the whole striker assembly must be replaced.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's a photo of the "other" side. As you can see there are a handful of washers that help to space out the striker so it aligns. I assumed that was done during fine tuning of the assembly - suggesting that the wedge MUST be able to be removed and put back in. If it was "cast", why would there be adjust ability via washers?

I'm wondering if I can weld it somehow back together until I get a new assembly. It's almost as if there should be a set screw of some kind holding this thing on, but there isn't. See the other photos that show a close up of the "non threaded" area. I'm trying to figure out a way to drive this car on SATURDAY for a final event of the season.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Is that stud threaded, then helicoil the hole. If it was pressed into the piece it was in, you could press it back in, then drill thru the piece and stud and put a roll pin in it.
Or just buy a new one, although it's probably sold as a set.
This seems to make the most sense right now, but I must ask myself why this wasn't done in the first place. I can't help but feel I'm missing something here... Of course I don't have the capability to do this myself with my tool set.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

With the knurling on the pin and the corresponding knurl marks inside the hole, it was just a press fit. Press it back in and drill thru the side for a roll pin to pin it back into place until you can get a new one.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I see both pieces are splined to prevent rotation of the stud. You might try pressing the stud back in with some Locktite Red.

p.s. It's the same latch used on many old british cars, such as the MG "t" series. Call one of the vendors ( Victoria British, Moss Motors, or the like ) and have them o'nite one to you, or better yet, check with a local British/ sports car repair/restoration shop, they might have one laying around.

Good luck !
Ted

Last edited by MOTORHEAD; 10-01-2014 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: ps
Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
I see both pieces are splined to prevent rotation of the stud. You might try pressing the stud back in with some Locktite Red.
Yep, and they are stripped as rotation is easily possible now if I'm simply using the pressure of my hands to press it in and rotate. Is there a special way/tool to to "press fit" these back together? I'm not familiar with press fit connections. How about some JB weld?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

Take a center punch and where the splines are make 2 or 3 punch marks to expand it until you start to get a tight fit. Then press it back in with some lock tight or JB weld, unscrew the nut add necessary washers to align put all back, tighten nut...

Paul T.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If its loose enough to turn by hand, there might be room for some jb weld.
Someone must have over torqued the nut to break the stud loose. Do you know someone with a drill press that can pin it for you, or check a local machine shop. is your car an ERA? If so, call them for a new part.
Did you see my PS on my previous post?
Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     

center punch it a stated before to expand the metal on the shaft and you can always JB Weld the shaft back to the hole!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Here's a photo of the "other" side. As you can see there are a handful of washers that help to space out the striker so it aligns. I assumed that was done during fine tuning of the assembly - suggesting that the wedge MUST be able to be removed and put back in. If it was "cast", why would there be adjust ability via washers.

That's what I thought also. Matter of fact, I think there is a passage in the ERA manual about making adjustments to the striker by separating that piece and moving washers from front to rear or vice-versa(?) to fine tune the latch. On second though, I guess it's the end at the nut that may be threaded. It looks like it has some striations like a wheel stud. You might try epoxing it with some good 2-part epoxy adhesive. Not sure if that would hold up very long or not.

Last edited by DanEC; 10-01-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well folks, I used my handy bench vise and some locktite to try and repress the fitting. Seems to hold without trying to pull it apart - got it re-installed and tested the door, cranked on it, etc... Hopefully it will hold until I can get another part. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

If the wedge is ferrous (magnetic) sugggest you have someone qualified silver solder the pieces together, it will never come apart again. # 242 Red Locktite is good but it may not take the repeated pounding. Try to avoid slamming the door shut if you currently are (?) this is not an intended criticizm. Pull it closed from about 4 inches.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 10-01-2014 at 03:30 PM..